Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | (show all)
Astronewb
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/19/11

Loc: Connecticut
Re: iOptron CEM60, not a rumor anymore. new [Re: ur7x]
      #6197218 - 11/15/13 09:14 PM

Update, looks like iOptron has just released the official spec sheet on the mount with weight/payload/data/etc:

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?ca=e1cba52c-8c5c-41c7-87bf-c71...

The data looks good, the mount looks good, now we wait to see how the shipping versions actually perform under the stars.

Best...Paul

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Phillip Easton
sage

Reged: 12/24/10

Loc: DFW
Re: iOptron CEM60, not a rumor anymore. new [Re: Astronewb]
      #6197224 - 11/15/13 09:19 PM

Digging the cable management and elevation adjustment!

Would like to know more about: "Permanent periodic error correction (PPEC) or Realtime periodic error correction (RPEC)"

Cheers!

Astronewb
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/19/11

Loc: Connecticut
Re: iOptron CEM60, not a rumor anymore. new [Re: Phillip Easton]
      #6197238 - 11/15/13 09:27 PM

Hi Phil, me too. We know that PPEC is the normal permanent correction, which the mount retains for use over and over.

I'm wondering if the Realtime PEC is employed along with the high precision encoder version for the absolute lowest PE values available? If I remember, the iEQ45GT, with Renishaw encoder, would do about .3 arc-seconds peak to peak?

If the CEM60 can pull that off with whatever encoder they are going to use, I don't think we'll hear any complaints about the less expensive encoders...:)

All the best...Paul

Phillip Easton
sage

#6197244 - 11/15/13 09:33 PM

Paul,

My thoughts exactly, the Realtime PEC sounds intriguing!

OzAndrewJ
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/30/10

#6197258 - 11/15/13 09:47 PM

What does the following actually mean???
Quote:

Patent pending non-contact magnetically loaded gear system

Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia

Dan Finnerty
sage

Reged: 09/11/11

Loc: Pasadena, CA
      #6197313 - 11/15/13 10:07 PM

OK, I have two questions:

1) When can I order this thing,

2) Who wants to by my G11?

Seriously, I want to get some idea how this mount actually performs in the field, but assuming iOptron delivers, I'm all over it!

The concept of producing a mount with guaranteed (and demonstrated via PEC chart) performance, and with a premium performance option is a serious business model improvement if they can keep the price down and reliability up.

Astro Physics, Tak, Software Bisque, etc. are able to produce high end mounts to the highest standards, but at a very high (though honest IMHO) price but very limited production volume. Even if you win the lottery and can afford one of these high-end mounts, you will still have to wait a long time for delivery.

If iOptron can produce a significant fraction of the premium mount performance for a more accessible price and on-demand delivery then we have a break through for the AP amateur community.

With the rise of astrophotography into mainstream amateur astronomy, I think people are starting to expect higher precision out of their mounts and, even if unrealistic, I sense a growing dissatisfaction with the existing middle-market products. I know I'm frustrated with my G2 software and the fussiness of getting good PEC performance from the G11. People complaining about cogging issues with Celestron mounts, Mead performance issues, etc. just keep coming up. My G11 is fine for visual but a hassle to master for astro.

There is a real business opportunity here and it appears iOptron is setting its sights for that market. I hope they are able to succeed, it will raise expectations on the competition which can only work to all our benefits over time.

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/19/11

Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA
Re: iOptron CEM60, not a rumor anymore. new [Re: blave]
      #6197422 - 11/15/13 10:56 PM

Quote:

Looks very nice. But -- one of the best things I've ever done in this hobby is cancel my pre-order for the Meade LX-80 mount (oh thank goodness I did that) and get the already-in-production iEQ45 instead. However, even there, I would've been better off to've waited a while, because within a year they had upgraded the worm gear and I think some other feature.

My point: wait for them to get this mount sorted out. As appealing as the price point is, for the time being anyway I'm going to continue with my plan to buy a used AP Mach1 GTO when I can afford it. But then, maybe by that time iOptron will be on v2 of the new mount 8^) .

Dave B.

Dave,

I have a little bit different take on this. I have always liked beening on the cuttin edge. That means not waiting until a product has been out for a set period of time befor buying. If you wait for v2, v3 or the new super CEM90 will be coming soon and you'll never pull the trigger on a new mount. At least iOptron offered an upgrade for the worm gear on the iEQ45.

I have an LX80 that, for the most part, I've been quite happy with. My equipment is not all that heavy and performance of the mount for visual has been quite good. I did want to use it for AP and, without the talked about upgrade, isn't in the cards with that mount. So, I'm happy that I didn't pass on the LX80 in favor of a older design. The biggest problem I have with the mount is that the mount/tripod/CW weigh in at about 75 pounds. That wasn't a problem with the mount but one with me not wanting to admit I'm getting too old to lug around that much weight.

I have a zEQ25 and am happy with it also. This will be my AP mount and it is only about 30 pounds - I can still move that much around. I don't expect the build quality of a $10,000 + mount. I don't mind doing some "tuning" since it is a very easy mount to work on.

If you wait for a product to have all the initial problems worked out, something new will come along that is, potentially, a little better. Right now, I'm glad I went with the z25 rather than the iEQ45.

If I could afford a CEM60, I'd place an order today! Anyone want to buy $4000 worth of science fiction books?

Mike

calypsob
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/20/13

#6197652 - 11/16/13 05:43 AM

This is really amazing and fantastic. I hope it actually becomes a reality unlike the astrotrac eq mount which appeared as a prototype and then vanished...

crow
sage

Reged: 07/09/12

Loc: BC, Canada
Re: iOptron CEM60, not a rumor anymore. new [Re: calypsob]
      #6197877 - 11/16/13 10:06 AM

Interesting, wonder if it will realistically carry a C14.

Darren Bly
sage

Reged: 07/24/06

Loc: Bakersfield, Ca
Re: iOptron CEM60, not a rumor anymore. new [Re: crow]
      #6197912 - 11/16/13 10:31 AM

At only 12kg with a 27 kg load capacity this could replace my old EQ6. It weighs 4kg less than an EQ6 with 50% more capacity.

andysea
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/03/10

Loc: Seattle, WA
Re: iOptron CEM60, not a rumor anymore. new [Re: Darren Bly]
      #6197976 - 11/16/13 11:27 AM

Looks beautiful and very affordable! I wonder how far past the meridian it can go.

ur7x
professor emeritus

Reged: 01/08/12

Re: iOptron CEM60, not a rumor anymore. new [Re: andysea]
      #6198012 - 11/16/13 11:43 AM

Quote:

Looks beautiful and very affordable! I wonder how far past the meridian it can go.

In "meridian continue" mode that would be right up until some part of your mount or OTA crashes into some other part of your mount or OTA.

Or a more positive way, if everything clears everything else... the answer is, "All the way past"

psandelle
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/18/08

Loc: Los Angeles
      #6198113 - 11/16/13 12:44 PM

From the specs, the "Meridian treatment" is: "Stop (0-15º pass), auto flip, continue."

Paul

andysea
Pooh-Bah

Re: iOptron CEM60, not a rumor anymore. new [Re: psandelle]
      #6198156 - 11/16/13 01:17 PM

That looks about right looking at the mount.
It will be interesting to see how that interfaces with a control software on the computer. I use Sequence generator pro for meridian flip and re-center/plate solve after that. That will only work with this mount if the auto meridian flip on the mount is turned off but the meridian flip can still be invoked by the controlling software on the computer.
That was not possible with the Smarteq pro but this mount has probably more sophisticated firmware.

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
Re: iOptron CEM60, not a rumor anymore. new [Re: psandelle]
      #6198376 - 11/16/13 03:50 PM

Quote:

From the specs, the "Meridian treatment" is: "Stop (0-15º pass), auto flip, continue."

Paul

Auto flip

ur7x
professor emeritus

Reged: 01/08/12

Re: iOptron CEM60, not a rumor anymore. [Re: psandelle]
      #6198481 - 11/16/13 04:53 PM

Quote:

Paul

Yes, I was commenting on "continue" mode... In that mode it will plow past the meridian until the user interrupts it...

In continue mode... The mount basically ignores the Meridian. While this is a "use at your own risk mode" for AP on short tube or pier mounted OTAs this is a VERY cool and desirable option.

andysea
Pooh-Bah

Re: iOptron CEM60, not a rumor anymore. [Re: ur7x]
      #6198605 - 11/16/13 05:57 PM

Do you know if in continue mode, the mount will flip when commanded by a controlling laptop?

Phillip Easton
sage

Re: iOptron CEM60, not a rumor anymore. [Re: andysea]
      #6198711 - 11/16/13 06:54 PM

Quote:

Do you know if in continue mode, the mount will flip when commanded by a controlling laptop?

I don't know for sure but would think it would via command from ASCOM. Similar function on their iEQ45.

anat
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/03/04

Re: iOptron CEM60, not a rumor anymore. [Re: andysea]
      #6198756 - 11/16/13 07:18 PM

Quote:

That looks about right looking at the mount.
It will be interesting to see how that interfaces with a control software on the computer. I use Sequence generator pro for meridian flip and re-center/plate solve after that. That will only work with this mount if the auto meridian flip on the mount is turned off but the meridian flip can still be invoked by the controlling software on the computer.
That was not possible with the Smarteq pro but this mount has probably more sophisticated firmware.

Auto meridian flip can be totally implemented in the software by
1) sending the goto command to RA slightly on the west side of the mount. The mount will flip and goto the position.
2) sending another goto command to the previous object.
3) performing plate-solving and re-aligning the mount.

In this way, you don't need to the capability of the mount to auto flip via a command.

Best regards,
Anat

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
Re: iOptron CEM60, not a rumor anymore. [Re: anat]
      #6198902 - 11/16/13 08:50 PM

I wouldn't mind loosing a sub or two when the mount does an automatic flip.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | (show all)

Extra information
14 registered and 36 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 18962

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics