Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | (show all)
Pinbout
Postmaster

Reged: 02/22/10

Loc: nj
Re: iOptron CEM60, not a rumor anymore. new [Re: EFT]
      #6307813 - 01/12/14 10:27 AM

I'd prefer a new mount without a tripod. I have enough. I just wish it was easier to switch between imperial and metric threads for the center bolt.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
dvb
different Syndrome.

Reged: 06/18/05

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
Re: iOptron CEM60, not a rumor anymore. new [Re: Pinbout]
      #6308846 - 01/12/14 06:34 PM

This, then, raises the question: What will be the alternative tripod choices for the CEM60?

Perhaps some of the after-market tripods for Astrophysics or Losmandy?

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: iOptron CEM60, not a rumor anymore. new [Re: dvb]
      #6309117 - 01/12/14 09:21 PM

Quote:

This, then, raises the question: What will be the alternative tripod choices for the CEM60?

Perhaps some of the after-market tripods for Astrophysics or Losmandy?

There are several excellent aftermarket tripod and pier makers out there. The two companies you quote are mount makers, not tripod makers (but one of them uses tripods from at least two different tripod and pier manufacturers). If the iEQ45 has the same base as the 60, then there are already tripods available. If not, then I'm sure there will be once the mounts are available and the mount base specs are known.

dvb
different Syndrome.

Re: iOptron CEM60, not a rumor anymore. new [Re: EFT]
      #6309204 - 01/12/14 10:07 PM

Yes, I was referring to after-market tripods made for owners of AP and Losmandy mounts.

orlyandico
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/10/09

Loc: Singapore
      #6309247 - 01/12/14 10:24 PM

I'd dearly love to have other options for premium tripods.

Rob Miller's offerings were fantastic while they lasted - perhaps too good to be true.

The Bisque portable pier is gorgeous but eye-poppingly expensive. Ditto for the PWT Monolith which can't be bought anyway. The ATS piers cost as much as the AP Eagle (which is still too rich for my blood).

What other options are there.. the Berlebach Planet is one (and my leading contender at this time).

psandelle
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/18/08

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: iOptron CEM60, not a rumor anymore. new [Re: orlyandico]
      #6309364 - 01/12/14 11:32 PM

orly - I've been using the Binoscope Company tripod and really like it.

Paul

orlyandico
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/10/09

Loc: Singapore
Re: iOptron CEM60, not a rumor anymore. new [Re: psandelle]
      #6309381 - 01/12/14 11:51 PM

It's rather heavy.

I'm wondering if the Cartoni A302 will work. Its supposedly 110lb rated and only weighs 6lb.

I was shocked to discover how expensive pro video tripods are. There literally are $10k tripods in that market.

dvb
different Syndrome.

Re: iOptron CEM60, not a rumor anymore. new [Re: orlyandico]
      #6310353 - 01/13/14 01:59 PM

It was the Rob Miller tripod I was thinking of, but I see he is no longer in business.

Other names would be Berlebach, Avalon, and ATS. (As another CN'r has been kind enough to remind me.)

Hilmi
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/07/10

Loc: Muscat, Sultanate of Oman
      #6310588 - 01/13/14 04:16 PM

If you dont mind the weight the Losmandy folding HD tripod is great, just too heavy to be a grab and go.

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/19/11

Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA
Re: iOptron CEM60, not a rumor anymore. new [Re: Hilmi]
      #6310727 - 01/13/14 05:26 PM

I know they don't qualify as "premium" solutions but the $250 tripod or $400 pier from iOptron would be good light weight options for the CEM60. If I were in the market, I think offering the mount without a tripod is a good way to go.

cuivienor
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/07/10

Loc: Tokyo, Japan
Re: iOptron CEM60, not a rumor anymore. new [Re: Mkofski]
      #6311564 - 01/14/14 01:39 AM

For information, I have bought several mounts from iOptron (SmartEq Pro, CubePro, and ZEQ25). Each time I asked for a quote without the tripod, and each time they gave me a lower price, which I took - I never once touched an iOptron tripod.

iOptron is one of the most accommodating vendors out there, they will sell their mounts without tripods (or even controller if you don't need a new one) at a small but appreciated discount.

Cheers,

Yannick

Tony~M

Reged: 09/24/07

#6313321 - 01/14/14 10:11 PM

Hello,

Hope you are well.

Quote:

BTW, I cited the OPT price only because I couldn't find the CEM60 on the Astronomics site - Odd, given that our esteemed website sponsor is a listed iOptron dealer, and OPT isn't.

This is not correct. OPT is listed as a Premier dealer for iOptron. Listed here on iOptron's website.

Later,
Tony

epdreher
sage

Reged: 06/12/11

Loc: Republic of Texas
Re: iOptron CEM60, not a rumor anymore. new [Re: Tony~M]
      #6313390 - 01/14/14 11:05 PM

Indeed. They have at least two iOptron mounts on their display floor.

In my experience, OPT customer service is second to none. Searching this forum, one can find my story about two Celestron CGEM mounts. The first was a disaster, with the second just not working out either.

I purchased the first in August and exchanged it at no cost to me a few months later. OPT didn't charge me a dime for that second mount.

After I had different, additional issues with the second, I approached OPT to trade-in my second CGEM for my current mount which is an Orion AZ/EQ-G. I figured I would take a hit on the trade-in but just couldn't deal with the frustration any longer.

To my surprise, they only charged me a 10% restocking fee on my CGEM. Minus that amount and plus the funds from a few CGEM-related items I sold them, I walked out with my Orion mount for a little over $700.

Mind you I'm a long-time customer so I couldn't guaranty that everyone would receive this kind of service, but OPT has a customer for life on my part as they back-up their products beyond the norm.

Sorry for the thread hijack, but I wanted to relay the story to remove any doubts someone may have about purchasing an iOptron or any other product from OPT.

Wmacky
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/24/07

Loc: Florida
Re: iOptron CEM60, not a rumor anymore. new [Re: epdreher]
      #6313464 - 01/14/14 11:54 PM

Quote:

Indeed. They have at least two iOptron mounts on their display floor.

In my experience, OPT customer service is second to none. Searching this forum, one can find my story about two Celestron CGEM mounts. The first was a disaster, with the second just not working out either.

I purchased the first in August and exchanged it at no cost to me a few months later. OPT didn't charge me a dime for that second mount.

After I had different, additional issues with the second, I approached OPT to trade-in my second CGEM for my current mount which is an Orion AZ/EQ-G. I figured I would take a hit on the trade-in but just couldn't deal with the frustration any longer.

To my surprise, they only charged me a 10% restocking fee on my CGEM. Minus that amount and plus the funds from a few CGEM-related items I sold them, I walked out with my Orion mount for a little over $700.

Mind you I'm a long-time customer so I couldn't guaranty that everyone would receive this kind of service, but OPT has a customer for life on my part as they back-up their products beyond the norm.

Sorry for the thread hijack, but I wanted to relay the story to remove any doubts someone may have about purchasing an iOptron or any other product from OPT.

That is good service. I purchased my mount from one of the major retailers, and had a huge issue with my mount 2 weeks past my 30 days. I wanted an exchange but, I was more or less told to pack sand, and deal with Celestron. I'll try OPT for the next big purchase.

Edited by Wmacky (01/14/14 11:55 PM)

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
Re: iOptron CEM60, not a rumor anymore. new [Re: Wmacky]
      #6314813 - 01/15/14 04:04 PM

I buy a lot of stuff from Opt. I usually deal with Larry. However I will also mention that I really enjoy dealing with Farah at Woodland Hills. If I already know what I want and there isn't a price difference I usually deal with Woodland Hills. If I have no clue what I want and rely on experts to tell me then I order through OPT.

brokenwave
sage

Reged: 05/10/11

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Re: iOptron CEM60, not a rumor anymore. new [Re: Whichwayisnorth]
      #6314974 - 01/15/14 05:33 PM

+1 for Larry, he is great and pretty honest with me when I buy things, he will offer alternatives that are better in his opinion.
He has saved my brother much grief by buying the correct item the 1st time. He has some nice AP images on his phone that he has taken with his set-up.

epdreher
sage

Reged: 06/12/11

Loc: Republic of Texas
Re: iOptron CEM60, not a rumor anymore. new [Re: brokenwave]
      #6315040 - 01/15/14 06:05 PM

Chris is my go-to guy, but Larry is a very close second. Gotta agree.

Scott Rose
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/20/08

Loc: beachwood ohio
Re: iOptron CEM60, not a rumor anymore. new [Re: epdreher]
      #6315436 - 01/15/14 09:19 PM

I like to deal with Daniel from Woodland Hills. He is not about selling, but matching my needs. Its nice to deal with someone with integrity and knowledge.

Astronewb
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/19/11

Loc: Connecticut
Re: iOptron CEM60, not a rumor anymore. new [Re: Scott Rose]
      #6316854 - 01/16/14 04:09 PM

It's definitely getting close to 'not being a rumor'.

I received an email from iOptron yesterday asking what I wanted laser engraved on the mount's data plate.

They also indicated shipping could be as early as next Monday...yay!

Cheers all...Paul

rkayakr
sage

Reged: 10/27/10

Loc: Northeast Ohio
Re: iOptron CEM60, not a rumor anymore. new [Re: Astronewb]
      #6317543 - 01/16/14 10:28 PM

Congratulations Paul, and your answer to their data plate question was ... ?

Did you order the encoder version?

I signed up on the email list. I'm glad to hear that you'll get yours first - that will give you a chance to work out the bugs for the rest of us

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | (show all)

Extra information
19 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 17023

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics