Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
calypsob
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/20/13

relubing Dec worm gears on a CG5
      #6179481 - 11/06/13 03:19 PM

I don't really want to take apart my entire mount because I am turned off by the idea of adjusting my worm gear meshings. When I auto guide the RA axis stays well below the +1 and -1 limitations on my PHD graphs however the DEC always seems to wonder beyond +1 and -1, resulting in non rounded stars. I spend a good bit of time balancing and polar aligning and I have been thinking about putting a new layer of oil or grease on the DEC worm gear and the Geared axle that rotates on the DEC axis. Im not sure if anyone has tried this combination but I would like to put a mixture of Corrosion X Gun oil and WS2 powder on the gears to give them a long lasting super low friction coating. Im not sure if this will help with DEC guiding at all, but it has been a butter smooth combination on the bolt action of some of my hunting rifles. I have checked with corrosion x and WS2 and they say that their products are completely safe on aluminum and brass and are guaranteed not to damage or corrode or make brittle the components. Does anyone have some input on this procedure?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
12 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 135

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics