Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Classic Telescopes

Pages: << 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | (show all)
terraclarke
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/29/12

Loc: Just South of the Mason-Dixon ...
Re: Still waiting. new [Re: Chuck Hards]
      #6231435 - 12/03/13 01:21 PM

So sorry to hear that Chuck. I have totally swarm off eBay. Two different times in 2012 that I made purchases my credit card was hijacked shortly thereafter; two different credit cards! Once bitten, twice shy, twice bitten and ya want to kill 'em! Now I only buy from CN, AM, or CL and only when I know or can check out the seller. EBay is ScamBay in my book!

Terra

Edited by terraclarke (12/03/13 02:04 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Chuck HardsModerator
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/03/10

Loc: The Great Basin
Re: Still waiting. new [Re: terraclarke]
      #6231482 - 12/03/13 01:46 PM

I tie my PayPal account to a bank account separate from the household finances. In fact, it's a separate bank! I only put enough money in there to cover PayPal purchases. That way, if it's ever hacked, that's all they can get. I would never give my credit card number to an eBay seller.

I've done over 1100 transactions on eBay, about half-and-half selling and buying, since 1999 when I joined. This is only the second transaction in all those years that went bad. The first was a purchase from a seller in Thailand and PayPal refunded my money.

So, I'll stick with them but just be a lot more cautious from now on.

terraclarke
Post Laureate

#6231528 - 12/03/13 02:04 PM

What scope was it that you got scammed on Chuck? Is the add still up?

Chuck HardsModerator
Post Laureate

#6231531 - 12/03/13 02:06 PM

No, it ended, it was the Polish-made Maksutov with, I believe, Zeiss optics. eBay is investigating now.

mgwhittle
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/24/11

Loc: Chattanooga, TN
Goto Kogaku spectroscope new [Re: Chuck Hards]
      #6231540 - 12/03/13 02:10 PM

Interesting

Goto Spectroscope on eBay

Chuck HardsModerator
Post Laureate

#6231655 - 12/03/13 03:18 PM

Quote:

No, it ended, it was the Polish-made Maksutov with, I believe, Zeiss optics. eBay is investigating now.

It's getting interesting. Apparently the pirate was hoping whomever paid would use their charge card directly with them, or send a MO, because the real owner of the PayPal account says the money is still in there and he's trying to refuse the payment. Might be locked and not possible while eBay/Paypal is conducting the investigation, but it's good to know that the money hasn't made it to the pirate. I'm confident now that I'll get it all back.

starman876
Postmaster

Reged: 04/28/08

Loc: VA
      #6231692 - 12/03/13 03:39 PM

Chuck
That is what I meant when I asked who did you send the pay pal payment to? It sounded like you sent it to the guy who owned the Ebay account. I gathered that from when you said you emailed the guy and got his pay pal information.

wfj
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/10/08

Loc: California, Santa Cruz County
Re: Still waiting. new [Re: starman876]
      #6231711 - 12/03/13 03:58 PM

N.B. Paypal and credit cards use different means to deal with fraud/deception.

Never, ever use credit/debit w/o Paypal in front of the transaction for something like eBay. What is known as the "loss model" of the credit card allows low level scammers to eek out enough of a living.

Paypal is kind of an opposite - doesn't work as well for "traditional" e-commerce/vendors because of insufficient volume of transactions with a given vendor.

Chuck HardsModerator
Post Laureate

#6231731 - 12/03/13 04:12 PM

Quote:

Chuck
That is what I meant when I asked who did you send the pay pal payment to? It sounded like you sent it to the guy who owned the Ebay account. I gathered that from when you said you emailed the guy and got his pay pal information.

Yep, you were right, except I got his email address from PayPal and he replied, but never replied through eBay messages. The person who owns the PayPal account seems a bit confused and says his ebay ID is different from the one on the auction site. He also hasn't been in his PayPal account for a while and had a hard time remembering his password, but once there verified that the funds were there. So it looks like the pirate got ahold of his feedback ratings, changed his ID, but couldn't get into his PayPal account and was hoping for direct payment from a buyer. This guy said he hasn't been on eBay for a year and a half, yet the eBay account shows activity since then, so the pirate has been using it for a while.

I would NEVER give a CC number to anyone on eBay.

I've had my CC hacked twice, both times we think it was from a waiter/waitress in a restaurant, but the CC company took it as a fraud loss and gave me my money back, along with a new CC number. Since then we've been paying cash at restaurants. Kind of pain at times.

starman876
Postmaster

#6231758 - 12/03/13 04:36 PM

Yep. classic. Look for accounts that have not been used in a long time and hack it and start selling stuff you dont have and wait for Money orders or credit card payments. Cash works also.

wfj
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/10/08

Loc: California, Santa Cruz County
      #6231783 - 12/03/13 04:51 PM

Think of it this way - multiple handshakes/exchanges each with authentication requires considerable work to undermine - you need to get all the parts to compromise.

Send it and forget it models like money orders and credit cards you just need a single item to compromise.

However, many genuine transactions through something like paypal get screwed up because of all of the additional "stuff" - so they don't want to mess with it. Ironically, they even sometimes smell scam in the midst of dealing with the least scammable situation, generally out of well meant nerves of such. Even though that's what defers scams...

Maddening.

terraclarke
Post Laureate

#6231795 - 12/03/13 04:56 PM

Quote:

I remember seeing that one for sale on eBay some time ago.

Chuck HardsModerator
Post Laureate

#6231958 - 12/03/13 06:52 PM

OK, it got even weirder.

First off, I got my money back in full, thanks to the person who's account it went to. There are still honest people in this world, thankfully, though PayPal would have eaten it if he hadn't been honest.

Here's how I understand it.

The seller has the same last name as the person who got the money, different first name but same initial. Their email addresses are the same before the "@", but different domains. Ebay has no idea how the wrong domain was listed for the seller's PayPal account because they have the correct one for email. As of now, they are not sure exactly what's going on.

I sent the seller another message through ebay (since they didn't give me his domain to complete his email) explaining what happened and that eBay has disabled any way for me to pay him until he straightens out his account information. That makes me look good in the eyes of eBay. I tried.

So, as of now, it's a total mystery. Is the seller a fraud, or just a very confused person who doesn't check email or eBay messages? I strongly suspect the former though I have no proof. I dug deeper into their feedback and found a comment that a buyer thought the seller had no idea how to navigate PayPal.

I do know that I'm done with that auction, and that seller. The only way I'd pay for that now is if they sent it COD and the delivery driver let me open it prior to paying.

If you see the scope show up again with a location of Ft. Collins, Co., beware.

starman876
Postmaster

#6232019 - 12/03/13 07:26 PM

Well, I am glad this is over

terraclarke
Post Laureate

#6232052 - 12/03/13 07:43 PM

Wow, what a tangled mess. Just glad you got your money back. Now you know not to buy a Polish made, Russian design! Even if the Cold War is over. (It is over, isn't it?)

Edited by terraclarke (12/03/13 07:46 PM)

Chuck HardsModerator
Post Laureate

#6232073 - 12/03/13 07:59 PM

Quote:

Wow, what a tangled mess. Just glad you got your money back. Now you know not to buy a Polish made, Russian design! Even if the Cold War is over. (It is over, isn't it?)

If I had the scratch, I'd buy a Questar or Quantum in a heartbeat!

Yep, all's well that ends well. Maybe one of these days one of those will cross my path again.

starman876
Postmaster

#6232078 - 12/03/13 08:00 PM

You say you want a Questar

Chuck HardsModerator
Post Laureate

#6232085 - 12/03/13 08:03 PM

Quote:

You say you want a Questar

Talk to me after I get my tax refund. The money all went to Ed Byers this year.

starman876
Postmaster

#6232091 - 12/03/13 08:06 PM

You could just get a C5. A lot of people here say the C5 outperforms a Questar.

I am evil

Chuck HardsModerator
Post Laureate

#6232105 - 12/03/13 08:14 PM

Got a C5 and a C6.

You ARE evil.

Pages: << 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | (show all)

Extra information
19 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), Brian Risley, Chuck Hards 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 15875

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics