Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Cats & Casses

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Erik Bakker
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/10/06

Loc: The Netherlands, Europe
Re: Help me find the best Mak tabletop scope new [Re: Eddgie]
      #6178807 - 11/06/13 09:01 AM

Just get a C5 that fits your budget. Such a great little scope. Those Meade 2045's are cute to look at, but a C5 is worlds better to look through. Used my C5 last night on a little stool for tabletop, wonderful views and great convenience.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
A6Q6
sage

Reged: 05/31/11

Loc: Stroudsburg,Pa,U.S.A
      #6179360 - 11/06/13 02:15 PM

Well Eddgie if you must have that little Meade, this is a must read from Orion61 in the Classic telescopes section:
"The ones in the Aluminum cases were nearly always great optically. I have had several through the years.
It was Meades PRE ETX.
Buy it you won't be sorry! have I steered you wrong yet?
You can tell the difference in the ones with the lens in front of the secondary.
They say Mirror Lens on the front cell
The true Little Schmidts SAY Schmidt Cassegrain.
As Glenn stated the non-Schmidts were horrible, low contrast, chromatic aberration, ghosting.
the good ones are about 905 as sharp as a 90mm ETX but brighter. The Little fork mounts are really very nice.
not Questar or Quantom nice but exceedingly more user friendly than the ETX.. Also yes picky little buggers on collimation.
One HUGE point.
If you get it, make sure and have the shipper REMOVE THE FINDER AND BRACKET! and then wrap the finder in bubble wrap!If he doesnt 100% sure it will get broken in shipping, same for the B&L 4000!!!! Again personal experience!"

Ski-Patroller

Reged: 04/16/10

#6179632 - 11/06/13 04:59 PM

I would stay away from Table top mounts. A regular tripod is much more versatile and more solid.

I have an Orion Starmax 102 on a EQ-2 Mount. It seems to be quite sharp, and with the RA drive the mount is reasonably solid.

I also have NexStar 5i which is actually easier to set up and probably weighs a little less than the Starmax (mostly because of the counter weight). It is definitely a more solid mount. FWIW the 5i has essentially the same mount as the Nexstar 6SE. It is a a little heavier than the current 5SE

Eddgie
Postmaster

Reged: 02/01/06

Re: Help me find the best Mak tabletop scope new [Re: A6Q6]
      #6179643 - 11/06/13 05:06 PM

Thanks for posting.

I do want one just because they are so darned cute.

But I have been throwing money at astro-equipment like crazy lately, with a new SV110ED, new eyepeices, a second binoviewer, a 12" Go-To Dob, Moonlight focuser, Newtonian GPC for binoviewer more eyepieces, new solar filter, More eyepieces, extensions for the 110ED, Tuning rings, ES 20/100, Baader MPCC, more tuning rings, Bluetooth Telescope controller, Sky Safari, Android tablet to run said Sky Safari, and 12" telecope wirelessly, and well, I am sure I am forgetting stuff.

So for now, as much as I would like one, I really have to get my fingers out of my wallet.

Eddgie
Postmaster

Reged: 02/01/06

Re: Help me find the best Mak tabletop scope new [Re: A6Q6]
      #6179648 - 11/06/13 05:07 PM

Thank you though for helping my find more ways to spend my money.. LOL.

Seriously, thanks for the info. I really do mean that because one day, I want one of these miniature telescopes just for the novelty of it. They really are quite fun.

Pauls72
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/28/07

Loc: LaPorte, IN
Re: Help me find the best Mak tabletop scope [Re: Ski-Patroller]
      #6179654 - 11/06/13 05:09 PM

I also have an Orion Starmax 102 on a small GEM Mount and like it.
I first tried it on a regular photography camera tripod and it was brutal. I suspect a table top mount won't be much better.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
12 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Cotts, Starman27, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1312

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics