Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: 1
omcbman

Reged: 10/23/13

Loc: Kentucky,Usa
first light for my 8se new
      #6187834 - 11/11/13 12:09 AM

Well i got first light for my 8se tonight waited till about 1030 this evening for jupiter to make an appearance i guess seeing conditions werent that good i could see 3 moons and 2 rusty colored bands i was expecting a little more from this 8 inch scope i was using a celestron 32mm ep maybe the backgroung moonlight had alot to do with my viewing tonight i just expected to see more detail in the planet.i used to have a 3.1 inch refractor by meade and jupiter looked the same to me in it as it did in the 8se.hopefully ill have some better views in the future.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
AcesDJD

Reged: 10/06/13

Re: first light for my 8se new [Re: omcbman]
      #6187859 - 11/11/13 12:34 AM

Well be happy all I've seen in my 925 is trees, and I spent a pretty penny on it. Wishing I went for one of those little dept store scopes right now...

UncleMossy

Reged: 02/08/12

Loc: Downtown Toronto
      #6187862 - 11/11/13 12:40 AM

Don't get discouraged.
Jupiter would be quite low at that time and a 32mm is pretty low magnification.
If you wait until it's higher in the sky and use something like a 15mm I think you'll be amazed.

Cheers
Jim

omcbman

Reged: 10/23/13

Loc: Kentucky,Usa
Re: first light for my 8se new [Re: UncleMossy]
      #6187865 - 11/11/13 12:45 AM

yeah i think your right it was was just coming up from the horizon.any idea how saturn will look with good seeing conditions and thanks for your feedback mossy

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortl...
      #6188068 - 11/11/13 07:06 AM

Hi omcbman:

What you describe is actually fairly common for a view in an 8" scope, or any scope really ... due to seeing. Eeeking out detail on a planet is fairly challenging and requires everything to be lined up in your favor. Most nights, the seeing will not allow you to see much detail on Jupiter. You have to keep trying on multiple nights to find a time when details appear. And even then, they are subtle and take time to tease out. Seeing actually changes from minute to minute so on many nights you'll get brief moments of clarity every so often.

Another factor is magnification. As Jim says, your 32mm is very low magnification for this scope. You want to use the most magnification that the night's seeing will support. On most nights that will be around 150-200x. Some nights you can get to 250-300x, and on very rare nights, maybe 2-3 nights a year, you'll be able to use the scope's 400x maximum.

To get the sharpest views, you also need to be sure your scope is fully acclimated to the temperatures around you. That usually means that the scope has been sitting outside for at least an hour before use.

And finally, collimation has to be spot on to get the best hi-mag views.

-Dan

Schaden
sage

Reged: 06/30/08

Loc: Sonoran Desert
      #6189333 - 11/11/13 07:57 PM

Quote:

any idea how saturn will look with good seeing conditions

On several excellent nights last spring, I viewed Saturn at 360x power in my Nexstar 8. I had one night around opposition that had to be Pickering 10. I could plainly see Encke's Division and Minima in the A ring, as well as another Minima like contrast feature within the B ring, past the inside of Cassini's Division. The image was tack sharp.

On the disc of the planet itself, I could see at least 5 or 6 bands, all had subtle differences in color. It was an incredible experience. There is a huge difference in how Saturn looks going from below average conditions, to a very good night, to one with superb conditions.

The same thing applies to Jupiter. When I got the scope last year, I had the dreaded bad weather curse. For weeks on end, the only view of Jupiter I got was a big fuzzy white ball, sometimes with no moons or bands visible at all.

In the past month, I've been waking up early in the morning to observe Jupiter. I caught a great red spot transit at 180x. At 4am, it's about 70-80 degrees overhead. Last Saturday, I watched it for an hour before sunrise. With a 20mm ep at 100x power, I saw 6 bands. All very distinct. The 2 largest equatorial bands had finely mottled edges. Io's shadow was transiting, that appeared as a black spot crossing the planet. The contrast of the blue dawn sky against the planet helped me get new glimpses of details within the north polar region. But I don't think I've come close to seeing Jupiter as well as my scope can present it.

I haven't had a good view of Mars in this scope yet, but I remember about 10 years ago, Arizona State University was having a public outreach event, and I got to look at Mars through a C8 around the time of one of its better oppositions, and I could see Syrtis Major and the ice caps at the poles.

Given the right conditions, a C8 can show a lot of planetary detail. But besides the sky, make sure the scope is temperature acclimated. That can take mine an hour or two depending.

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: first light for my 8se new [Re: Schaden]
      #6189511 - 11/11/13 09:30 PM

Wow - hold off on judgement of the 8 versus the 80mm!

First off an 8" SCT with a 10mm ocular will produce a view of Jupiter no 80mm can pull off even close . The fact is the ocular you used is a nice low power finder eyepiece but its a pittance for anything beyond that on Jupiter. Typically Jupiter in that scope starts to show well with a 15mm ocular, 12 is better still and as mentioned 10 is superb. On particularly steady sharp focus nights an 8mm providing 250x is perfect. Your scope was idling with the low power you operated it at.

Next is the seeing. I will agree a bad or poor night if seeing where the I age is boiling or won't focus sharp - it may indeed look similar to an 80mm image. My 8" reflector on a night if 4 Pickering is reminiscent of my 70mm view and its depressing!!!! But let me tell you on the better nights that little refractor can't come near it. Its flat out left behind and on its own. On a great night the detail can be staggering through an 8". I can say Ive ever had that through a small refractor on Jupiter.

It sounds seriously like you had two strikes against you:

Excessively low magnification and poor seeing -possibly exacerbated by the low altitude of Jupiter.

Trust me on this. You let that 8" stretch its legs and you'll be regarding your refractor as a neat finder scope.

And I haven't even touched on how much more vivid color is in the 8".

Pete

UncleMossy

Reged: 02/08/12

Loc: Downtown Toronto
Re: first light for my 8se new [Re: Schaden]
      #6189543 - 11/11/13 09:49 PM

Another thing to consider.
The difference between a 3" and an 8" won't be as much on bright objects like Jupiter and the Moon.
Where you will notice the biggest difference is with the dimmer objects.
You have a much greater light gathering capacity now which means more faint fuzzies, more stars in clusters and better nebula views.
Try The Orion nebula with the 32mm and I think you'll understand what I mean.

Saturn will look amazing (when it comes back), cloud bands, ring shadows, moons and divisions will all be clearly visible.
But don't get hung up on the planets, you now have a much larger scope and there's lots to see out there.

And, as has already been stated, you must wait for it to cool down.

Jim

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: first light for my 8se new [Re: azure1961p]
      #6189555 - 11/11/13 09:55 PM

Saturn by the way will show a much more distinct Cassinis division as well as the inner Crepe ring. Titan in the best of all oughta resolves as a true disc and the surface details though still difficult show with more distinction than the best 80mm in the world. There is an etched 3D quality an 8" can show on the better nights . Rarely but still true enough disturbances in belts will show through tis aperture as well. The five brighter moons will show as well.

A nice night with 250x (8mm) is a very impressive unforgettable thing.

Pete

BigC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/29/10

Loc: SE Indiana
Re: first light for my 8se [Re: omcbman]
      #6194764 - 11/14/13 02:59 PM

A good 5 or 6mm long eye relief planetary eyepiece in your 8SEwill show you a lot better Jupiter if you let it get well above the horizon.Even the MA eyepieces in 10mm to 25mm from Celestron or Meade or ? will bring things closer.You probably want a barlow as well. Be prepared to spend from $99 for Celestron eyepiece accessory set to "sky is the limnit" depending on your finances and prferences.

Pages: 1

Extra information
7 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, Mitchell Duke, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 463

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics