Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
imhotep
Vendor - Optical Supports

Reged: 02/14/07

Loc: Tennessee
Anyone imaging with the Atlas Pro? new
      #6176445 - 11/04/13 10:22 PM

Just curious if anyone has a report on this mount's performance during long exposures. A customer turned me onto it but I've not been able to dig up any imaging examples or testimonials. I'm really curious about how the belt-driven system measures up against the Atlas EQ-G I have used for so long.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mike X.
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/28/10

Loc: Greece-Athens and Rome-Italy
Re: Anyone imaging with the Atlas Pro? new [Re: imhotep]
      #6176566 - 11/04/13 11:26 PM

If it is of help..you could check my astrobin page of 2013 ,many of the shots are made with an azeq6 gt which is identical to an atlas pro.
Personally I am very happy with it.

http://www.astrobin.com/users/Michael_Xyntaris/

My scope doesn't has a field flattener so the images on the edges present curved stars.you should check the field in the middle of any image.
On each photo it is specified which mount has been used.

Ps: here , two of my most recent photos: [IMG]http://astrob.in/62063/B/rawthumb/gallery/regular/[/IMG]
[IMG]http://astrob.in/57002/C/rawthumb/gallery/regular/[/IMG]

Edited by Mike X. (11/04/13 11:32 PM)

imhotep

Re: Anyone imaging with the Atlas Pro? new [Re: Mike X.]
      #6178273 - 11/05/13 09:56 PM

Mike, thanks for the links, and great job with your astrophotography. None of my images are currently online or I would give you a link as well, mainly because I see you are using the Equinox 80ED. I think that's a very similar scope to the Orion ED80 which I've used quite a bit.

I'm very glad to see you are able to expose for 10-minute subs with no noticeable guiding or tacking issues. That's how it should be With my previous Atlas EQ-G I was able to expose for 10-minute subs and longer with PEC in the mix. Exposing beyond the worm period is where it's at in my book.

Did you do any tuning to your Skywatcher AZ EQ6 GT?

Mike X.
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Anyone imaging with the Atlas Pro? [Re: imhotep]
      #6178402 - 11/05/13 11:30 PM

Hello imhotep, thank you!
No tuning on the SW, it is just as it came out of the box.
If it can be of help i can tell you that i have exposed even for more with good results up to 30 minutes (autoguided of course) but those exposures are of no use to me without narrowband filters.Unfortunatelly the sky i have can handle well up to 10-12 minutes of exposure.

All in all i think this mount is doing well it's job and i would recommend it for AP, even over the Atlas.
It's silent, sturdy,tracks fine and smoothly and also is a little lighter than the Atlas (but nothing close to 26% less as they claim).Give or take i think it weight about half or 1 Kg less.

Again thank you!

Edited by Mike X. (11/05/13 11:32 PM)

imhotep

Re: Anyone imaging with the Atlas Pro? new [Re: Mike X.]
      #6191700 - 11/12/13 09:52 PM

Mike,

Thanks for the info. That is really interesting that the Pro is lighter than the Atlas. I would have thought it would be heavier since it boasts a much higher payload capacity.

Narrowband is where I'm headed. I need to be able to image in backyard instead of only imaging when I drive hours away from my light polluted area. Narrowband is going to be the ticket for me from now on.

Mike X.
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Anyone imaging with the Atlas Pro? new [Re: imhotep]
      #6192019 - 11/13/13 02:57 AM

Hello Imhotep, i hear that, narrowband is the only viable solution from the polluted skies of nowdays..but. it is a good solution.I have a couple of friends imaging actually from the center of the city in narrowband with spectacular results!

Pages: 1

Extra information
14 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 489

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics