Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Jon_Doh
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/16/11

Loc: On a receiver's back
Re: Celestron VX mount: experiences and problems new [Re: rmollise]
      #6083444 - 09/16/13 09:00 AM

I've had hands and time on the AVX and I am badly disappointed, not to mention frustrated. So it's going back.

There just doesn't seem to be a decent goto mount at a reasonable price point.

Edited by Jon_Doh (09/16/13 12:56 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Dr.Don

Reged: 05/31/13

Loc: Northern California
      #6083622 - 09/16/13 10:38 AM

How do people get their 9.25 attached to the scope? It seems very awkward and difficult. It's easy for me to move the mount from the house with the cw bar, but not weights attached. But getting the OTA onto the vixen is tough. Any hints? Maybe getting the mount into some particular orientation?

Dr.Don

Re: Celestron VX mount: experiences and problems new [Re: Dr.Don]
      #6084430 - 09/16/13 05:59 PM

I meant how do people get the 9.25 OTA attached to the VX mount?

dragonslayer1
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/25/12

Loc: SLC, UT
      #6084528 - 09/16/13 07:04 PM

Hey Don,
I have a CG-5, is close to yours. I have my 9.25 marked with a piece of tape on the mount bar so I always get it in same spot for DEC balance. Then I position mount head so rail tension screws have handles towards me and facing up (away from DEC cover)... I will state I did go with the ADM saddle tho but the sequence should be the same.
Kasey

ur7x
professor emeritus

Reged: 01/08/12

#6084668 - 09/16/13 08:19 PM

My next door neighbor custom order a 9.25 HD Edge for his VX mount... Both work spectacularly. Fast and easy setup and the HD optics are really nice.

Dr.Don

Re: Celestron VX mount: experiences and problems new [Re: dragonslayer1]
      #6086300 - 09/17/13 04:08 PM

Thanks Kasey.
I will try it that way. It is very awkward to get the vixen bar into the mount saddle without another person helping.
Don

cn register 5
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/26/12

#6086342 - 09/17/13 04:35 PM

What I do is have the AVX saddle horizontal with the screws at the top and screwed well out.
Hold the OTA horizontally and slip it into the saddle so it is held at the bottom. Hold it up and tighten the screws to hold it in place. I'm doing this with smaller scopes but the same thing should do.

I've seen all sorts of ingenious ways to support OTAs while attaching them to a mount, one was to put the OTA down on a stool pointing down, adjust the mount to the same orientation and slide the OTA across so it is in the mount, then tighten the screws.

Chris

SunBlack
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/05/11

Loc: Rome (IT)
Re: Celestron VX mount: experiences and problems new [Re: cn register 5]
      #6094904 - 09/22/13 11:39 AM

Last night new sequence of PEC. After 4+2+ASPA, using 3x barlow and 9mm reticle eyepiece, I averaged 5 PEC sessions via PecTool. Then by photo session test, i'm arrived at 3 minutes at 0 Dec unguided, having only a micro Dec axis direction star trailing (<= 1 pixel), well corrected with the plugin StarRounder. Now, in respect to my ex Vixen GPDX, I improved by 50%. Tests carried out with a Canon 5d mkIII (pixel dimension 6.25) and Nikon 300mm telephoto.

I note a Dec axis stiffness, since i bought mount, so sometime i doubt if mount is well balanced in Dec. This stifness produces a backlash, which cannot be corrected by HC (i made some tests) , and at 2x motor speed, it's hard to make HC corrections (motor starts to move very late, exp in one direction). For now, a not big problem, when warranty expires, i'll take the mount for a fine tuning.

Dr.Don

Re: Celestron VX mount: experiences and problems new [Re: SunBlack]
      #6177792 - 11/05/13 04:48 PM

Did anyone notice anything funny with the mount when we changed back to standard time? We were doing some observing, everything was working great, GOTO was fine. We had been testing eyepieces on M45 and after adding another calibration star everything went crazy. The mount suddenly decided M45, Capella, and Aldeberan were now below the horizon. We twice cycled power and tried to get an alignment but that failed. I verified each time that it didnt suddenly think we were in dual-scope mode because sometimes we thought it could possibly be off by 90 degrees. The location/RTC were correct. All of this happened around midnight PDT. The next day I did a factory reset and everything seems fine now. Was it just a coincidence that it happened during the switch from savings to standard time?

SkipW
sage

Reged: 02/03/11

Loc: Oklahoma, USA
      #6178166 - 11/05/13 08:47 PM

Does this mount even know about DST or do you have to tell it?

Midnight isn't when the shift happens, anyway. I'm betting coincidence.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Celestron VX mount: experiences and problems new [Re: SkipW]
      #6178897 - 11/06/13 10:03 AM

You have to tell the mount about DST. Turn it off, now.

Dr.Don

#6179975 - 11/06/13 08:44 PM

The mount does ask about DST. It was on because it was DST then. Of course it is off now. But even if it was a PDT/PST issue, that would be a pointing error of 15 degrees, not something around 60-90 degrees. What bothered me was that cycling the power and doing another alignment did not fix the problem. We did it again and same result.
Believe me, my son and I verified multiple times that it had the right location and time.
Two days later I did a factory reset and sanity returned. Perhaps just a coincidence with the time change, but the error is really bothersome.

Don

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Celestron VX mount: experiences and problems [Re: Dr.Don]
      #6180524 - 11/07/13 08:40 AM

I'd say "coincidence," since I was using the VX during the DST change and noted no weirdness.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
24 registered and 37 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2694

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics