Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Observing >> Solar Observing and Imaging

Pages: 1
Full Sun

Reged: 11/19/06

Loc: Ontario
Your thoughts on a Light Mount for a Lunt 80 ?
      #6181220 - 11/07/13 02:44 PM

I have used Alt-Az and EQ mounts for Solar Observing with my Lunt 80 DS in the past. The Half Hitch and Voyager Mounts were easy to use but I seemed to get more of a cerebral charge from mounting my scope in conjunction with my (previous) Takahashi EM 10 Mount. I felt prominences were easier to study.
I am now in the hunt for a Grab and Go lightweight EQ mount with full GoTo, or one axis tracking. I have yet to see that discussion here or have missed it. Convenience, weight and price are my main criteria for dedicated solar visual. I would appreciate any of your thoughts or experiences with any currently available mounts in the 400-800 hundred dollar range.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
jerwin
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/17/12

Loc: Romeoville IL
Re: Your thoughts on a Light Mount for a Lunt 80 ? new [Re: Full Sun]
      #6181955 - 11/07/13 10:28 PM

hummm, I guess I consider my grab and go mount my vixen porta, but that's an alt-az.

I have a Celestron Advanced VX that I wouldn't quote consider grab and go, but I lug it to solar outreach once a month. It's 799 if i'm not mistaken. I put the mount head and counterweight in a pelican 1600 case with some hard foam. It takes me 2 trips from the car unless I bring my little cart. It's a nice mount but takes me maybe 20 minutes to setup, so not as quick as my porta II, but much less baby sitting.

Jim

John P
sage

Reged: 01/27/04

Loc: Honeoye Falls, NY USA
Re: Your thoughts on a Light Mount for a Lunt 80 ? new [Re: jerwin]
      #6182317 - 11/08/13 06:11 AM

I use a Celestron 6SE mount with some success and have it set up for remote operation. It's great as you can easily change optical tubes. Currently using an 80mm William Optics Zenithstar.

Full Sun

Reged: 11/19/06

Loc: Ontario
Re: Your thoughts on a Light Mount for a Lunt 80 ? new [Re: John P]
      #6182758 - 11/08/13 11:28 AM

Thanks JandJ
I have just recently been converted to the virtues of Celestron Mounts.After the all star polar alignment process (first attempt}they absolutely point with great accuracy and consequently get out of the way. However, mine is the heaviest one..... I purchased another mid payload mount alternative recently for dark sky excursions so 'methinks' the AVX is too redundant with my new mount; maybe I can get away with something lighter.... I was seriously looking at Orion, the smaller I-Optron or Vixen Mounts. The SE mount you suggest could possibly work for me.
John, can you just point it to the Sun and start tracking?
Is it's alt-az tracking movement fairly stable? I think my set up is 8-9 lbs. I will have a serious look at this, thanks.

Edited by Full Sun (11/08/13 11:30 AM)

Scott Rose
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/20/08

Loc: beachwood ohio
Re: Your thoughts on a Light Mount for a Lunt 80 ? new [Re: Full Sun]
      #6213827 - 11/24/13 06:43 PM

i have used the ioptron minitower with good success

John P
sage

Reged: 01/27/04

Loc: Honeoye Falls, NY USA
Re: Your thoughts on a Light Mount for a Lunt 80 ? new [Re: Scott Rose]
      #6214527 - 11/25/13 07:17 AM

The Celestron 6SE mount has a software "lock" whereby you can not use the sun for a single star alignment unless you first "unlock" it. It's a real simple procedure well covered in the instructions.

Pages: 1

Extra information
11 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Scott in NC, Phillip Creed 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 394

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics