Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Astrophotography and Sketching >> CCD Imaging & Processing

Pages: 1
RandallK
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/10/06

Loc: Nanaimo, B. C. Canada
Any ATIK 383-L Mono CCD Users Out There?
      #6193789 - 11/14/13 12:03 AM

I'm seriously thinking of moving up to an ATIK 383L Monochrome CCD. I currently have the 3l4e Monochrome with Baader LRGB 1.25" filters. I understand that it should work with my existing Orion Nautilus 1.25 filter wheel with no vignetting. I also hear that the Kodak 8300 CCD Chip is no longer being made by Kodak. If I decide to purchase soon enough, I would imagine I would still get an ATIK with the Kodak chip in it. I would definitely check this out from my regional vendor before the purchase.

So my question is, Who has an ATIK 383L Monochrome CCD camera and how do they like it?

I still get nice results with my ATIK 3l4e but would like to get a wider f.o.v. Thanks for reading.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
microstar
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/05/08

Loc: Canada
Re: Any ATIK 383-L Mono CCD Users Out There? new [Re: RandallK]
      #6193819 - 11/14/13 12:24 AM

I use an Atik 383L+ mono CCD and I've been happy with it. I had a few initial problems with a sticking shutter but that was fixed fairly quickly. The Atik support was excellent, responding within a few hours of a post made on a weekend and having a PDF emailed to me with instructions on how to fix the problem within 24h. The KAF-8300 chip is noisier than the Sony chips, but I go up to 30min subs without problems. I get up to 35 degrees C of cooling which is enough for my cooler climate but perhaps wouldn't be enough in a warm climate. It does have a nice FOV and pixel size for a wide range of objects. Finally, although Atik reports a read noise of 7 e or so, mine and other measurements suggest it's a more middle-of-the-pack 10 e or so. So I would say a good mid-range 8300-based CCD with a price to match. I certainly have no plans to trade mine in anytime soon.
...Keith

RandallK
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Any ATIK 383-L Mono CCD Users Out There? new [Re: microstar]
      #6193870 - 11/14/13 01:31 AM

Thanks Keith for the quick feedback. The Sony chip in my 314 has a readout noise of 3e...very clean. I'm really not sure if it's worth going from the 3l4 up to the 383 just to get a few more wide field objects. I'm sure I'll be able to talk myself into it though. The name of the company that took over the manufacture of the KAF-8300 chip is TRUESENSE.
I see Optcorp lists the ATIK 383L's CCD chip as made by Truesense and not Kodak, but Trusense still calls it the KAF-8300 chip. Wonder if the quality is better, worse, or the same as the original Kodak chip?

Thanks again Keith and maybe I'll get some further info from some more folks.

Randy

Edited by RandallK (11/14/13 01:35 AM)

freestar8n
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/12/07

#6193970 - 11/14/13 04:38 AM

Hi-

I recently bought the 383L+ and it has been fine so far, and I haven't needed to contact Atik. I decided on an 8300 ccd for the size, vs. the smaller sony ccds, and for me it was a transition from shutterless sx ccd's to this one. I mainly went with Atik because I also decided on the 9-position filter wheel for 1.25" filters. So first I decided on 8300, then filter wheel, and that made me choose the atik ccd.

I miss having very fast shutterless downloads with a smaller sony interline ccd, but this is the way it works.

The only thing to be aware of is the particular adapters that you need on either side. The docs are unclear about it and you need the right ones.

The shutter is fast and inaudible.

The download time is around 8s I think. The cooling is fast but I don't run it very cool - -10-20C. The read noise is around 9-10e, which I don't think is unusual for 8300 systems.

I use it with Maxim on an Edge8.

I don't have many images posted because I don't get much chance to image. On CN I recently posted an ISON image with it, and earlier I posted an Ha image of a region near the Pelican nebula.

One advantage other ccd's would have is the ability to use dslr lenses in conjunction with a filter wheel. This requires specially designed systems to work with the limited backfocus. I can use my canon lense with the Atik and I can use individual filters one at a time, but I can't use a filter wheel.

Frank

buckeyestargazer
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/12/08

Loc: IN, USA
      #6194132 - 11/14/13 08:44 AM

I used a Atik 383L for about 3 years and really enjoyed it. It performed very well for me. I used 1.25" filters down to f/5.2. Be aware that there will be vignetting with 1.25" filters, but at least down to f/5 good flats will easily remove the vignetting. Most of the images on my website (see below) were taken with this camera. For me, it would be worth it to move from the 314e to 383L.

Ron (Lubbock)
sage

Reged: 08/17/12

Loc: West TX
Re: Any ATIK 383-L Mono CCD Users Out There? new [Re: buckeyestargazer]
      #6194459 - 11/14/13 12:12 PM

I use a 383L+ with 36 mm filters. I am 99% happy with it, and have no plans to replace it right now.

One minor criticism is that it doesn't perform well when binned 2x2 or higher. Stars can develop asymmetry or even a tiny horizontal bloom on one side. Several CN members thought my telescope was out of collimation when they saw my 2x2 binned images, but the collimation is spot-on. Without touching the collimation, the stars are perfectly symmetrical when binned 1x1. So if the pixel size is too small for your liking, don't plan on binning.

MikeCatfin
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/12/04

Loc: NJ, USA
Re: Any ATIK 383-L Mono CCD Users Out There? new [Re: Ron (Lubbock)]
      #6194740 - 11/14/13 02:48 PM

The asymmetry of the stars when binned 2x2 is due to the 8300 chip, not because of Atik.

RandallK
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Any ATIK 383-L Mono CCD Users Out There? new [Re: MikeCatfin]
      #6195010 - 11/14/13 05:05 PM

Very interesting and helpful replies. Does anybody have images, preferably LRGB or RGB?

orion69
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/09/10

Loc: Croatia
      #6195090 - 11/14/13 05:43 PM

Atik 383L+ works very nicely with 1.25" filters and Atik FW (EFW2) down to f/5 (there are some vignetting but easily removable with flats). No need to buy larger filters.
It's important that FW (filters) should be as close to the camera as possible. Atik FW threads directly to camera...
All my images are done with this camera.

Ron (Lubbock)
sage

Reged: 08/17/12

Loc: West TX
Re: Any ATIK 383-L Mono CCD Users Out There? new [Re: orion69]
      #6195251 - 11/14/13 07:04 PM

Mike is right that the asymmetry is due to the chip. Any other manufacturer's camera with KAF-8300 chip will have the same problem binned 2x2. Sorry for any confusion.

Here are a couple of recent images of mine taken with C11 Edge and the 383L+. The NGC 7479 was binned 2x2 and the M31 was binned 1x1. Both were 7 to 8 hrs. of total integration time with the same mount under excellent conditions. Click the thumbnails to see the full images on Astrobin, and you'll see the slight lack of roundness of the stars on the 7479 photo. It gets worse if the image is stretched more aggressively, but I processed this image so it would be less obvious. The stars in the M31 image are soooooo much nicer that I think I will never do another 2x2 binned image.

Finally, here's an image taken with my C8 (non-HD), which has grossly inferior optics. There is some distortion at the corners due to imperfect optics and lack of a flat field. If your optics aren't perfect right to the edge, the large format sensor will expose it in a hurry. The bright stars at the center of the nebula are fused together due to blooming, and the bright star at upper left has a pretty obvious bloom too. This image was acquired with 2x binning.

microstar
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/05/08

Loc: Canada
      #6195274 - 11/14/13 07:16 PM

Quote:

Very interesting and helpful replies. Does anybody have images, preferably LRGB or RGB?

The luminance for the image I have posted now in this CCD forum on LBN552 was taken with my 383L (color came from a DSLR).
...Keith

RandallK
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Any ATIK 383-L Mono CCD Users Out There? new [Re: microstar]
      #6195392 - 11/14/13 08:10 PM

Ooooh...I'm getting swayed now! Thanks to all for your great responses. I think I will be ordering the 383 mono in the near future. I have the Nautilus 1.25" filter wheel and Baader LRGB filter set. The filter wheel is paired up with the 314e right now and the filter wheel sits very close to the ATIK. Thanks everyone!

Edited by RandallK (11/14/13 08:11 PM)

RandallK
Carpal Tunnel

#6321258 - 01/18/14 09:09 PM

The 383l mono arrived 2 weeks ago and now it we will be clouded over for sure for the next 6 weeks.

Madratter
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/14/13

#6321268 - 01/18/14 09:18 PM

Is that the optimist or the pessimist speaking?

Seriously, enjoy the new camera.

bluedandelion
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/17/07

Loc: Hazy Hollow, Western WA
Re: Any ATIK 383-L Mono CCD Users Out There? new [Re: Madratter]
      #6323148 - 01/19/14 10:25 PM

Be aware that if the power supply voltage falls below 12V (even low 12.x Volts) many 383L+ users including me have experienced huge increase in noise. Don't know if the newer ones have had that problem fixed. Getting a good regulated supply is a good idea in any case.

If the voltage is stabilized, this camera is a keeper.

Ajay

Edited by bluedandelion (01/19/14 10:26 PM)

niteman1946
sage

Reged: 02/16/08

Loc: Fort Worth, TX
Re: Any ATIK 383-L Mono CCD Users Out There? new [Re: bluedandelion]
      #6323592 - 01/20/14 07:37 AM

I agree with Ajay. My Atik is just a little over a year old. I bought it with the Atik 12v power source, and had problems with extensive noise. A 13.8v RPS fixed the problem.
This camera is also sensitive to moisture and icing on the chip when using the cooler. Regular recycling the desiccant tablets may help, although of that I'm still not certain.
Now having said all that, I do like the camera and use it extensively.

Mark

RandallK
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Any ATIK 383-L Mono CCD Users Out There? new [Re: niteman1946]
      #6324285 - 01/20/14 02:20 PM

My situation here is that my back yard configuration is using an AC outlet to a 5.5 amp 12 Volt power transformer with cigar lighter plugs (3). In the field my astro buddy has a inverter generator and the same 12 Volt power transformer is used. Being that I'm not using battery packs, I have had neither problems with my mount tracking or voltage drops with my cameras or computers.
I will be cooling down my camera over a 10 to 15 minute period before imaging and when finished, warm it back up to ambient temperature over the same time. The only thing I have problems with is the weather!

Pages: 1

Extra information
21 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Oldfield, Scott in NC, bilgebay, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 681

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics