Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | (show all)
Pak

Reged: 09/15/12

Loc: The Great Arc
Re: iOptron CEM60, not a rumor anymore. new [Re: Astronewb]
      #6206875 - 11/21/13 02:29 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Just got on the list. Did anyone hear about a 120 lbs version of the mount that is to be previewed at NEAF? I was told about it when I spoke to the iOptron folks at ASAE.

Yes, that's the next release. So if you really need a mount that weighs about 55 pounds, with a 110 or 120 pound payload, then you'd better wait a bit...:)

Cheers...Paul

I think Micheal needs one that will support is 14" OTA.

I would be a buyer for a mount that can handle a instrument capacity for imaging somewhere in the 45-50 pound range. From what I understand iOptron only recommends up to 30 pounds for imaging which, sadly, isn't good enough.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
orlyandico
Postmaster

Reged: 08/10/09

Loc: Singapore
Re: iOptron CEM60, not a rumor anymore. new [Re: Pak]
      #6206886 - 11/21/13 02:38 AM

The $3500-odd for a new encoder-equipped CEM60 will get you a used Takahashi NJP, which will carry 45-50lb with ease.

Hilmi
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/07/10

Loc: Muscat, Sultanate of Oman
      #6206895 - 11/21/13 02:49 AM

I have an imaging setup weighing approximately 10.5 Kg which still gives me some room to grow. I put myself on the list because every which way I looked at it I can't afford a premium level mount but I am unhappy with my G11 for imaging use.

I put my name on the list for the version with high precision encoders. I wasn't too concerned since they did not ask for a credit card no. I also got the impression that dealing with them for repairs and maintenance in a country without a dealership is not so hard so that encouraged me.

I will still have to consider the cost of adding a tripod or tripod adapter. The iOptron ones don't look too solid to me from the pictures. I can probably use my folding HD tripod from Losmandy instead.

Pak

Re: iOptron CEM60, not a rumor anymore. new [Re: orlyandico]
      #6206896 - 11/21/13 02:49 AM

I was thinking of saving a bit more and getting a used Mach1. I am not really familiar with the NJP. Probably worth looking at.

orlyandico
Postmaster

#6206899 - 11/21/13 02:56 AM

I looked long and hard at the NJP. It sells used for under $4000, has a 70-lb payload, one-star GoTo align (like the Mach1), but you cannot command GoTo's without a PC or tablet (with SkyFi).

In the end I did not get the NJP - even though I was mightily tempted - because

1) my wife wouldn't let me buy one, she decreed it looked too old (the NJP is based on the JP which is a 1979 design)

2) it is way too heavy compared to the Mach1

But it does carry more than the Mach1 and costs much less.

Rob vanderbei has a bunch of really good images with an NJP and a 12.5" RC.

http://www.princeton.edu/~rvdb/images/NJP/

It is a great mount, even if you don't consider price, if you can find one. Only 2-3 get sold every year on astromart.

Pak

#6206909 - 11/21/13 03:02 AM

Quote:

I looked long and hard at the NJP. It sells used for under $4000, has a 70-lb payload, one-star GoTo align (like the Mach1), but you cannot command GoTo's without a PC or tablet (with SkyFi).

In the end I did not get the NJP - even though I was mightily tempted - because

1) my wife wouldn't let me buy one, she decreed it looked too old (the NJP is based on the JP which is a 1979 design)

2) it is way too heavy compared to the Mach1

But it does carry more than the Mach1 and costs much less.

I have my imaginary setup that I want to put together and it is all about the bengamin's. With everything I need for imaging I am just under 40 pounds. I think 39.5. I have a much smaller system I use for visual and the occasional widefield imaging with a small refractor so my next system is going to have to be really solid performance wise. The CEM60 looked really good until the 30 pounds thing was mentioned. Oh and I need full computer control and while using sky-fi isn't a deal breaker, I do have those things on my other system and it would be nice to know I could use it on both if I needed to or just wanted to.

c'mon iOptron! We need a CEM75!

orlyandico
Postmaster

#6206911 - 11/21/13 03:06 AM

The NJP will work with full computer control.

It just won't do GoTo without a computer. Its handset doesn't have a display or even keypad (it only has direction keys) so you can't command GoTo's from the handset.

I think a Mach1 would fit perfectly for you. I have one myself.

Wmacky
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/24/07

Loc: Florida
      #6207051 - 11/21/13 08:00 AM

I need C11 carrying capacity, so it looks like I'm back to either the expensive Mach One, Or the EQ8, which the US based Synta distributer has never even heard of! What to do, what to do!

orlyandico
Postmaster

Re: iOptron CEM60, not a rumor anymore. new [Re: Wmacky]
      #6207060 - 11/21/13 08:08 AM

.. NJP?

Wmacky
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/24/07

Loc: Florida
      #6207076 - 11/21/13 08:23 AM

Quote:

.. NJP?

Too rare! But I do like the looks of it....

Edited by Wmacky (11/21/13 08:24 AM)

Phillip Easton
sage

Reged: 12/24/10

Loc: DFW
Re: iOptron CEM60, not a rumor anymore. new [Re: Hilmi]
      #6207101 - 11/21/13 08:40 AM

Quote:

I will still have to consider the cost of adding a tripod or tripod adapter. The iOptron ones don't look too solid to me from the pictures. I can probably use my folding HD tripod from Losmandy instead.

I have the tripod that came with my iEQ45 and I think it is very solid, however I added the tripod spreader with battery tray from Deep Space Products (the one designed for Atlas/EQ6 tripod works) and it is beyond rock solid. The tray is nice as I besides putting my battery on it I also put caps and tools while setting up. Less chance of losing something by putting it on the ground. I have no doubt that my tripod will work well with the new mount.

Cheers!

orlyandico
Postmaster

Re: iOptron CEM60, not a rumor anymore. new [Re: Phillip Easton]
      #6207114 - 11/21/13 08:45 AM

That tray is nice.. and also quite expensive!

I have always grappled with the quandary of buying such an expensive tray and adding it to a Chinese tripod, or just buying a good tripod in the first place (like a Berlebach Planet). The prices aren't that far apart, unless you already had the Chinese tripod essentially for free.

Phillip Easton
sage

Reged: 12/24/10

Loc: DFW
      #6207117 - 11/21/13 08:46 AM

Quote:

The NJP will work with full computer control.

It just won't do GoTo without a computer. Its handset doesn't have a display or even keypad (it only has direction keys) so you can't command GoTo's from the handset.

One reason I went with the iEQ45 was because of the large screen on the HC. Had enough working with single line displays from my lab equipment days. Don't understand why some mount manufacturers short themselves on the hand controllers particularly with the current state of electronic displays and keyboards/pads available.

Cheers!

orlyandico
Postmaster

Re: iOptron CEM60, not a rumor anymore. new [Re: Phillip Easton]
      #6207143 - 11/21/13 09:00 AM

.. because I think Takahashi outsources their electronics.

That said, they're the worst - not even a single-line display!

I have to admit though, the Full HD screens on tablets and smart phones today makes any mount's display look pale and crude by comparison. So maybe scope manufacturers should just provide a web browser interface on their scopes.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

#6207169 - 11/21/13 09:17 AM

Quote:

You can use the new (third party) hand control, right? I know it is expensive...but...

tjugo
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/06/07

Re: iOptron CEM60, not a rumor anymore. [Re: rmollise]
      #6207300 - 11/21/13 10:42 AM

Hi,

My last encounter with an ioptron's mount was with a ZEQ25. The mechanics were nice and overall a very smooth mount. Buuut at the time the ASCOM driver was junk, it was not just incomplete, it was hanging the host PC.

The territory that the CEM60 will be playing (permanent, semi-permanent set up) won't be tolerant to a broken ASCOM driver, so I hope they come out with a nice robust and fully feature ASCOM driver when they release this new mount.

On the other hand 30lbs of photographic capacity is not very impressive for a 3K~4K mount.

I am looking forward to see the final prices and some field reviews, next year plan to upgrade one of my mounts and the CEM60 might be the option in case they rollout a nice ASCOM driver.

Cheers,

Jose

andysea
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/03/10

Loc: Seattle, WA
Re: iOptron CEM60, not a rumor anymore. [Re: rmollise]
      #6207301 - 11/21/13 10:42 AM

I have used my NJP with the Orion cable and their iPhone app for goto and it's actually very nice. It works very well.
I think the cable was less than$30 on sale and the app about $14. Sky safari does a similar product but I think their cable is more expensive. Even if you don't have an iPhone you can get an older used iPod touch and that would still be way cheaper than the Tak hand controller.

Carl N
sage

Reged: 03/18/12

Loc: San Diego, CA
Re: iOptron CEM60, not a rumor anymore. [Re: andysea]
      #6207347 - 11/21/13 11:13 AM

Anyone got an NJP they want to sell?

Astronewb
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/19/11

Loc: Connecticut
Re: iOptron CEM60, not a rumor anymore. [Re: andysea]
      #6207348 - 11/21/13 11:14 AM

Quote:

My last encounter with an ioptron's mount was with a ZEQ25. The mechanics were nice and overall a very smooth mount. Buuut at the time the ASCOM driver was junk, it was not just incomplete, it was hanging the host PC.

Yep, the Ascom driver for the 8408 HC took a while to sort out. The latest driver is is trouble free (so far). I waited months for the 8408 HC to be compatible with SkySafari and in the end, it was a problem on Southern Star's side that was corrected once iOptron and SS got together to fix it once and for all.

However, the CEM60 will use the excellent 8407 HC, which has worked well with ASCOM and is just so user friendly that I cringe every time I have to use a Synta HC.

I will be looking at how well the CEM60 interfaces with ASCOM plug ins with interest also. Especially for those users who guide with ASCOM and EQMOD plug ins.

Cheers...Paul

tjugo
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/06/07

Re: iOptron CEM60, not a rumor anymore. [Re: Astronewb]
      #6207461 - 11/21/13 12:13 PM

Paul,

The only mounts compatible with EQMOD are syntha. EQMOD is a control program that drives the mount, the EQMOD program has an ASCOM driver.

I guess what you mean by "users who guide with ASCOM and EQMOD plug ins" is "users that autoguide using ASCOM pulseguide" In other words users that don't use the ST4 interface to autoguide.

Since you are close to iOptron why you don't try to persuade them to open the mount control protocol so 3rd party contol suites can be written to control their mount? I am sure that with the right attitude, support and maybe an incentive they can persuade the EQMOD dev team to port the control suite to iOptron mounts. This will boost iOptron's sales for sure. For instance after returning my ZEQ25 I bought an Orion Sirius just because it runs with EQMOD.

Cheers,

Jose

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | (show all)

Extra information
12 registered and 35 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 18956

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics