Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Classic Telescopes

Pages: << 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | (show all)
terraclarke
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/29/12

Loc: Just South of the Mason-Dixon ...
Re: Old mount on eBay new [Re: ngc2289]
      #6224193 - 11/29/13 08:57 PM

You got a great deal Mike. It's worth atleast six times what you paid for it. And those boxes, if that is indeed the original box, are very hard to come by.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
kauzuak

Reged: 03/03/05

Loc: Burleson, TX
Re: Old mount on eBay new [Re: ngc2289]
      #6224198 - 11/29/13 08:58 PM

Congrats, looks like you got deal! I hope I didn't mess it up for someone else, but figured auctions that still have buy it now active are fair game to post.?

sgorton99
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/30/08

Loc: Wisconsin, Madison
Re: Old mount on eBay new [Re: kauzuak]
      #6224202 - 11/29/13 09:00 PM

Quote:

Congrats, looks like you got deal! I hope I didn't mess it up for someone else, but figured auctions that still have buy it now active are fair game to post.?

Yes, any open auctions are fair game to post.

xavier
sage

Reged: 10/31/07

Loc: Belgium
Re: Old mount on eBay new [Re: sgorton99]
      #6224496 - 11/30/13 01:22 AM Attachment (10 downloads)

Very strange. I bought the same mount last week in Holland. An eq 128 in the same box with gray foam.
Coincidence?
Great find

Chuck HardsModerator
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/03/10

Loc: The Great Basin
Still waiting. new [Re: ngc2289]
      #6225387 - 11/30/13 03:10 PM

5 days now, not a peep, no shipment notice, nothing. And I paid for 3-day shipping.

It was an eBay listing. Still keeping my fingers crossed but it's looking more fishy as time goes by.

Grumble.

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/19/11

Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA
Re: Still waiting. new [Re: Chuck Hards]
      #6225394 - 11/30/13 03:16 PM

Chuck,

What kind of feedback does the seller have? As far as I know, all listing on eBay need to have how long the seller is going to take to ship the item.

Mike

choran
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/28/12

#6225446 - 11/30/13 03:53 PM

I'd have an ebay case opened just in case they have time limits of some sort. They should have a phone number for the seller.

Chuck HardsModerator
Post Laureate

Re: Still waiting. new [Re: Mkofski]
      #6225467 - 11/30/13 04:07 PM

Quote:

Chuck,

What kind of feedback does the seller have? As far as I know, all listing on eBay need to have how long the seller is going to take to ship the item.

Mike

100% positive, some recent, over 100 transactions. USA address.

choran
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/28/12

#6225486 - 11/30/13 04:17 PM

Well, the feedback is a good sign. If I may suggest, go to the feedback area and see exactly what he/she has been buying and selling. If it is largely telescopes and the like, I believe you may be OK. I'd still contact ebay and try to get them to call the number. I don't believe one can open a seller's account without giving ebay a phone number.

Geo31
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/28/13

Loc: Kingwood, TX
      #6225513 - 11/30/13 04:40 PM

Quote:

5 days now, not a peep, no shipment notice, nothing. And I paid for 3-day shipping.

It was an eBay listing. Still keeping my fingers crossed but it's looking more fishy as time goes by.

Grumble.

I'm usually reasonably patient with this sort of thing, but personally, I'd send them an e-mail detailing e-mails sent, the premium paid for shipping and let them know they have two days to respond or I'd file a claim with Paypal/eBay or whomever. Extraordinary circumstances do occur, but come one, they could find a way to respond within a week.

I once had someone string me along with no communications. I had to threaten a lawsuit (my best friend is an atty and was practicing in LA at the time which is where the seller lived). I wish I had just filed a claim because there were other problems as well that I just ultimately ignored given all the time that had gone by. Had the other problems come to light in a timely fashion, I'd have called foul on those as well.

Bottom line is, IMHO, you've been patient and done the right things. If they don't respond timely to one last communication, I'd file a claim.

IMHO if you are going to list on eBay, you'd better be prepared to ship ASAP or don't list. If you have a major personal issue come up, communication within around 3 days is required. Otherwise, don't bother listing on eBay. Mutual trust is required.

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/19/11

Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA
Re: Still waiting. new [Re: Geo31]
      #6225560 - 11/30/13 05:07 PM

Chuck.

Just make send your emails to the seller via eBay and keep them positive... Don't threaten anything. If you have to open a case for the transaction, the eBay staff has access to all the communications.

5 days is a long time if you are waiting for an item to ship but, with the holiday figured in, it could just be the seller hasn't gotten around to monitoring their eBay account. Worst case, you will be able to open a dispute through PayPal and get your money back. You have, I believe, 30 days to open a PayPal dispute. The money is removed from the seller's account right away. Then, after the case has been resolved in your favor,you get the money back.

The eBay/PayPal system if weighted in favor of taking care of the buyer. It's really hard to be scammed the way things are set up now.

Mike

Chuck HardsModerator
Post Laureate

#6225602 - 11/30/13 05:32 PM

Thanks, I've been an eBay member since May '99, I know the ropes. PayPal refunded my money on a bad deal once, before eBay bought them.
What I hope has happened is that the seller posted the auction then left town for Thanksgiving, not figuring someone would use "Buy It Now", and they'd come back at auction's end to take care of things. The problem with that is that they aren't available for questions, plus they should have noted that they'd be away from the auction for X amount of time.
I've also encountered sellers who ship right away but just don't communicate AT ALL, not even answer questions. That's a bit rude, from a prospective buyer's perspective, and a poor business practice.
So, assuming they shipped within 48 hours as they state, it could still show up Monday and be within the 3-business-day shipping window for the expedited shipping, but the total lack of communication is still bothersome. My messages to them did go through eBay and I was very upbeat.

So far.

Nave
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/23/10

$100 = 90mm of Meade new [Re: Chuck Hards]
      #6225610 - 11/30/13 05:38 PM

Not the seller.
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/for/4221265732.html

Geo31
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/28/13

Loc: Kingwood, TX
      #6225629 - 11/30/13 05:48 PM

Quote:

Chuck.

Just make send your emails to the seller via eBay and keep them positive... Don't threaten anything.

I totally agree.

Just to elaborate... The situation I described above took over 2 months to resolve itself. VERY bad. And I waited too long to get eBay/Paypal involved.

Chuck HardsModerator
Post Laureate

Re: Still waiting. new [Re: Geo31]
      #6225699 - 11/30/13 06:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Chuck.

Just make send your emails to the seller via eBay and keep them positive... Don't threaten anything.

I totally agree.

Just to elaborate... The situation I described above took over 2 months to resolve itself. VERY bad. And I waited too long to get eBay/Paypal involved.

I'll give it until the end of next week to show up, in the absence of a reasonable explanation from the seller (death in the family, etc.). If no scope or no communication by Friday, I'll open a case.
It probably doesn't happen often, but there is also the chance that the seller died!

PiSigma
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/14/09

Loc: North Carolina
Cave Case Grain? new [Re: Chuck Hards]
      #6225743 - 11/30/13 07:15 PM

Maybe I should have put this in the Favorite Used Telescope Ad thread:

Cave Case Grain

Zedwardson

Reged: 11/26/13

#6225746 - 11/30/13 07:16 PM

A Monolux with steep shipping cost

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Telescope-/161158389275?pt=US_Telescopes&hash=ite...

A nice one,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-German-Carl-Zeiss-Jena-Telementor-II-Astronomica...

Here a fun one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/gilbert-astonomical-telescope-13211-with-case-vintage...

starman876
Postmaster

Reged: 04/28/08

Loc: VA
Re: Cave Case Grain? new [Re: PiSigma]
      #6225751 - 11/30/13 07:19 PM

Could this be Turks 14" Cave cassegrain. Even though it looks like a basket case, this was one of the scopes mentioned in the Holy Grail of telescopes. Am I wrong thinking it is a 14"? A 16" tube would be much to large for a 12" mirror.

Zedwardson

Reged: 11/26/13

Re: Cave Case Grain? new [Re: starman876]
      #6225762 - 11/30/13 07:25 PM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Unitron-Refractor-/281213571275?pt=US_Telescopes&...

for the unitron collectors

PiSigma
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/14/09

Loc: North Carolina
Re: Cave Case Grain? new [Re: starman876]
      #6225775 - 11/30/13 07:30 PM

There is a great restoration project in there - Byers drive, Super Unihex. Not for me but could be fun for turk.

I agree, probably is a 14".

The OTA end rings look earlier than 1974 too.

Pages: << 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | (show all)

Extra information
4 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), Brian Risley, Chuck Hards 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 15876

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics