Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Reflectors

Pages: 1
Tank
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/27/09

Loc: Stoney Creek, Ontario, CANADA
Restoration Something old & something new new
      #6158504 - 10/26/13 12:39 AM Attachment (43 downloads)

I picked up a Edmund 6" F8 scope which needed a new home and from readings on the web i heard that some of these have great mirrors in them so i said to myself lets pick up the old girl for $125
It was a heck of a deal i didnt bother looking at the optics to see if they were good or not.
Came home and looked at the primary and you really couldnt see the mirror there was a layer of dust!
But when i carefully cleaned it up it was in excellet shape and the dust was preserving the mirror
Ok so now to the secondary and well had alot of coating failure on it so i thought it would perform just ok!
Brought her out and made sure the collimation was on and had a peek
WOW everything looked really really sharp
went over to the moon and WOW again looked way better then i was expecting and had a sharpness/pop qualitly to the image that only APOs have!
hmmm it got my attention so did some star test and comparos with other scope and really really liked what i saw from the old girl 300x in and out seem to be the same
SO
decided to invest a bit and do a mini restore
-Rings added to mount on the EQ6
-Secondary Antares 1/10th mirror upgrade
-JMI Focuser 1.25"
-Homemade special dew shield

Now she is about ready to play
Thinking of also flocking and also noticed the primary mirror clips are large might want to shave them down
Also any other upgrades that one might suggest are welcome
Really enjoyed fixing her up and now im over the views i get
Here are some of the pics, the one night i had here out

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tank
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Restoration Something old & something new new [Re: Tank]
      #6158506 - 10/26/13 12:40 AM Attachment (30 downloads)

Edited by Tank (10/26/13 12:40 AM)

Tank
Carpal Tunnel

#6158509 - 10/26/13 12:41 AM Attachment (24 downloads)

Tank
Carpal Tunnel

#6158510 - 10/26/13 12:41 AM Attachment (18 downloads)

Tank
Carpal Tunnel

#6158511 - 10/26/13 12:42 AM Attachment (16 downloads)

Tank
Carpal Tunnel

#6158520 - 10/26/13 12:46 AM Attachment (22 downloads)

Here is the supossedly new seconday i recieved
What do you guys thing i bought new from a dealer and there are two blemishes. One looks like they marked the center spot but the other one is off to the side!

Tank
Carpal Tunnel

#6175415 - 11/04/13 01:03 PM

After viewing thru the Edmund now a few outings
all im going to say is WOW
These were rumored to have great mirrors in them and by checking the in and out focus I can say this one has a spectacular mirror in it.
What a joy to use so far and I must say this scope has definitely provided APO like views!
I think combined with a small CO and with a great figured mirror this scope shines!
Can't wait to get more use with it!
Any one else have a great Edmund?

Project Galileo
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/14/07

Loc: Jefferson County, Colorado
      #6175984 - 11/04/13 06:03 PM

Congrats on your find! Enjoy.

john gabriel
sage

Reged: 12/13/11

Loc: Southern California
Re: Restoration Something old & something new new [Re: Project Galileo]
      #6176696 - 11/05/13 01:26 AM

Nice job, Tank! Is that the JMI "mini" or a 2-inch focuser? I've got the same scope here, and the focuser is high on my list of upgrades.

The rings are essential! What maker did you find to fit the tube?

Lastly, did you mount your new 2ndary to the single stalk? I did not like that thing very much and made myself a 3-vane "shorty" holder to fit into mine (not much space up ahead of the focuser on these), but just haven't had the time to finish mounting it into the OTA.

I do agree that some of these old Edmund 6" F8 mirrors (by UPCO) seem to be pretty good. Thanks!
John

Tank
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Restoration Something old & something new new [Re: john gabriel]
      #6177243 - 11/05/13 11:54 AM

Thanks Project Galileo

John
yes that's a JMI Mini which is a huge upgrade from the original one the only issue is that it does not have a secondary holder so I had to drill a hole in its base and for now I hot glued the secondary in the proper place (Temp. solution will work on something else)

The rings I ended up with Orion 182mm
They are just a bit too large for the tube but I bought some felt and some double sided tape and fills the gap nicely
Was thinking rotating rings but they are expensive!

Still kept the single stock less CO and scatter to worry about

The mirror is outstanding I cant believe its as good as it is unreal to tell you the truth!

john gabriel
sage

#6180831 - 11/07/13 11:35 AM

Tank, I am cheered to hear another praise of the UPCO 6" f8! They apparently had some that were ho-hum, but quite a few get high praise. My local club has some fellows that have the equipment for testing, and I will eventually get mine tested.

You've convinced me to quit messing around with other options and just get the JMI mini. I might have to cut the base down a bit, because my light shield comes right up to the original focuser.

Thanks for your input and pics!
John

john gabriel
sage

#6184826 - 11/09/13 02:48 PM Attachment (5 downloads)

Hey Tony, I forgot to ask: when fitting the JMI focuser, did you have to cut extra metal out of the edmund OTA for the draw-tube?

Also, were you able to keep the same 2ndary distance from primary, or did you end up moving that a bit?

Just wanted to know from your experience a little of what problems I might expect. These old Edmund 6" scopes have verrryy little extra tube length in front of the focuser, as you know - I'm currently using nearly all of that to support my light shield (see pic).

Any observations you'd care to make about fitting the JMI would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
John

Tank
Carpal Tunnel

#6186092 - 11/10/13 08:41 AM Attachment (3 downloads)

John
The base of the JMI mini did not really bother with my dew shield i have about 1" still for the dew shield to hang off of.

For the draw tube i did have to shave off a bit i would say 3/8". I used a file. This would only be on one side.

The secondary remains in the exact same location there was no need to move it up/down if you want more meat for the dew shield you may have to adjust but i wanted in exact spot so i dont play with the optics/light cone

The focuser i find is a very nice upgrade to my original Edmund. One major thing is its LOW profile so all my EPs come to focus easily with the original half my Eps didnt come to focus more infocus required.

few other notes
the focuser is mounted oposite from how yours is mounted now, so side to side the focuser knobs are, yours/my old one ran along with the tube

The secondary well its in the perfect position now but i hot glued it from both sides. I use a cheshire and while the glue was hot still i held the secondary in the proper place until it was dry. This was a bit of a challenge but if you know what your doing not so bad.
I want to get it done properlly but not sure how to?
There are electrical marr conetors that might work they have a thread and another screw to tighten the secondary mirror shaft. I may try this on a another piece of steel before i mess up the JMI base to see how it works.
Let me know if you have any other questions

john gabriel
sage

#6186520 - 11/10/13 12:40 PM

Your input is greatly appreciated Tony. I've made a 3-vane, very short holder mounted with a high quality 1.3" 2ndary mirror from Antares.

I can see your issue with getting a permanent / adjustable(?) set screw on the OTA for the single stalk holder. The hot glue was a good idea, and I appreciated that it was adjustable, even as it cooled. If I have a creative moment on that, I will let you know.

I'm having similar issues with the forward edge of the JMI mounting plate. I will probably cut it off almost flush with the draw-tube and drill new mounting holes into it. My 3-vane spider screws will be very small, countersunk heads, so as to allow the light shield to slip over them. But I don't want any excess focuser plate to interfere with how far back the shield will slip.

john gabriel
sage

#6187041 - 11/10/13 04:35 PM

I'm not familiar with the electrical "marr" connector, but seems that would be OK with solder. Could you put a hole in the JMI base and solder the connector to the base (in or over the hole)?

Tank
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Restoration Something old & something new [Re: john gabriel]
      #6194797 - 11/14/13 03:21 PM

John
No problem

You scope looks very nice
If I keep getting these great views I think im going to treat it to one of these
Parallex Rotating rings
http://www.parallaxinstruments.com/ringprice.html#ringprice2

The Marr I would actually drill and tap into the focuser base then have the stock single secondary holder go thru and I will have the set screw to adjust the height!

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Phillip Creed, JayinUT, okieav8r 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 762

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics