Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> General Observing and Astronomy

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
DavidC
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/24/05

Loc: Mesa, Arizona
Comet Ison Vs Comet Lovejoy
      #6185097 - 11/09/13 05:12 PM

We've been reading and seeing some great articles and images on comet Ison in the last few months, but I haven't seen or heard much about comet Lovejoy. Last night I went out to a fairly dark area about 10:30 after the moon disappeared, to observe some of my favorite winter constellations and dso's. According to Heavens-Above, comet Lovejoy was supposed to be about half way in between Jupiter and Regulus last night, but I couldn't find it to save my life, and it is supposed to be about mag 10. I've heard Lovejoy is another great comet in the early morning sky, but I just don't hear or see much about it. Has anybody seen or heard much about comet Lovejoy??
Thanks, David

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bangbangexplode

Reged: 09/26/13

Re: Comet Ison Vs Comet Lovejoy new [Re: DavidC]
      #6185115 - 11/09/13 05:24 PM

The only mention of Lovejoy that I've seen was from Eyes on the Sky. Other than that it's been ISON ISON ISON, especially from the astronomy mags.

I was going to try for Lovejoy tonight but I have overcast skies.

boandpokey
sage

Reged: 07/25/13

Loc: Auburndale, Fl
Re: Comet Ison Vs Comet Lovejoy new [Re: bangbangexplode]
      #6185160 - 11/09/13 05:54 PM

lovejoy is around mag 6.5 now. im heading to a 6.0 mag spot tomorrow with my sw100 tomorrow to catch it. shouldn't be hard to spot

kfiscus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/09/12

Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA
      #6185165 - 11/09/13 05:57 PM

Google the website Comet Chasing for accurate info and great printable finder charts. Lovejoy may steal the show for the next few weeks. I'm hoping to see 4 or 5 comets tomorrow morning.

T1R2
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/11/13

Loc: NeverWhere, 35*N
Re: Comet Ison Vs Comet Lovejoy new [Re: boandpokey]
      #6185172 - 11/09/13 06:00 PM

Also dealing with clouds I am...

DavidC
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/24/05

Loc: Mesa, Arizona
Re: Comet Ison Vs Comet Lovejoy new [Re: T1R2]
      #6185221 - 11/09/13 06:28 PM

Thanks, I'll look into the Comet Chasing website and try again. It might be as good as Ison or even better, we'll see.
David

jeff heck
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/16/06

Loc: stl,mo.
      #6185222 - 11/09/13 06:29 PM

I observed both a few days ago from a green site. Both had faint tails but Lovejoy was much brighter, easily seen in the 9x50 finder scope.

Intensity2x
sage

Reged: 09/06/11

Loc: Northern NJ
Re: Comet Ison Vs Comet Lovejoy new [Re: jeff heck]
      #6185390 - 11/09/13 08:36 PM

Viewed both this morning with an 18" reflector. Lovejoy is the one to see for sure. Much higher, much brighter and much much larger. Lovejoy was easily visible, large, and I could make out the tail. ISON was faint, difficult and unimpressive.

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/06

Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA
      #6185968 - 11/10/13 05:57 AM

Quote:

We've been reading and seeing some great articles and images on comet Ison in the last few months, but I haven't seen or heard much about comet Lovejoy. Last night I went out to a fairly dark area about 10:30 after the moon disappeared, to observe some of my favorite winter constellations and dso's. According to Heavens-Above, comet Lovejoy was supposed to be about half way in between Jupiter and Regulus last night, but I couldn't find it to save my life, and it is supposed to be about mag 10.

I would say that the chances of finding a 10th-magnitude object by sweeping an area that huge is exceedingly close to zero. For instance, there are a number of 10th-magnitude galaxies in that swath, and you wouldn't expect to find them, would you?

Fortunately, Lovejoy is now 6th magnitude, making it much easier to spot. It is far more impressive than ISON. You can download detailed finder charts for both at the end of my blog.

BrooksObs
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/08/12

Re: Comet Ison Vs Comet Lovejoy new [Re: Tony Flanders]
      #6186089 - 11/10/13 08:36 AM

Tony is right. Even though Comet Lovejoy is currently about 7.0 magnitude, casually sweeping around a vast region of sky, like that currently between Jupiter and Regulus in hopes of picking up any non-nakedeye comet, is an almost hopeless task governed solely by chance. Unless situated in relatively close proximity to some nakedeye star to act as a guidepost, locating most binocular/telescopic comets calls for the observer to have a reasonably detailed chart indicating the comet's exact position to work from.

BrooksObs

Edited by BrooksObs (11/10/13 08:38 AM)

waso29
sage

Reged: 05/12/10

Loc: Chi-Town, USA, mother earth
Re: Comet Ison Vs Comet Lovejoy new [Re: BrooksObs]
      #6186494 - 11/10/13 12:29 PM

Thanks, Tony! The charts greatly helped me locate the two comets from chicago's lakefront this morning.

esd726
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/30/04

Loc: Rochester, IN
Re: Comet Ison Vs Comet Lovejoy new [Re: waso29]
      #6186580 - 11/10/13 01:04 PM

Yep, Just looked for Lovejoy, this morning, between M44 and the Head of Leo and it was very obvious in binoculars.

Dave Mitsky
Postmaster

Reged: 04/08/02

Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth
Re: Comet Ison Vs Comet Lovejoy new [Re: esd726]
      #6187006 - 11/10/13 04:19 PM

I was able to see Comet Lovejoy rather easily through a 10x50 Celestron Ultima binocular from my red zone backyard early this morning.

C/2013 R1 (Lovejoy) was located a bit northeast of M44 and appeared as a more-or-less circular patch of nebulosity.

Browse http://freestarcharts.com/index.php/19-news-and-current-events/218-comet-love... and http://cometchasing.skyhound.com/comets/2013_R1.pdf for finder charts.

For more on the comet, consult the following sites:

https://www.heavens-above.com/comet.aspx?cid=C%2F2013%20R1&lat=0&lng=...

http://spaceweathergallery.com/indiv_upload.php?upload_id=89424&PHPSESSID... (image)

http://scully.cfa.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/returnprepeph.cgi?d=c&o=CK13R010 (ephemeris)

http://theskylive.com/lovejoy-tracker

http://cometchasing.skyhound.com/

Dave Mitsky

molniyabeer
Confused and Asleep

Reged: 01/08/05

Loc: Albuquerque, NM
Re: Comet Ison Vs Comet Lovejoy new [Re: Dave Mitsky]
      #6187233 - 11/10/13 05:59 PM Attachment (23 downloads)

I've enjoyed Lovejoy on several mornings, most recently last Thursday when it was cruising past the Beehive in Cancer. Pretty in binocs and with a DSLR. I've yet to see ISON visually but have gotten a couple of faint images of it. And of course now that it's starting to brighten we're in for a week of clouds...

lintonius
sage

Reged: 12/13/05

Loc: south-central Utah
Re: Comet Ison Vs Comet Lovejoy new [Re: molniyabeer]
      #6187976 - 11/11/13 03:52 AM

Quote:

I've enjoyed Lovejoy on several mornings, most recently last Thursday when it was cruising past the Beehive in Cancer. Pretty in binocs and with a DSLR. I've yet to see ISON visually but have gotten a couple of faint images of it. And of course now that it's starting to brighten we're in for a week of clouds...

Nice photo! Thanks for sharing.
I've been viewing it the past few nights through my TV-102. I'm using the Beehive - M44 - as my visual signpost, and it's pretty easy to spot as it moves toward the head of Leo. Pops right out in my 26mm Nagler (34x), and appears as a diffuse, round coma with a bright core. This is as seen from the comfort of my loft, through a dual-pane window. ;^) Yeah, I know... I'll get my old wimpy butt out there in the cold one of these nights!
I was getting frustrated hunting for Ison, but then read about the other comets currently viewable. Nice to see Lovejoy... first comet I've seen since Pan-Starrs, which was a naked-eye object from my front yard. Still hoping Ison gets that bright soon!
Linton

T1R2
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/11/13

Loc: NeverWhere, 35*N
Re: Comet Ison Vs Comet Lovejoy new [Re: molniyabeer]
      #6187983 - 11/11/13 04:00 AM

I just seen my first comet of the year......Lovejoy=0, T1R2=7, right now its off the nose of Leo, looks sort of like M15 through the AR127 at 41x, have yet to even spot ISON. Next target will be Encke.

bandhunter

Reged: 12/01/09

Loc: North Carolina
      #6188340 - 11/11/13 10:47 AM

Saw lovejoy this morning with the 10". It was easily seen in my 9x50 finder. Planning on following it the next few observing sessions The charts in the links posted above made it an easy find. Thanks guys.

Edited by bandhunter (11/11/13 10:50 AM)

RussL
Music Maker

Reged: 03/18/08

Loc: Cayce and Lancaster, SC
Re: Comet Ison Vs Comet Lovejoy new [Re: bandhunter]
      #6190666 - 11/12/13 01:05 PM

Saw Lovejoy in 10x50s from a red zone. No problem. Looked better from the yellow zone at my other house, though. easy to spot except for this morn, but it was after 6am, and having to look over a streetlight, so...

Tom and Beth
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/08/07

Loc: Tucson, AZ
      #6191098 - 11/12/13 04:44 PM

I've got a comparison shot (same equipment, etc) on the bottom of THIS THREAD.

Lovejoy is much easier as it's brighter and higher in the sky

nexguy

Reged: 08/05/09

Loc: Wichita Falls, TX
      #6192217 - 11/13/13 08:59 AM

Animation of ISON I made on the 5th.
Link
(28 minute time span)

Edited by nexguy (11/13/13 09:00 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
9 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, panhard, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2184

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics