Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> General Observing and Astronomy

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)
mattyfatz
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/27/06

Loc: Boise Idaho
Re: Comet ISON_Please... new [Re: Illinois]
      #6180489 - 11/07/13 08:17 AM

I think you should try with a little more aperture. It's faint and its low in the sky. It just looks like a fuzzy out of focus star, and the tail is no noticeable..
And that's with mounted 25x100 binos.
Several apps have updated real time positions of the comet, such as sky safari and distant suns.
Cheers

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tony Flanders
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/06

Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA
      #6180528 - 11/07/13 08:41 AM

Quote:

I think that comet is much fainter than expected.

That's correct -- less than 1% as bright as initial estimates. It's certainly visible, but it's not going to jump out and grab you; you really have to look carefully.

BrooksObs
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/08/12

#6180604 - 11/07/13 09:30 AM

Quote:

I woke up 4:30 this morning and grab my 10X50 binocular then went outside. Night is clear! I see Leo and Mars. I don't see Comet Ison then I went in to check Sky and Telescope November page 50. Comet should be at Leo's tail and close to around Beta star in Virgo. I went out and look. Still don't find it! I don't see a comet's tail or fuzzy blob of light. I think that comet is much fainter than expect. I don't know. November 17 to 20 should be easier because the comet would be close and pass Spica in Virgo.

First of all, you will require far more detailed charts than those supplied in S&T if you anticipate "sweeping up" C/ISON with just 10x50B, which in themselves are far too small an instrument currently unless your skies are really great.

I would also hasten to point out that beyond November 15th the full moon will severely interfere with spotting the comet with simple binoculars as its positioned becomes rapidly lower with each morning. Even by then C/ISON may still be no more than 7th magnitude and in early twilight except for those with very good eastern horizons.

BrooksObs

Edward E
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/26/06

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: Comet ISON_Please... new [Re: nicknacknock]
      #6180639 - 11/07/13 09:48 AM

Beautiful Dog; sure is more interesting than ISON. Now the dog is "officially" part of topic.

nicknacknock
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/20/12

Loc: In a galaxy far far away...
Re: Comet ISON_Please... new [Re: Edward E]
      #6180674 - 11/07/13 10:08 AM

Thanx Edward

Still, I would like a shot at ISON this weekend - weather permitting. I didn't get a chance with Panstarrs, but had a great viewing of Lovejoy last week and I'd like to top it with ISON. I am not too hopeful for a "Comet of the Century" event, but I will humbly settle for just finding and tracking the sucker!

Every time I look up, I am amazed. So even though ISON may fizzle out, I will still count myself lucky if I spot it before it disappears (if it survives its close encounter with the sun) back into the dark yet mesmerizing abyss of space!

Illinois
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/18/06

Loc: near Dixon, Illinois USA
Re: Comet ISON_Please... new [Re: nicknacknock]
      #6180825 - 11/07/13 11:33 AM

Thanks and I just take 10X50 binocular because I thought the comet suppose to be around 5th mag but its not! I don't feel like go to take my 5 inch refractor!

boandpokey
sage

Reged: 07/25/13

Loc: Auburndale, Fl
      #6181001 - 11/07/13 12:53 PM

so new pics where its jetting fgas faster and has a secondary tail now...

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

Re: Comet ISON_Please... new [Re: boandpokey]
      #6181065 - 11/07/13 01:26 PM

Yes, recent reports indicate that it has gained brightness rapidly just in the last few days. Still far below the curve, but improving. I can't vouch for that from personal experience, however.

Edward E
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Comet ISON_Please... new [Re: Tony Flanders]
      #6181159 - 11/07/13 02:11 PM

If it is clear this weekend I will have a look with my 6" f8 Refractor and see what there is to see plus have a look at the other comets.

hazilim
sage

Reged: 09/11/08

Loc: Arizona
      #6181930 - 11/07/13 10:10 PM

I consulted the Astronomy Magazine chart, went out at 4:30AM (3 nights in a row), tried hard to spot ISON. I used a FUJI FMT 7X50 & a Garrett Signature 10X50 binocs. No luck. I think this one is way too dim to find. I'll try again if any change in magnitude is reported.
Bob

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

#6182469 - 11/08/13 08:50 AM

Quote:

Yes, recent reports indicate that it has gained brightness rapidly just in the last few days. Still far below the curve, but improving. I can't vouch for that from personal experience, however.

Well, I took a look this morning, and it has indeed gotten much brighter since the last time I looked. An easy find in my 7-inch scope from outer-suburban skies, and rather attractive at 120X.

The real showpiece, however, is C/2013 R1 (Lovejoy), now moving from Cancer to the head of Leo. It's near the zenith and it's big, bright, and beautiful in 10x30 binoculars. Almost as bright as ISON was forecast to be now, and much better placed in the sky.

stargazer424
sage

Reged: 10/03/05

Loc: Central NJ
      #6182733 - 11/08/13 11:15 AM

I was going to ask this in a new thread, but since one was already made...

Is ISON (et al) worth getting out for? I dpn't sleep well as it is so I cherish my time sleeping, and I am not a fan of the cold. So is it worth getting up at 4 or so in the morning to try and see these? Took me forever to try and spot PANSTARRS.

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

Re: Comet ISON_Please... new [Re: stargazer424]
      #6182861 - 11/08/13 12:22 PM

Quote:

Is ISON (et al) worth getting out for?

No -- not yet, anyway. But C/2013 R1 Lovejoy might be. Or you can stay up past 1 a.m., if you'd rather do it that way.

stargazer424
sage

#6183064 - 11/08/13 02:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Is ISON (et al) worth getting out for?

No -- not yet, anyway. But C/2013 R1 Lovejoy might be. Or you can stay up past 1 a.m., if you'd rather do it that way.

Hmm...that might be an option. What should I be expecting to see with Lovejoy in an 8" Dob? Will the tail be visible or just the coma?

Edward E
scholastic sledgehammer

#6183119 - 11/08/13 02:50 PM

Depends on how light polluted your skies are. If your sky is the same color as a basket ball then no but if you can see 3rd mag stars then you should be able to see it. For good finder charts for these comets that are free to download and print go here: Skyhound-Comets

Check out the Planetary & Solar System Observing forum here on CNTR for excellent descriptions of the comet's(s) visual appearance each day.

Edited by Edward E (11/08/13 02:53 PM)

stargazer424
sage

#6183176 - 11/08/13 03:25 PM

Sadly I live in a red zone on the edge of an orange zone. Maybe I will shoot for Lovejoy tonight and save ISON for if/when it starts to shine.

Thanks for the link to the charts!

Looks like Stellarium has the magnitude reversed for ISON and Lovejoy. It says ISON is 6.18 and Lovejoy is 8.97

http://cometchasing.skyhound.com/ says ISON is between 8.1 and 7.7 and Lovejoy is between 6.7 and 5.1

MessiToM
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/21/09

Loc: Huntingdon PA
      #6184795 - 11/09/13 02:32 PM

I just cant seem to drag my but out of bed in the AM for ISON. I really should have stayed up just a tad longer last night for lovejoy.

Tony Flanders, I really enjoy seeing you comment in these threads!

Edward E
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Comet ISON_Please... [Re: MessiToM]
      #6186511 - 11/10/13 12:36 PM

I hear you there. I wanted to get out and have a look this AM but sleep won that fight, plus the sky was filled with cirrus clouds this AM so no observing today. I will try again Monday morning.

Edward E
scholastic sledgehammer

#6191330 - 11/12/13 06:36 PM

I was out and observing @ 4AM today (11/12)from my home in a red zone; found Comet Lovejoy right off the bat and enjoyed viewing it for 30 minutes then there was Comet ISON, please... ; I could not even find it, neither in finder 6X50 (old Edmond Sci Deluxe Finder)nor in the 6" f8 Refractor with a Meade 40 mm wide field eyepiece (30X 1.4d FOV) or the 25mm Orthoscopic (49X 1d FOV). so much for, well you all know.

One the bright side of things there is yet another comet to add to the list in the AM sky; Comet C/2013 V3 (Nevski)is between Leo and Cancer or Cancer and Leo. Here is the link to a finder chart for the new comer:

http://cometchasing.skyhound.com/comets/2013_V3.pdf

The AM sky is getting rather crowded with Solar Dust Bunnies (5 at last count).

Astro_Girl

Reged: 11/12/13

Loc: Texas
Re: Comet ISON_Please... new [Re: Tom and Beth]
      #6192562 - 11/13/13 12:19 PM

Comet Ison maybe brighter than the average bear but even I as a newbie amateur astronomer knew not to expect a "brilliant, dazzling, blindingly and bright comet in the sky" or the "comet of the century" as people imagine it should be by images they conjure up in there heads. As I show the comet, I am excited to find and see it but when showing it on a public event night I feel the general public is greatly disappointed.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)

Extra information
7 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, panhard, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8840

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics