Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
anirudha

Reged: 12/03/12

hypothetical question new
      #6179184 - 11/06/13 12:43 PM

Hypothetically speaking, how would AZ3/AZ4 fair against EQ2/EQ3? Of course the later can be polar aligned for ease of tracking. But discounting that, and considering dampening time, stability, balance etc for visual use only. For a small refractor under 90mm.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
T1R2
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/11/13

Loc: NeverWhere
Re: hypothetical question new [Re: anirudha]
      #6179354 - 11/06/13 02:12 PM

Ideally all things should be considered equal, the mount you use for visual should be just as steady as the mount you use for photography, or else its gonna shake every time you put your eye on the ep, and who wants to look through a jiggly scope, but you should be fine with with a 90mm on one of those at low to med powers, but high power it might be a little shaky, specially if it has a long f/L. some individual mounts of the same make and model can vary in stability, and should also be considered. if you can, try before you buy and use high power or the power you mostly use when trying to judge stability.

Eddgie
Postmaster

Reged: 02/01/06

#6179683 - 11/06/13 05:25 PM

I would never recommend an AZ3 for astronomy use.

These are great for terrestrial, but horrible for the sky.

If you set the tension screw for azimuth to make the scope smooth to move, when you tip the scope back to view near zenith, it will cascade on you. If you set the nut tight enough to keep it from cascading, it will be so stiff that it is hard to move when re-pointing.

Horrible for astronomy. OK for terrestrial use.

Otherwise, I realize the question is hypothetical, but none of these mounts are all that great.

For astronomy though, the AZ3 is simply inferior to the small GEMs.

And if you don't need tracking and the scope is light, I think the AZ4 might be OK.

The GEMs you mention usually don't come with dovetails and these days, that is the only way I would mount a telescope.

Maybe they have some with dovetail saddles now though, but for me, I would not own one if it did not allow for quick mounting/unmounting.

So, AZ4 if you made me pick from these and I did not care about tracking (though I just can't hardly use a telescope if it does not track)

Since your question seems to accept non-tracking is equal though, I would think the AZ4 would be the best of these.

anirudha

Reged: 12/03/12

Re: hypothetical question new [Re: Eddgie]
      #6180263 - 11/07/13 12:47 AM

how about this seben EQ3?

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/19/11

Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA
      #6180283 - 11/07/13 01:12 AM

I think you could get a better GEM used here on CN for not much more money. Wouldn't expect much out do a new mount that was $150. For your 80mm refractor it may work out. There is an LXD55 for sale now for $155. Now, the LXD55 isn't a great GEM but I'd bet it is better than the one you linked to.

Mike

T1R2
Pooh-Bah

#6180285 - 11/07/13 01:15 AM

I would save a little more money and just get the Celestron Omni CG4, its a well built and good looking mount but I think that if you have a 80mm F5(400mm) or F6(480mm) length refractor it would work on the eq3

have you tried the classifieds here on CN, you can find better used mounts than that eq3, just like the other poster mentioned

Edited by T1R2 (11/07/13 01:20 AM)

orlyandico
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/10/09

Loc: Singapore
Re: hypothetical question new [Re: T1R2]
      #6180287 - 11/07/13 01:21 AM

There's a Super Polaris on the classifieds (or was it on astromart) for $150.

T1R2
Pooh-Bah

Re: hypothetical question new [Re: T1R2]
      #6180290 - 11/07/13 01:29 AM

In other words PLEASE DO NOT GET THE EQ3, if you get that, when you want to get a little larger telescope you'll have to get a bigger mount anyway, so save yourself the money and frustration of using a shaky mount and get something decent, so just stay away from those and you'll be fine.

T1R2
Pooh-Bah

Re: hypothetical question [Re: orlyandico]
      #6180294 - 11/07/13 01:33 AM

Pages: 1

Extra information
15 registered and 38 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 319

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics