Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Sketching

Pages: 1
tellurian83

Reged: 10/04/06

Second telescope- Orion 80ED + Skywatcher 120ST?
      #6194866 - 11/14/13 03:57 PM

Hi,

I'm considering getting a second bigger scope. Currently I have an Orion 80ED, which I'm generally quite happy with. But I've started wondering its worth investing in another slightly bigger, albeit still portable scope. The primary reason is that I live in a rather light polluted area so I figure a bigger aperture would be preferable. But I still need something that's quite portable.

I was considering the Skywatcher 120 F/5 (achro) because of its portability/price. I mostly do visual observing so I wondered where there would be a big difference between that and the scope I currently have...? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

(Also, are there any advantages to getting the 120 mm with F/8.3 instead of the F/5.0? I don't really plan to do any planetary photography with it or anything so not sure- the 80ED, which I plan to hold on to, is just very good for photography, so the new telescope would really just be for visual observing).

(My mount is a Skywatcher Pro).

Thanks for your help!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, JayinUT, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 68

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics