Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
GTog

Reged: 10/11/13

This red dot thing has to go...
      #6194806 - 11/14/13 03:28 PM

The red dot finder that came with my 6SE never did point exactly right, and the adjustment knobs couldn't adjust it enough. Plus now the thing's dying.

So what to replace it with? Doesn't have to be another red dot. Something with crosshairs would be nice.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Arctic_Eddie
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/30/07

Loc: St. Petersburg, FL
Re: This red dot thing has to go... new [Re: GTog]
      #6194838 - 11/14/13 03:48 PM

Most RDF devices that come with Celestron scopes need a shim under the back edge to align properly. Two layers of heavy paper worked OK on mine.

A better choice is a RACI finder. It mounts in place of the RDF using the same holes. Agena Astro has a nice one in the GSO brand.

ourobouros2k2
sage

Reged: 11/10/11

Loc: okc area, oklahoma
Re: This red dot thing has to go... new [Re: Arctic_Eddie]
      #6195021 - 11/14/13 05:13 PM

hard to beat a Telrad. Love mine.

dpippel
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/05/13

Loc: Desierto de Sonora
Re: This red dot thing has to go... new [Re: ourobouros2k2]
      #6195183 - 11/14/13 06:36 PM

Personally I think that for a 6SE a red dot finder is perfect, as long as it works. With the NexStar mount an optical finder isn't really needed IMO.

The Telrad is a great device. It's one drawback is bulk, which is compounded when mounted on a small OTA like the C6. I've been looking at RDF alternatives and am considering this guy:

http://agenaastro.com/agena-multi-reticle-reflex-finder-with-m5-base.html

TmaninTn
sage

Reged: 12/19/10

Loc: Nashville, TN USA
Re: This red dot thing has to go... new [Re: dpippel]
      #6195367 - 11/14/13 07:56 PM

Green Laser Pointer is the way to go. I can't understand why anyone uses anything else, unless you are near an airport or something. Once you get it aligned you only need to look up.

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/24/10

Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollut...
Re: This red dot thing has to go... new [Re: TmaninTn]
      #6195550 - 11/14/13 09:31 PM

Quote:

Green Laser Pointer is the way to go. I can't understand why anyone uses anything else, unless you are near an airport or something. Once you get it aligned you only need to look up.

I would love to use one but I'm between two of the busiest airports and always hear reports of cockpits being illuminated by laser pointers.

BigC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/29/10

Loc: SE Indiana
Re: This red dot thing has to go... new [Re: TmaninTn]
      #6195706 - 11/14/13 11:19 PM

Living right under a main flight path I choose not to use laser pointer;saw at least 5 aircraft during hour of observation past morning from 5 to 6 a.m. ,and they were all over the compass.

Telrad or bullseye style finders are muchyless likely to cause trouble.

Bullseye finders also don't obscure the object.Simple red dot finders usually dim the view too much for my liking.

A Telrad and an optical finder of at least 6x30(preferably bigger) make a very effective tool:the Telrad to get in the neighborhood,th optical finder to get close and the main scope to view the object.

Really,considering how many thousand flights occur daily over just the U.S. including general aviation and medivac helicopters ,shining lasers into the sky should be done very cautiously.

jhirsch
sage

Reged: 10/06/10

Loc: Ohio
Re: This red dot thing has to go... new [Re: BigC]
      #6195969 - 11/15/13 05:43 AM

Another vote for the Telrad.

jeffpkamp
sage

Reged: 01/11/13

Re: This red dot thing has to go... new [Re: jhirsch]
      #6204423 - 11/19/13 07:03 PM

lol, I made green laser pointer mount for mine. Problem is that when its cold out, the normal AAA's can't put out the juice to power it, thus I now run it off of a car battery (with some extra wiring). Makes like super easy, no bending over upside down to look through the scope, Just look up.

That being said I do live near an airport, and I have yet to have cops come visit me for using my telescope .

panhardModerator
It's All Good

Reged: 01/20/08

Loc: Markham Ontario Canada
Re: This red dot thing has to go... new [Re: jeffpkamp]
      #6204696 - 11/19/13 09:30 PM

The darker the skies the more useful the Telrad is.

hamdul
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/23/09

Loc: Litchfield NH, USA
Re: This red dot thing has to go... new [Re: panhard]
      #6204853 - 11/19/13 10:58 PM

This is a very personal opinion BUT (Isn't there always a BUT) from where I stand the red dot finer on the SE series are as useless as a wart. Most people rave about red dot finders but from my experience with the one I had I was very gun shy to get another. For years I had nothing but straight thru optical scopes and loved them but on the 8SE I found it almost impossible to use when pointing at Zenith, so I got a Right angle scope. A little harder to use but a thousand time better than a RDF.

berobertsmd

Reged: 09/28/09

Loc: Brandon, Mississippi
Re: This red dot thing has to go... new [Re: hamdul]
      #6206427 - 11/20/13 08:32 PM

I have found several of the Telrad's features to be very useful. 1)The variable intensity allows you to adjust targeting rings for fainter objects. 2)I added the pulse module, so the targeting rings can also vary from continuous "on" to slow "pulse" which again helps with targeting. 3) I live in a dew prone area. I added the optional dew cover, which attaches with two screws already on the back of the Telrad. This cover can be left on all the time, swings into place when needed, and also serves to protect the sight reticle. There are "dew heaters" available for the Telrad, but a simple disposable hand warmer attached with a rubber band to the side of the Telrad will usually take care of any dew problems, with or without the dew cover. 5) There are a 2" and 4" riser available to raise the Telrad above the OTA allowing easier use of the unit for targets higher in elevation. I use the 2" riser with my NexStar 8SE. Battery life (2 X AA) is great as long as you remember to turn unit off at end of observing session.

Sorny
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/15/12

Loc: Southern MN
Re: This red dot thing has to go... new [Re: berobertsmd]
      #6206452 - 11/20/13 08:56 PM

Why would one use a finder on an SE scope after alignment? Why would one attempt to align something at zenith on an alt-az mount?

I use the red-dot for about 5 minutes a session and turn it off.

I've got a StarSense now, but that'll be permanently hooked up to the CPC, and the trusty red-dot will stay on the NexStar SE.

core
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/23/08

Loc: Mostly in Norman, OK
Re: This red dot thing has to go... new [Re: Sorny]
      #6206740 - 11/20/13 11:55 PM

Quote:

Why would one use a finder on an SE scope after alignment? Why would one attempt to align something at zenith on an alt-az mount?

+1

When I got a 6SE a couple of years ago, first thing I thought was how useless the RDF was, and sold it within a week. I tried a Telrad and Rigel I had on hand, and finally got a dedicated Astro-Tech RDF when I finally came to my senses that all I ever used it for (on the SE mount) was to do the initial alignment, which was never near the zenith (bad for alt-az). In hindsight the original RDF would have chugged along nicely for its intended purpose. The one thing I do like about the AT (and similar) unit is that it holds alignment well even after repeated mount/dismount, and it does look 'better'.

berobertsmd

Reged: 09/28/09

Loc: Brandon, Mississippi
      #6206771 - 11/21/13 12:19 AM

I'm left eye dominant and find the Celestron red-dot finder difficult to visualize. I wonder if any other "sinister eyed" observers have noticed the same.
I use my view finder the entire session. I do my initial alignment, then will update ALIGN or SYNC episodically for better alignment.

dpippel
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/05/13

Loc: Desierto de Sonora
      #6207170 - 11/21/13 09:18 AM

Quote:

Yep.

jturie

Reged: 11/19/12

Loc: Valley Forge, PA
      #6207243 - 11/21/13 10:10 AM

Agree with the "5 minute" crowd. I just had the worst time getting the RDF aligned, so I hit my local dealer's used equipment table and snagged a cheap Rigel Quickfinder.

Still, 5 minutes and off...until I kick the dang mount in the dark and have to do it all over again.

hamdul
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/23/09

Loc: Litchfield NH, USA
      #6207245 - 11/21/13 10:11 AM

An addendum.....I never use a star at zenith for alignment, and maybe I should have said NEAR zenith..I'm talking about using a Go To search near zenith (Say 75=degrees) As you all know that's difficult to accomplish accurately so when I look thru the scope and the object is not there I like to use the finder to see where I'm at so I can nudge the scope to the target. If there are no bright star in the area I find the RDF useless for that purpose. I'll take a RA optical any day

Fred

Fred Garvin

Reged: 09/08/13

Loc: DFW Metroplex
Re: This red dot thing has to go... new [Re: hamdul]
      #6207349 - 11/21/13 11:14 AM

The RDF on my 8SE would not align...nowhere near close. I couldn't even see the red dot unless the unit was cranked full over to both stops.

Took the OTA back to the scope store. They looked at it, took off the RDF and messed with it in the shop. Told me it was most certainly messed up and they would send it back to Celestron. They took a brand new one from another scope, installed it on mine, and sighted it in.

Works perfectly! Really easy to use and puts alignment stars nearly centered in a 25mm EP. Once the scope is aligned, the RDF is off. Another 5 minute user here.

hawk
sage

Reged: 03/12/13

Re: This red dot thing has to go... new [Re: berobertsmd]
      #6208359 - 11/21/13 08:57 PM

I'm left-eye dominant as well. You're right, I guess it would probably have been a little more convenient on the other side. That said, I never really thought about it too much; having to stoop over a bit to see through would happen even if it were on the other side, and that's the part I find more annoying. I'm another 5-minute user, though, so I'm not too bothered with it.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
8 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1634

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics