Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Observatories

Pages: << 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | (show all)
tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/23/12

Loc: Southeast South Dakota,USA
Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. new [Re: tim57064]
      #6194470 - 11/14/13 12:18 PM Attachment (26 downloads)

Now finished painting,another shot.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Raginar
Postmaster

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. [Re: tim57064]
      #6194587 - 11/14/13 01:28 PM

Pretty cool

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. new [Re: Raginar]
      #6195339 - 11/14/13 07:45 PM Attachment (30 downloads)

Thanks Chris,Here is an image of it installed,the "Rat Cage" on the permanent pier in the OBS,Finally.

Edited by tim57064 (11/14/13 07:47 PM)

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

#6195389 - 11/14/13 08:08 PM Attachment (21 downloads)

Also today after installing the scopes mounting plate,I spent the rest of the day trenching in the Cat5e cable from my woodworking shop to the OBS.
I ran it under the desk where my desktop will be placed.
That is also where I placed the new 5 Port Gigabit Ethernet switch.
After which I tested it with my laptop and it works great.
Here is a shot of it.

BYoesle
Post Laureate

Reged: 06/12/04

Loc: Goldendale, Washington USA
      #6197155 - 11/15/13 08:38 PM

Nice to see all your progress Tim!

Aquarist
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/27/12

Loc: Illinois
Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. new [Re: BYoesle]
      #6197160 - 11/15/13 08:42 PM

So, when is "first light" in the new observatory????

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

#6197205 - 11/15/13 09:06 PM Attachment (21 downloads)

Well,Another day has come and gone.
Because I had to run into town twice today,I got little done.
Although the one thing I was able to accomplish was deciding what style of heater I am going to use.
I made the decision to set it up to run off of propane.
The cost of running a gas line out to the OBS was way more than what I was willing to pay right now.

My neighbor let me know he has a number of propane tanks,the older style, that could not be used for their grill any longer.
He also had a couple of 100 lb tanks that he had no use for any longer and said I could have them all for my time showing him different objects in the sky thru my scopes.

Of course I accepted his offer as the 100 lb tanks alone would cost $100.00 used. The smaller tanks have fuel in them,I offered to give him something for them and he declined my offer and said they were mine if I wanted them.

As I said,I had gone into town.It was to get the heater. I chose one that could be used for either propane or natural gas.That way in the future if and when I installed a gas line from the house to the OBS,I would be able to use the same appliance.

I just happen to find the 10,000 btu unit at Northern Tool and Equipment, in Sioux Falls, for a very reasonable $119.00.
It has a full thermostat that allows you to set the heat to any desired temperature.
This is exactly what I wanted so that when I am not out there ,it can be set to about 40 degrees F.
That way I won't have to worry about my computer giving me trouble since I want to leave it out there.
Also will not cause a problem with moisture building up when I first go in and turn up the heat,because of the cold.

So now,the heater is installed and I am feeling comfortable enough to place everything in the OBS that I want in it.

Here is a pic of what it looks like.
Thanks for looking.

Edited by tim57064 (11/15/13 09:35 PM)

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. new [Re: BYoesle]
      #6197233 - 11/15/13 09:24 PM

Thanks for your reply Bob,Everything is coming along nicely now and that it won't be long to where I will feel comfortable enough to install my scopes and everything else.

Steve,It seems as though it has taken forever to get to the point where no saw dust will accumulate.Yet I am at that point now except for the trim work. If the weather permits,not tonight,as clouds are always around, I am hoping that first light will be around the new moon.
I would like to get my desk top computer out there and what ever software I plan to use set up and get to figuring out how I will run the scopes and camera from my woodworking shop. Hopefully with everything hardwired,should be much easier than wifi or bluetooth. Have not figured it all out yet.

I do have a program called splashtop to where I can run things that are on the desktop from my laptop. That is a cool software program,I like it a lot.
I guess this is all for tonight.
Tomorrow,I have to secure the 100lb propane tank a little better than how I have it right now.
Now,Naming my OBS,is at the top of my list.

Edited by tim57064 (11/15/13 09:49 PM)

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

#6202631 - 11/18/13 09:51 PM Attachment (23 downloads)

It Has been a few days since I posted anything,mainly because what I had gotten accomplished wasn't that interesting.
First off,I was working on sealing up the west side of the OBS ,where the roof makes contact with the walls.
What I had chosen for this was causing too much trouble with binding.The garage door bottom rubber was not working in that area, so I chose to use what is normally used on the outside of the garage door jam.
This material is much more pliable and not as susceptible to cold. I wish I had used it first as it works great for this area.

Edited by tim57064 (11/18/13 09:53 PM)

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

#6202697 - 11/18/13 10:22 PM Attachment (23 downloads)

What else have I been up to? Well I made the jump to getting the scopes put in their respective places in the OBS.
My 10"LX200 is on the pier and the other 2 ,Nexstar 8SE and the CR150 HD6" Refractor are on their shelves with the mounting bolts in place.
So I have been trying to get everything put in it's place.

I temporarily installed the red rope lights to see what they would look like without the screening of some kind.
Also I got the window jamb in place with the mini blind installed .
Gotta ask the wife if she will make a curtain to aid in darkening it a little more though.

Oh and also installed my 42" LCD 120 hz hd set with the full motion mount. No Man Cave should be without the HD TV.
I had temporarily put a shelf under the TV because I had not fully tightened the bolts that keep it from tilting forward.

I also left the base on because the grandkids come over often to spend the night and like to watch their movies.
My wife goes a little nuts when she has to watch them over and over again with the kids, so I put the TV in the spare bedroom for the kids to watch in there.

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

#6202709 - 11/18/13 10:28 PM Attachment (20 downloads)

Here is another shot different angle. Oh, and in this shot you can see that the concrete pier has been covered with a Octagon made out of 3/4" plywwood.

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

#6202716 - 11/18/13 10:30 PM Attachment (17 downloads)

Another shot showing the now covered concrete pier with Octagonnaly cut 3/4"plywood of which will be stained this coming spring.

Edited by tim57064 (11/18/13 10:46 PM)

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

#6202726 - 11/18/13 10:34 PM Attachment (19 downloads)

Here is a shot different angle of the desk area.With a new addition just above.Again the TV is attached to a full motion mount yet I had not tightened up the bolts that keep it from tilting forward. That is why the temporary shelf is there.

Edited by tim57064 (11/18/13 10:42 PM)

seryddwr
Innocent Bystander

Reged: 02/19/10

Loc: La-la land.
      #6202899 - 11/19/13 12:50 AM

Excellent! It looks very nice, indeed.

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortl...
Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. new [Re: seryddwr]
      #6203089 - 11/19/13 07:07 AM

It's coming together! Love the octagonal plywood pier cover! Looks a lot nicer than rough concrete.

-Dan

MHamburg
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/21/06

Loc: Brooklyn, NY/Berkshires, MA
Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. new [Re: Midnight Dan]
      #6203308 - 11/19/13 09:35 AM

Quote:

It's coming together! Love the octagonal plywood pier cover! Looks a lot nicer than rough concrete.

-Dan

Ditto! Michael

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. new [Re: Midnight Dan]
      #6203372 - 11/19/13 10:06 AM

Just one additional thing here.
I had let my wife know that I wanted to place the HD set into thew OBS when I was burying the cable.At that time she said nothing about it.
Now,I did not have to buy the set because we had one that had quit working after 16 months and all I had to pay was the fee for labor, for installation of the new screen.
Even though I had not purchased an extended warranty,LG sent a new one for free.
So,do you think that the HD TV is too much,over the top?
I am going to be spending quite a bit of time in the OBS and like to be able to watch the news and programs related to astronomy and what ever else may peak my interest..
I would have purchased a smaller set for in there yet why when we already had one?

Yesterday, She asked when I plan to start using the OBS.
I explained to her that not only do the clouds need to disappear, yet for me,there needs to be a New Moon as I like to do Deep Sky Object viewing/imaging,not the Moon when it is nearly full.
The other thing is the upgrades to the LX200 Classic mount have yet to be done.Waiting for the new capacitors to arrive and replace before powering up this time. That will be my main scope.

Edited by tim57064 (11/19/13 10:17 AM)

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

#6203404 - 11/19/13 10:19 AM

Thank You Greg, Dan and Michael. Glad you all like what I have done so far.All the wood will look much better when it is stained and varnished.

I really enjoy being out there now.
Before,everything was in the basement ,what do they say?Out of sight,out of mind?
The scopes though were never out of my mind,always wanted to have them in the living room for decoration yet the wife would never allow it,understandably so. No scopes where they can be seen by her except when I am using them.

Edited by tim57064 (11/19/13 10:21 AM)

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
      #6203447 - 11/19/13 10:41 AM

Tim, when you have a HD set literally for "free"; why not utilize it in your observatory? I think it looks great!

The pier is awesome! As is the desk; wish I had the capability to build something anywhere near that beautiful!

Following your build is very exciting and interesting!

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortl...
Re: In the process of Building my Observatory. new [Re: csa/montana]
      #6204095 - 11/19/13 04:14 PM

Quote:

I would have purchased a smaller set for in there yet why when we already had one?

Makes perfect sense to me. I too would have gone for something a bit smaller, but would not buy a new one when you already had one.

-Dan

Pages: << 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | (show all)

Extra information
7 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Christopher Erickson, Joe C, Mr Greybush 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 16255

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics