Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> General Observing and Astronomy

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
BenRuss

Reged: 05/01/13

Loc: Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Jupiter well worth the weight!
      #6183892 - 11/09/13 12:03 AM

Hey everyone. I got a 4.5" Newtonian reflector during the summer and was thrilled with the views of Saturn, Venus and some DSO's that it gave me. I was talking to some astronomy friends and they said that if I liked Saturn, I should wait until Jupiter came out, it would be awesome...
I just came back inside after two hour observing Jupiter and I have to say they where right. Clear bands, all the moons, and enough light for some small detail. I feel like a kid again. Thanks everyone, with your help, I am certainly hooked on this hobby again!!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
T1R2
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/11/13

Loc: NeverWhere, 35*N
Re: Jupiter well worth the weight! new [Re: BenRuss]
      #6183908 - 11/09/13 12:15 AM

After Saturn goes beyond the horizon and I've viewed Jupiter a dozen times or so, I always find myself missing Saturn and waiting and waiting....But yes, Jupiter is grand all in itself.....but the planet with rings, floating out in space, its always been my favorite.

dpwoos
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/18/06

Loc: United States
Re: Jupiter well worth the weight! new [Re: T1R2]
      #6184002 - 11/09/13 02:04 AM

Speaking of Jupiter's weight (i.e. mass), it certainly is prodigious. I believe that the barycenter of the Sun - Jupiter system lies outside of the Sun, and is the only Sun - planet barycenter to do so.

Qwickdraw
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/03/12

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
Re: Jupiter well worth the weight! new [Re: dpwoos]
      #6184152 - 11/09/13 07:23 AM

While not exact but for some perspective, I always compare Jupiter's size to that of Saturn's rings.

Andrev
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/08/11

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Re: Jupiter well worth the weight! new [Re: Qwickdraw]
      #6184157 - 11/09/13 07:30 AM

Hi.

I'm really happy for you discovering Jupiter. I like Jupiter so much with all the visible details. But I'm also a real Saturn's fan. This planet is so exceptionnal. Saddely from next year up to 2021, she will remain below the 30º altitude what mean no more exceptionnal views.

Andre.

REC
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: NC
Re: Jupiter well worth the weight! new [Re: Andrev]
      #6184264 - 11/09/13 09:24 AM

Yes, fun season with Jupiter coming up and pretty big this time of year. Always something different to see each night with those 4 moons:)

Andrev
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/08/11

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Re: Jupiter well worth the weight! new [Re: REC]
      #6184433 - 11/09/13 10:49 AM

Personnaly I find Jupiter interesting by its size and details but I have to admit the moons makes the show most of the time. Jupiter without moons transit and no GRS is less interesting than Saturn.

Andre.

Kevdog
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/11/12

Loc: Desert Hills, AZ
Re: Jupiter well worth the weight! new [Re: dpwoos]
      #6190644 - 11/12/13 12:55 PM

Quote:

Speaking of Jupiter's weight (i.e. mass), it certainly is prodigious. I believe that the barycenter of the Sun - Jupiter system lies outside of the Sun, and is the only Sun - planet barycenter to do so.

If Jupiter had gained 20% more mass, the Solar System would be a binary star system! Good thing for us it didn't!

Dwight J
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/14/09

Loc: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada
Re: Jupiter well worth the weight! new [Re: Kevdog]
      #6190746 - 11/12/13 01:53 PM

Jupiter needs a bit more than 20% more mass. Assuming it has enough hydrogen in order for fusion to begin it would require 80X more mass than it currently has. The smallest stars have about 100 times Jupiter's mass. It will have to munch a few more comets to get there. If you saw the movie "2010" something wonderful happened and Jupiter became a star.

StrangeDejavu
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/20/13

Loc: Florida
      #6190766 - 11/12/13 02:06 PM

Quote:

After Saturn goes beyond the horizon and I've viewed Jupiter a dozen times or so, I always find myself missing Saturn and waiting and waiting....But yes, Jupiter is grand all in itself.....but the planet with rings, floating out in space, its always been my favorite.

+1. There's nothing quite like gazing at Saturn on a clear night.

dpippel
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/05/13

Loc: Desierto de Sonora
Re: Jupiter well worth the weight! new [Re: StrangeDejavu]
      #6190857 - 11/12/13 02:52 PM

I agree about Saturn. There's nothing more stunning than viewing it against a background of black velvet when the seeing is great. A glimpse of Saturn through a cheap 60mm Tasco refractor back in the late 70's is what got me hooked on this crazy hobby.

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/06

Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA
      #6190891 - 11/12/13 03:07 PM

Quote:

Jupiter is grand all in itself.....but the planet with rings, floating out in space, its always been my favorite.

Saturn is great to gawk at, but it wears thin in a hurry. The rings are the rings, and seeing detail on the disk is usually pretty tough.

With Jupiter, there's always something new going on. I spend far more time viewing it than viewing Saturn.

Widespread
professor emeritus

Reged: 05/11/11

Loc: Bowling Green, Kentucky
Re: Jupiter well worth the weight! new [Re: Tony Flanders]
      #6190998 - 11/12/13 03:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Jupiter is grand all in itself.....but the planet with rings, floating out in space, its always been my favorite.

Saturn is great to gawk at, but it wears thin in a hurry. The rings are the rings, and seeing detail on the disk is usually pretty tough.

With Jupiter, there's always something new going on. I spend far more time viewing it than viewing Saturn.

The "twilight saga", Team Saturn v. Team Jove? I am Team Jove fer shure. The ever-changing moons, the constant rotation of features and discernible changes to persistent features conspire to bewitch me.

Clear skies,
David

dpippel
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/05/13

Loc: Desierto de Sonora
Re: Jupiter well worth the weight! new [Re: Widespread]
      #6191197 - 11/12/13 05:24 PM

Luckily we don't have to choose. We get to enjoy both planets.

brianb11213
Postmaster

Reged: 02/25/09

Loc: 55.215N 6.554W
Re: Jupiter well worth the weight! new [Re: dpippel]
      #6191207 - 11/12/13 05:28 PM

Quote:

Luckily we don't have to choose. We get to enjoy both planets.

Well you lot "darn sarf" might. Saturn will be a horizon scraper for me until about 2020. In fact at the end of the current decade there will be a 4 year period when both Jupiter & Saturn are too low be be usefully observed.

Edward E
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/26/06

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: Jupiter well worth the weight! new [Re: brianb11213]
      #6191347 - 11/12/13 06:46 PM

Interesting, I did not realize that about Jupiter and Saturn and my wife wonders why I will not move to a far northern climate like, O, Sweden, Finland or Russia. I would be so depressed not able to observe Saturn or Jupiter for such a long period of time.

youngamateur42
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/21/12

Loc: La Verne, CA
Re: Jupiter well worth the weight! new [Re: Edward E]
      #6191451 - 11/12/13 07:44 PM

I like both planets and both are very, very different. However I find that on Saturn there is pretty much just rings and a few subtle cloud details. On Jupiter, the days are so short (I think around 9 hours) that it changed over a relatively short period. For example last year I looked at Jupiter at the beginning of the night and a few hours later it was much different. Moons have changed position, different Jovian features are on display. In fact I have seen change in the moons position in as little as 30 minutes. There is so much to see and study on it and always is interesting to look at. Though Saturn does charm of its own. I am a Jupiter fan for sure though

cavefrog
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/11/08

Loc: loozyanna
Re: Jupiter well worth the weight! new [Re: youngamateur42]
      #6191886 - 11/12/13 11:47 PM

speaking of Jupiter's moons, Europa is going to have a transmission Tonite at 12 midnight central time. It has almost started its transition now. It is right on the limb.

Theo

cavefrog
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Jupiter well worth the weight! new [Re: cavefrog]
      #6191911 - 11/13/13 12:09 AM

I think maybe it might be a little later than that. Stellarium is showing it about 1/3 in right now, but that is not what I am seeing in my scope. Wind and all. getting pretty cool for around here tonight.

Theo

cavefrog
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Jupiter well worth the weight! new [Re: cavefrog]
      #6191940 - 11/13/13 12:43 AM

It ain't happenin' for me tonight. Conditions will not allow. Bad seeing and wind. Even with the VSP's, I cain't keep 'er still!

Rats!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
7 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, panhard, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1301

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics