Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Cats & Casses

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
rlandsboro

Reged: 02/23/12

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ. USA
Re: Celestron Edge HD14 USA Made!? new [Re: rlandsboro]
      #6179058 - 11/06/13 11:40 AM

Perhaps the box labeler made a mistake and really meant "Chino" (California) and not "China" (the country)?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
dpippel
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/05/13

Loc: Desierto de Sonora
      #6179093 - 11/06/13 11:57 AM

Or maybe it means that only the *box* was made in China...

faltered
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/01/05

Re: Celestron Edge HD14 USA Made!? new [Re: dpippel]
      #6179133 - 11/06/13 12:24 PM

This question could easily be answered by asking Celestron right?

Ed Holland
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/16/10

Loc: San Jose, CA and Oxford, UK
Re: Celestron Edge HD14 USA Made!? new [Re: faltered]
      #6179192 - 11/06/13 12:47 PM

There is an article in the December issue of Astronomy magazine that details the building of 14" Edge OTA's at the Torrence factory.

This seems to include grind, polish, coring and coating of correctors. Also mirror coatings. Optics are matched and corrected prior to precise assembly and testing/ qualification.

Reading between the lines, it would seem that some of the more exacting production tasks take place at Torrence, whilst other parts of the telescope are produced at the Synta plant. Curiously, no mention is made of the Edge optics in the baffle tube.

Ed

T1R2
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/11/13

Loc: NeverWhere, 35*N
Re: Celestron Edge HD14 USA Made!? new [Re: Bill Barlow]
      #6179558 - 11/06/13 04:09 PM

I could be mistaken, it was around the time I was looking at both Meade and Celestron for scopes, but I'm certain it stated the 11-14 were in USA, which is why I got the 11" instead of the 8"

Mine is a XLT non-edge scope

Its taken awhile to sink in my head that yall are taking about HD scopes so I wrote all this for nothing...lol,,, but that's ok....carry on

Edited by T1R2 (11/06/13 04:30 PM)

TG
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/02/06

Loc: Latitude 47
Re: Celestron Edge HD14 USA Made!? new [Re: T1R2]
      #6179635 - 11/06/13 05:02 PM

Chris Go, of planetary imaging fame (he uses a C14), some time back posted pics on Facebook of large HD SCTs being assembled in Torrance CA. I asked him to make sure and he confirmed that they were indeed assembling SCTs in CA from Chinese made parts. In fact, from his comments on his FB pics, I inferred that they were also assembling C11HDs there (could be a mistake on his part, I didn't ask).

If you are on FB, search for him and "follow" him to see the pictures.

Tanveer.

TG
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/02/06

Loc: Latitude 47
Re: Celestron Edge HD14 USA Made!? new [Re: TG]
      #6179678 - 11/06/13 05:23 PM

Actually, I went back and took a second look. In one of the pictures, it's clearly a C11HD (I have a sharpened crop but CN TOS will probably not allow me to post it here). In another picture, you can tell it's C14s and C11s in fork mounts (or perhaps even C9.25s) by the difference in sizes.

Goes completely against what has been assumed in recent years.

Tanveer.

jrcrillyAdministrator
Refractor wienie no more

Reged: 04/30/03

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: Celestron Edge HD14 USA Made!? new [Re: TG]
      #6179858 - 11/06/13 07:15 PM

Quote:

...he confirmed that they were indeed assembling SCTs in CA from Chinese made parts.

That would settle it. They would NOT qualify for a "Made in USA" label then (check the FTC website).

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
      #6180181 - 11/06/13 11:22 PM

Thanks for that.

I'm grilling some crow. Who deserves some?

- Jim

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Celestron Edge HD14 USA Made!? new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #6180477 - 11/07/13 08:07 AM

And so it goes on Cloudy Nights...I'm just surprised there's only two measly pages of posts on this...vital issue.

Edited by rmollise (11/07/13 08:10 AM)

dpippel
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/05/13

Loc: Desierto de Sonora
Re: Celestron Edge HD14 USA Made!? new [Re: rmollise]
      #6180553 - 11/07/13 09:04 AM

Footbag
Postmaster

Reged: 04/13/09

Loc: Scranton, PA
Re: Celestron Edge HD14 USA Made!? new [Re: dpippel]
      #6180588 - 11/07/13 09:25 AM

If they are assembling them in Torrence, don't you think they would advertise it?

Finding out something is USA made or assembled always makes me feel better about my purchase. But people only care if they know.

crow
sage

Reged: 07/09/12

Loc: BC, Canada
Re: Celestron Edge HD14 USA Made!? new [Re: Footbag]
      #6180711 - 11/07/13 10:25 AM

Its interesting for a few reasons given that virtually everything that is mass produced is made in China. I'd say to Celestron, if you can do it, manufacture something more or less entirely in North America, you're welcome in Canada. Wage rates are pretty low here in the mountains, people are generally happy to ski and enjoy the basics. Celestron, I'd be happy to help.

I wonder if they get amused by all the speculation?

I imagine they rely on posts like this to get the word out, I mean what do they advertise, 'made in the USA from chinese parts'? Often word of mouth, speculation is a very good marketing tool.

Frankly any industry that comes back to the US even in a small way, you guys should be applauding.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Re: Celestron Edge HD14 USA Made!? new [Re: rmollise]
      #6180863 - 11/07/13 11:51 AM

Vital? Maybe that depends on who you are. Clearly there are prospective buyers who care about such things. "Made in USA" is a positive rather than a negative for manufacturers from a marketing perspective as a result. That's why there is actually a regulatory framework to vetting whether a manufacturer can really claim that it's goods are made in America. If so, that manufacturer has competitive advantage over other manufacturers offering similar goods that are not US made.

The fact that Celestron's C14 EdgeHD shipping box says "Made in China" means just that. "Word of mouth" marketing to the contrary is not fair to the competition or to consumers. So maybe it's not "vital" but it is important since it affects buying behavior and the competitive landscape in a very competitive low margin industry.

Regards,

Jim

crow
sage

Reged: 07/09/12

Loc: BC, Canada
Re: Celestron Edge HD14 USA Made!? new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #6180909 - 11/07/13 12:13 PM

I'm not sure how unfairness comes in it? As another poster has mentioned Celestron themselves don't make a big deal of the fact they assemble the larger ota's in the USA.

As you say, Made in China is pretty broadly printed on the side of the box.

A few years into the production of the Edge scopes an article comes out mentioning assembly in the USA. Of course we could live in an Orwellian state where every article is censured, I'm not sure that would help the general prosperity much though.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Re: Celestron Edge HD14 USA Made!? new [Re: crow]
      #6180972 - 11/07/13 12:41 PM

Unfairness in the sense that folks reading this forum might rely on the "made in USA" statement quoted and order one, only to be disappointed when it shows up and plainly says "Made in China" on the box. Likewise, the other guy making 14" SCTs (in Mexico) might have had a better chance to win that buyer's business had the buyer known that he was mistaken in believing that the 14" Celestron was NOT made in China.

That's how misleading statements such as the one quoted in the article are unfair to consumers and to competitors.

- Jim

George N
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/19/06

Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY
Re: Celestron Edge HD14 USA Made!? [Re: jrbarnett]
      #6181364 - 11/07/13 04:04 PM

I don't know the legal requirements for labeling something "made in the USA", but I'd suspect that items assembled in the USA from parts made in China has to be labeled "made in China".

Personally, I don't care where stuff I buy is made, but I would be happier purchasing a HD14 assembled in the USA simply because it would be more likely to survive without damage along the shorter shipping trip to my USA address. Also, it would be nice if repairs were needed if there was no need to ship something as big and delicate as a C-14 all the way to China.

my_universe

Reged: 01/07/10

Re: Celestron Edge HD14 USA Made!? new [Re: George N]
      #6182869 - 11/08/13 12:28 PM

Turns out the article in Astronomy describes that the corrector plates for the HD 14 are made from scratch in Torrance. Grinding, polishing, figuring, testing, and coating, then the secondary mirror is hand-figured as needed. The optics are then installed and collimated. So, not enough to claim "made in USA" for the scope, apparently, but a bit more than merely assembled there.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Celestron Edge HD14 USA Made!? new [Re: my_universe]
      #6182896 - 11/08/13 12:43 PM

The corrector plates are not "figured" in any conventional sense of the word. They are still produced using Tom Johnson's original Master Block process, and any additional touchups required for an inspec optical set are applied to the secondary.

Ed Holland
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/16/10

Loc: San Jose, CA and Oxford, UK
Re: Celestron Edge HD14 USA Made!? new [Re: my_universe]
      #6183015 - 11/08/13 01:59 PM

Quote:

Turns out the article in Astronomy describes that the corrector plates for the HD 14 are made from scratch in Torrance. Grinding, polishing, figuring, testing, and coating, then the secondary mirror is hand-figured as needed. The optics are then installed and collimated. So, not enough to claim "made in USA" for the scope, apparently, but a bit more than merely assembled there.

Thanks for restating this - I think it got overlooked in the midst of the discussion when I mentioned it earlier.

Ed

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
4 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Starman27, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2619

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics