Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> General Observing and Astronomy

Pages: 1
Widespread
professor emeritus

Reged: 05/11/11

Loc: Bowling Green, Kentucky
Bino season
      #6182521 - 11/08/13 09:26 AM

This is a nice time of year for binocular viewing.

Last night my wife and I enjoyed an early evening session. Thanks to the end of DST, we could view Pleiades, Hyades, Melotte 20 (a personal fave), and M39. We also spent some time just cruising the Milky Way, I with 15X70s and she with 9x63s.

The seeing wasn't good, but the transparency seemed very good. The area near the Double Cluster looked 3-dimensional, and scanning the area around M39 was quite impressive also.

By the time I remembered to look for M31, it was near zenith. I looked for it a bit, but the cervical swivel mount (my neck) was stiff and uncooperative. Oh well, I like Andromeda better in a scope anyway.

Clear skies,
David

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Michael Rapp
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/27/04

Loc: Dickinson, TX
Re: Bino season new [Re: Widespread]
      #6182636 - 11/08/13 10:19 AM

I've begun to do more and more binocular observing in the past year than I have in the past twenty years. It's exceptionally "grab and go" with a minimum of accessories.

It's almost reverse telescope observing for me. I slowly wander the star fields (and how lovely those star fields are!) and when I find something that might be an object, then I'll go look it up on a chart.

Binocular observing is a very refreshing form of observing.

One thing it has done to really increase my enjoyment of astronomy is that it really gives me a mental star map of the constellations and the brighter objects within them. In other words, I feel as if I know the sky more.

REC
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: NC
      #6182647 - 11/08/13 10:26 AM

Yes, this is a nice time of the year for BV. Right now out my back door facing east after 7pm the sky is filled with stars and pretty clusters. Yes the Melotte 20 is a good one for me in bino's and the Pleides for sure. Later on in the evening I love checking out the 3-4 bright star clusters in Auriga. Lately I have just been using my 8x40's, but will have to get out my 9x63's that i have on a tabletop mirror mount for overhead viewing like M31 and m33.

Clear skies!

galexand
sage

Reged: 07/10/12

Loc: Bloomington Indiana
Re: Bino season new [Re: Michael Rapp]
      #6182649 - 11/08/13 10:26 AM

It's never quite clear this time of year (hey, did I say that in spring and summer and winter too?). So it's a great time for binos -- you can really get your money's worth out of a little hole in the clouds!

Pinbout
Postmaster

Reged: 02/22/10

Loc: nj
      #6182845 - 11/08/13 12:14 PM Attachment (6 downloads)

yeah binos...but this time of year I should have coffee next to me not a 6pack.

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/06

Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA
      #6182856 - 11/08/13 12:20 PM

Quote:

Thanks to the end of DST, we could view Pleiades, Hyades, Melotte 20 (a personal fave), and M39.

Did just that a few nights ago. I think that Melotte 20, the Alpha Persei Cluster, is my very favorite binocular target in the entire sky. It always reminds me of a dragon, with the (non-member) red giant Sigma Tau as its glowing eye.

M39 is another example of a big, bright, coarse cluster that's arguably better in low- and medium-power binoculars than in any telescope.

Ed D
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/30/10

Loc: Sunny South Florida
Re: Bino season new [Re: Tony Flanders]
      #6183712 - 11/08/13 09:43 PM

Got my binos out to get a glimpse of the 'dragon'.
SURPRISE!

Ed D

Pages: 1

Extra information
7 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, panhard, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 238

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics