Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
jloweva

Reged: 01/09/12

AP Traveler and C11 Dual Mounting Options?? new
      #6177348 - 11/05/13 01:00 PM

Hi folks:

I have an AP Traveler, which I love, and just purchased a C11 XLT (and added the .63 focal reducer), which has its limitations compared to the Traveler, but obviously gives me access to way more deep sky objects than a 4" refractor ever could.

I am now thinking about pairing them on the same mount to get the best of both worlds, and am interested in opinions on mounting solutions.

Currently, I have the C11 on CG5-GT on a Scopebuggy and typically use the Traveler with a DM-4 on a Manfrotto 475. I know the CG5 isn't the fanciest mount in the world, but I have to say I love the ease of use of the Celestron system. It takes me 5-10 minutes tops to do a 2+2 alignment. That being said, though stable with the C11, it is clearly at its limit and I couldn't possibly add the Traveler to it.

I have zero interest in astrophotgraphy.

I'm thinking about going with a CGEM DX over a Losmandy G11. My plan would be to leave the entire setup on the Scopebuggy (maybe just taking the Traveler off and on as needed).

I'd appreciate this community's thoughts.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
WesC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/06/13

Loc: La Crescenta, CA
Re: AP Traveler and C11 Dual Mounting Options?? new [Re: jloweva]
      #6177386 - 11/05/13 01:22 PM

Well I run a CGEM with a C11 Edge and it runs great for visual. You could get an ADM dual saddle and run both... how much does the Traveler weigh?

jloweva

Re: AP Traveler and C11 Dual Mounting Options?? new [Re: WesC]
      #6177400 - 11/05/13 01:30 PM

About 13 pounds with diagonal and eyepiece.

WesC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/06/13

Loc: La Crescenta, CA
Re: AP Traveler and C11 Dual Mounting Options?? new [Re: jloweva]
      #6177522 - 11/05/13 02:23 PM

So, a C11 being around 30lbs and another 13lbs for the Traveler and you're at the limit for the CGEM, but the CGEM DX should handle it just fine.

t.r.
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/14/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: AP Traveler and C11 Dual Mounting Options?? new [Re: WesC]
      #6177554 - 11/05/13 02:34 PM

I appreciate what you are trying to accomplish, but thoroughly think it through. I had the same plan, to mount up my C11 and AP130GT together to compliment each other. Bought a Mach 1 with Eagle pier, ADM dual saddle plates and the additional cw's. Put it together on the mount and...NEVER ran it! It is just too much glass, mirror, mount, counterweight, etc. to put together everytime I would observe. It is not practical. Getting the balance right is trickier than you image it to be as well. Now, if I had or if you have an observatory where it is permanantly set up, go for it. But if you intend to setup and breakdown each time, I think you will find, as I did, the dual setup isn't practical in this size range. Maybe a C9.25 with a TV85 or even smaller still. My Good luck.

jloweva

Re: AP Traveler and C11 Dual Mounting Options?? [Re: t.r.]
      #6179743 - 11/06/13 06:01 PM

Thanks for the tip.

Pages: 1

Extra information
15 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 184

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics