Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Classic Telescopes

Pages: << 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | (show all)
wfj
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/10/08

Loc: California, Santa Cruz County
Re: Still waiting. new [Re: Chuck Hards]
      #6232153 - 12/03/13 08:41 PM

Quote:

OK, it got even weirder.

First off, I got my money back in full, thanks to the person who's account it went to. There are still honest people in this world, thankfully, though PayPal would have eaten it if he hadn't been honest.

Here's how I understand it.

The seller has the same last name as the person who got the money, different first name but same initial. Their email addresses are the same before the "@", but different domains. Ebay has no idea how the wrong domain was listed for the seller's PayPal account because they have the correct one for email. As of now, they are not sure exactly what's going on.

I sent the seller another message through ebay (since they didn't give me his domain to complete his email) explaining what happened and that eBay has disabled any way for me to pay him until he straightens out his account information. That makes me look good in the eyes of eBay. I tried.

So, as of now, it's a total mystery. Is the seller a fraud, or just a very confused person who doesn't check email or eBay messages? I strongly suspect the former though I have no proof. I dug deeper into their feedback and found a comment that a buyer thought the seller had no idea how to navigate PayPal.

I do know that I'm done with that auction, and that seller. The only way I'd pay for that now is if they sent it COD and the delivery driver let me open it prior to paying.

If you see the scope show up again with a location of Ft. Collins, Co., beware.

Chuck, I'm sorry you've been through this.

What you have here is something for an investigation - it is for paypal, ebay, and the authorities. Happens all the time. They have the tools to sort things out.

My hunch would be someone in a family, possibly taking advantage of lessening faculties of another. But just a guess.

As for watching out, you look for groups of the same thing, as we have all seen in the past, they recur over and over again. Because they are so ... attractive.

One good thing ... you've warded off a few hundred people from such as you experienced. Thank you for sharing and not being silent.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
AstroPhys
sage

Reged: 07/01/08

Loc: 12th of Never
Re: Still waiting. new [Re: wfj]
      #6232506 - 12/04/13 12:23 AM

I have to echo Chuck's good experiences with Ebay and Paypal. I've been a buyer and seller since '98 and have only had two bad experiences out of many hundreds of good ones.
One time I had my Ebay account stolen, apparently when I logged in to a fake Ebay site. The scammer was trying to sell a $10,000 boat on my account. Luckily I spotted the problem pretty soon before much damage was done.
The other was very recently. A complete fraud attempted sale by a seller in Vegas who got my money and about a dozen others also for a bit of a too good deal on a new camera. This guy had a lot of really good feedback but never on anything over a hundred bucks. All of a sudden he decides to make a lot of quick cash on $600 scams. I will probably never know if anyone caught up with him, but I got my money back in two days from Ebay.
I have taken some chances and gotten incredible deals on low feedback sellers that others are afraid to buy from. But you do have to exercise a decent amount of care.
Most sellers and buyers are good people and will go out of their way to help you.

Clear skies all.

PowellAstro
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/14/09

Loc: Tennessee
      #6232520 - 12/04/13 12:36 AM

Quote:

Got a C5 and a C6.

You ARE evil.

How does the C5 do compared to your C6?

apfever
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/13/08

Loc: Colorado
      #6232531 - 12/04/13 12:43 AM

Quote:

OK, it got even weirder.

The only way I'd pay for that now is if they sent it COD and the delivery driver let me open it prior to paying.

If you see the scope show up again with a location of Ft. Collins, Co., beware.

WHAT!! Ft. Collins, CO? Hey, that's my neck o' the woods. I can do some up front and personal here. Seriously, in a civil manner, with respect to any honest confusion.

Chuck, PM me any info if you wish and I can do some local work. Possibly even see the scope in person. I'm not interested in a Questar, and I've done local pickup and ship for other notable posters in this forum. At any rate, I could get to some nitty gritty and post here or private back in a PM. If the seller is legitimate, he should welcome such a personal option to deal with the scope.
You may just wish for this to pass, only offering an option here. Your call

Neil

actionhac
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/09/08

Loc: Seattle
Re: Still waiting. new [Re: apfever]
      #6232593 - 12/04/13 01:52 AM

Hey Chuck here:
https://www.astronomics.com/questar-7-inch-classic-titanium-mak-optical-tube-...
We get a Cloudy Nights discount with astronomics.
I was just thinking this evening how nice a zero-expansion mirror would be.
We should call and see if creative financing is available.

Robert

Rich (RLTYS)Moderator
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/04

Loc: New York (Long Island)
Re: Still waiting. new [Re: actionhac]
      #6232777 - 12/04/13 06:27 AM

OK folks it's time to lock this thread and start a new one.

Rich (RLTYS)

Andy Taylor
Twisted, but in a Good Way

Reged: 09/24/08

Loc: Epsom - UK
Not exactly grab 'n go... new [Re: actionhac]
      #6232799 - 12/04/13 07:10 AM

Gonna need a bigger car - collect only.

Here

Pages: << 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | (show all)

Extra information
27 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), Brian Risley, Chuck Hards 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 15872

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics