Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Observing >> Double Star Observing

Pages: 1
WRAK
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 02/18/12

Nice and easy triple-double in Peg plus bonus
      #6185939 - 11/10/13 04:39 AM

In my last session in Peg I had by chance with STF2932 and STF3134 two wide ~+10mag faint doubles in the same 30' field of view and "detected" a third wide double in it not on my list: CHE366. Not difficult at all but a nice triangle of doubles.
Then nearby a bonus with a faint wide double-double AG423 and HJ1785 also in a 30' field of view - this one is especially interesting as the advertised data for AG423 is obviously wrong: The companion of AG423 is listed with +9.7mag but is much fainter as the +10.05mag companion of HJ1785.
Wilfried

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
opticsguy
sage

Reged: 02/02/09

Loc: Washington State
Re: Nice and easy triple-double in Peg plus bonus new [Re: WRAK]
      #6200210 - 11/17/13 03:56 PM

Your observations are very interesting. I would be a very beginner to explore such objects.

I would like to explore many of the marked doubles in Sky Pocket Atlas but not sure really where to start. An example would be on chart 62. Cygnus 17 is marked a double and close by is Sigma 2576. There are several other marked doubles within a few degrees of these, how to identify?

What data bases are you using? User friendly?

Thank you.

WRAK
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 02/18/12

Re: Nice and easy triple-double in Peg plus bonus new [Re: opticsguy]
      #6200260 - 11/17/13 04:33 PM

An easy possibility would be Cartes du Ciel (freeware) with activated Washington Double Star catalog. You need then only an entry point like 17 Cyg (you can search with Flamsteed even if this option is not explicitly indicated) and you see then on the map for the selected area all double stars currently registered (in total more than 100,000) with their discoverer designations. Right click on the object gives you then the data for this double like separation, magnitudes of components and so on. I think this could be a good starting point for first experiments with double star observing.
Wilfried
PS: For my own session planning I use AstroPlanner also with the current WDS catalog plus other catalogs for orientation like Hipparco and Tycho II and UCAC4 for counterchecking the magnitudes of the components

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  PJ Anway, Rich (RLTYS), rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 260

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics