Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Classic Telescopes

Pages: << 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | (show all)
tim53
Postmaster

Reged: 12/17/04

Loc: Highland Park, CA
Re: Very interesting 50mm on eBay (DONE) new [Re: bremms]
      #6227963 - 12/01/13 09:06 PM

Quote:

That Starliner is really nice. Tweaked optics, just need a good observatory. I'd say the price is right in line.

I agree. I had been afraid to log in, but shouldn't have been. It's not cheap, but with all that it has and how nicely set up it is...

-Tim.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Nave
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/23/10

Re: Carton 4" F13 Rafractor Telescope with Mount new [Re: wfj]
      #6228117 - 12/01/13 10:46 PM

Quote:

Hey Evan, you gotta check this one out!
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/pho/4223155190.html

I'm head over heels in love with that. My 60mm Carton is one of the last I'd surrender. I can't imagine how fine that 4" is.

No can do, however. No can do.

You get it!

Nave
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/23/10

Coast 8" f/6 new [Re: Nave]
      #6228125 - 12/01/13 10:50 PM

More sick local goodies.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/pho/4223736651.html

Not the seller; not a buyer.

Mr Magoo
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/05/05

Loc: Indiana
Re: Coast 8" f/6 new [Re: Nave]
      #6228195 - 12/01/13 11:31 PM

I love that scope, especially the mount. I have seen it before for sale.

sgorton99
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/30/08

Loc: Wisconsin, Madison
Goodwill C8 w/3 Meade RGs new [Re: Mr Magoo]
      #6228503 - 12/02/13 07:25 AM

Includes 3 Meade Research Grade eyepieces. Would be a much better deal if you can pick up in San Diego, as shipping is $100. http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions/Celestron-Astronomy-Telescope-2000mm-F10...

Chuck HardsModerator
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/03/10

Loc: The Great Basin
Re: Still waiting. new [Re: Chuck Hards]
      #6228556 - 12/02/13 08:21 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Chuck.

Just make send your emails to the seller via eBay and keep them positive... Don't threaten anything.

I totally agree.

Just to elaborate... The situation I described above took over 2 months to resolve itself. VERY bad. And I waited too long to get eBay/Paypal involved.

I'll give it until the end of next week to show up, in the absence of a reasonable explanation from the seller (death in the family, etc.). If no scope or no communication by Friday, I'll open a case.
It probably doesn't happen often, but there is also the chance that the seller died!

I got his name and phone number from PayPal, he has a verified account. I plan on calling him this afternoon if I don't hear from him first. It's been one week since I paid for it, not a peep so far.

turk123
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/09/10

Loc: N.E. Ohio
      #6228687 - 12/02/13 09:50 AM

I got his name and phone number from PayPal, he has a verified account. I plan on calling him this afternoon if I don't hear from him first. It's been one week since I paid for it, not a peep so far.

Got em!

Dave M
Postmaster

Reged: 08/03/04

Loc: Ohio
Re: Still waiting. new [Re: turk123]
      #6228715 - 12/02/13 10:07 AM

Good job Chuck, i have my fingers crossed it all works out for you in the end.

bremms
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/31/12

Loc: SC
Re: Still waiting. new [Re: Dave M]
      #6228726 - 12/02/13 10:14 AM

Chase that pirate down Chuck.

Chuck HardsModerator
Post Laureate

Re: Still waiting. new [Re: bremms]
      #6228742 - 12/02/13 10:20 AM

It could still be an honest oversight or non-malicious ineptness on the seller's part, although as time goes by that's looking less likely. I'm sure I'll get my money back if I open a case- both he and I have verified PayPal status- but I did want that little old telescope. We'll see what happens.

terraclarke
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/29/12

Loc: Just South of the Mason-Dixon ...
      #6228780 - 12/02/13 10:34 AM

I hope it all goes well for you Chuck. Hopefully, it was just some sort of oversight and you will get it. Otherwise, you should be able to get your money back.

Chuck HardsModerator
Post Laureate

Re: Very interesting 50mm on eBay (DONE) new [Re: terraclarke]
      #6228874 - 12/02/13 11:15 AM

Quote:

It is a cute little thing, but a toy none the less. For a long time this past year I flirted with the idea of adding a 40, 42, or 50mm Unitron like the #740 or the #127 or a Zeiss 50 x 540 Teleminor to my collection. But I realized that I would be getting it just to have it and would probably use it once. I love 60mm-class scopes and have five of them. They actually show quite a bit and are wonderful one-step setup grab and go scopes. So there really doesn't seem to be a point in going smaller, at least to me. I would just be getting a 40 or 50 mm scope to have it and it would just wind up in a box on a shelf in the basement telescope vault.

I would have to respectfully disagree with you on the 60mm lower limit, Terra. One of my favorite telescopes is a 50mm f/20 refractor that I built. It's amazing, almost no color even on the moon, and you'd marvel at the number and variety of objects visible in it- and how nice they look. I like my 60mm refractors also, but the little 50mm makes me work just a little harder, and the victory tastes all the sweeter.
I also have a 40mm f/20 lens that I'll be assembling into a telescope soon. It will have a 1.25" focuser just like it's 50mm brother. I may mount it tandem with the 50mm. You can take some comfort in that I use a restored Unitron finder with it.

My solar setup uses a home-made 50mm f/9 refractor for white-light (Baader), set-up side-by-sde with the little 40mm PST for H-a. A compact rig, yet gives terrific views.

AllanDystrup
sage

Reged: 09/27/12

Loc: Denmark
Re: Very interesting 50mm on eBay (DONE) new [Re: Chuck Hards]
      #6229385 - 12/02/13 03:08 PM

And I would certainly have to agree with you, Chuck

I'm currently enjoying Touring the Universe , with my 8x30 and 10x56 binos in a lounger, plus my 50mm F11 refractor.

Superb wide field bino views of open clusters and nebulae, combined with sharp higher magnification images in the Zeiss 50mm, with noticeable less CA and more contrast than in my Unitron 60mm telescopes ! (though the E-lens is somewhat prone to stray light on very bright stars, lacking a modern coating -- can't get it all, I guess).

I'll probably piggy back the 50mm Teleminor on my Telemator, when I'm finished playing with it as a stand alone telescope; It'll make a nice wide field secondary scope.

Allan

starman876
Postmaster

Reged: 04/28/08

Loc: VA
6" Quantum new [Re: AllanDystrup]
      #6229527 - 12/02/13 04:02 PM

listed on cloudy night classifieds today. $2500. I was tempted, but getting a larger Quantum shortly.
scope still for sale.

http://www.cloudynights.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=93056&sor...

Edited by starman876 (12/02/13 04:30 PM)

Chuck HardsModerator
Post Laureate

#6229546 - 12/02/13 04:10 PM

Quote:

It could still be an honest oversight or non-malicious ineptness on the seller's part, although as time goes by that's looking less likely. I'm sure I'll get my money back if I open a case- both he and I have verified PayPal status- but I did want that little old telescope. We'll see what happens.

Well folks, it was fraud. The seller emailed me and claims he hasn't listed on eBay in quite some time. His ID has been highjacked. I've opened a case with eBay and asked for a full refund.

BTW, the scope was the little green Polish Maksutov. If you see it show-up again, beware.

fjs
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/25/13

Loc: Olympic Peninsula, USA
      #6229573 - 12/02/13 04:21 PM

Oh, that is sure too bad. I would have been interested in that, if is was bigger. I might have been there as well. Looked like a nice little scope. I was tempted. I do hope the scammers weren't able to track through your Paypal account to get anything from you. I suppose they might have been hoping for someone to pay with a credit card.

Thanks for keeping us updated. Sorry that you had this bad experience. It's a shame when we look forward to something we don't get. Even if we're not out of anything in the end.

starman876
Postmaster

#6229575 - 12/02/13 04:22 PM

Sorry to hear that Chuck. Good luck getting your money back. How did you pay for it Through Pay Pal or did you send a check?

Chuck HardsModerator
Post Laureate

Re: Still waiting. new [Re: starman876]
      #6229577 - 12/02/13 04:23 PM

PayPal. Always.

starman876
Postmaster

#6229596 - 12/02/13 04:29 PM

Did you pay through ebay using pay pal? The guy must have hijacked the account and then inserted his pay pal address in place of the original ebay listers pay pal address. However, if the pay pal address matches the guy that you emailed then the money went into his pay pal account. Am I making sense here to you Chuck?

Chuck HardsModerator
Post Laureate

Re: Still waiting. new [Re: starman876]
      #6229604 - 12/02/13 04:33 PM

Yes. I understand. One way or the other, it's a scam and I'll let ebay handle it. They have an office here in SLC and I may just drive over there rather than wait 3 days before they escalate or look into the case. I'm sure I'll get a refund but I hate waiting when the fraud is obvious.

Pages: << 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | (show all)

Extra information
25 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), Brian Risley, Chuck Hards 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 15870

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics