Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Lane
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/19/07

Loc: Frisco, Texas
T-Rex homemade motor solution new
      #6178532 - 11/06/13 01:16 AM

I got a message from someone wanting some help putting motors on a T-Rex so I thought I would re-post some pictures here that I posted in the past. These show the custom brackets I made to attach JMI motors to my T-Rex mount. It is really a very simple solution that anyone can do. I have used this solution for several months now and it is still working perfect, I never even remove the motors anymore, I just keep them attached to the mount and it all fits perfectly in the carrying case.

The motors I bought came with up/down left/right type hand controllers, but they are the same motors supplied with the JMI Train-n-Track system, which came out after I bought my system. What I bought was made to fit the AstroTech Voyager mount. I ditched the brackets and made my own. My brackets attach to the motor with only one bolt and to the mount with only one bolt. The only problem I ran into was getting the right coupler to attach the motor to the T-Rex shaft. The shaft on the AstroTech is different, so I bought two couplers from JMI for $12.00. The T-Rex comes with a coupler adapter for each of the flexible handles. I used those adapters in my solution which meant that the motor and the T-Rex shaft sizes were then identical. So the couplers I got from JMI are just simple straight through couplers and readily available from JMI.

Edited by Lane (11/06/13 01:20 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Lane
Post Laureate

Re: T-Rex homemade motor solution new [Re: Lane]
      #6178535 - 11/06/13 01:19 AM Attachment (37 downloads)

Pic 1

Lane
Post Laureate

#6178536 - 11/06/13 01:21 AM Attachment (23 downloads)

Pic 2 - I replaced the bolt on the mount with one that is about 1/8" longer. That allowed me to put 2 washers on the bolt and attach my mount between them. This was to keep from scratching the T-Rex when attaching and removing my bracket.

Edited by Lane (11/06/13 01:30 AM)

Lane
Post Laureate

#6178538 - 11/06/13 01:21 AM Attachment (12 downloads)

Pic 3 - the couplers are those little silver cylinders with the two set screws in them. Not cheap ($12 for the pair as I recall from JMI). The shaft on that motor is the same size as the shaft on the adapter that comes with the T-Rex.

Edited by Lane (11/06/13 01:34 AM)

Lane
Post Laureate

#6178540 - 11/06/13 01:22 AM Attachment (17 downloads)

Pic 4

Edited by Lane (11/06/13 01:22 AM)

Lane
Post Laureate

#6178541 - 11/06/13 01:23 AM Attachment (15 downloads)

Pic 5

Lane
Post Laureate

#6178542 - 11/06/13 01:24 AM Attachment (12 downloads)

Pic 6

Lane
Post Laureate

#6178544 - 11/06/13 01:26 AM Attachment (14 downloads)

Pic 7 - I don't think they degrade the mount's appearance at all and they do not get in the way of the mechanical operation of the mount in anyway.

Edited by Lane (11/06/13 01:36 AM)

Lane
Post Laureate

#6178553 - 11/06/13 01:39 AM

The Train-n-Track is probably a lot nicer than the simple controller I own. If anyone does attach one of those to this mount I would be interested in hearing about its performance. The thing I never liked about the controllers I own is that they always start slowly and then speed up after you hold down the button for about a second. That delay does not sound like much but it can be very annoying after a while.

beatlejuice
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/05/11

Loc: Hamilton, ON,Canada
Re: T-Rex homemade motor solution [Re: Lane]
      #6179518 - 11/06/13 03:43 PM

Quote:

The thing I never liked about the controllers I own is that they always start slowly and then speed up after you hold down the button for about a second.

This is the same with the TNT controller when using what they call the high speed buttons. But the TNT also has 2 levers for adjusting tracking speed or centering an object. These levers provide very smooth motion within the FOV that you are currently viewing.
I imagine this would be the same for whatever mount it was used for.

Eric

Joe H

Reged: 07/19/06

Re: T-Rex homemade motor solution new [Re: beatlejuice]
      #6183403 - 11/08/13 06:07 PM

Just a note it is possible to purchase the 1/4" X 3/8" shaft couplers on ebay. Just put in 1/4 3/8 shaft coupler and you will get some choices. These are not super cheap either. The mounting bracket with Train n Track seem like they will work by slipping under the screws that hold on the slo motion cover. I'll get a chance to test this soon.
Joe

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: T-Rex homemade motor solution new [Re: Joe H]
      #6183533 - 11/08/13 07:30 PM

Quote:

Just a note it is possible to purchase the 1/4" X 3/8" shaft couplers on ebay. Just put in 1/4 3/8 shaft coupler and you will get some choices. These are not super cheap either. The mounting bracket with Train n Track seem like they will work by slipping under the screws that hold on the slo motion cover. I'll get a chance to test this soon.
Joe

Keep in mind that the worm shafts are 10mm, so you will need to bore out the coupling by about 0.525mm in order for a 3/8" coupling to fit. Metric couplings are much harder to find.

Pages: 1

Extra information
23 registered and 38 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 402

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics