Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Light Pollution

Pages: 1
astrokwang2
sage

Reged: 05/06/04

Loc: Arizona
Flagstaff Dark Sky Ordinances
      #6200316 - 11/17/13 05:04 PM

Well, I don't know if this news is a small victory, but I just heard on the local NPR that 29 local businesses were cited for violating Dark Sky ordinances in Flagstaff.

http://azdailysun.com/news/state-and-regional/flagstaff-cracks-down-on-night-...

Now, only if I could get them to enforce it out in the suburbs. There's this neighbor with a two story storage bldg that has an obnoxious light....

Edited by astrokwang2 (11/17/13 06:53 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
richard7Moderator
Not Quite

Reged: 11/02/07

Loc: Sacramento
Re: Flagstaff Dark Sky Ordinances new [Re: astrokwang2]
      #6200346 - 11/17/13 05:23 PM

Well, that's interesting. Someone's actually enforcing the law.
Does Az. go on daylight savings time?
Maybe that's why the timers were off?

seryddwr
Innocent Bystander

Reged: 02/19/10

Loc: La-la land.
Re: Flagstaff Dark Sky Ordinances new [Re: richard7]
      #6201501 - 11/18/13 11:25 AM

Quote:

Well, that's interesting. Someone's actually enforcing the law.
Does Az. go on daylight savings time?
Maybe that's why the timers were off?

No, they don't go on DS time.

darknesss

Reged: 09/05/13

Re: Flagstaff Dark Sky Ordinances new [Re: seryddwr]
      #6202419 - 11/18/13 07:54 PM

There's a couple of comments too, probably from those that were fined.
The article also says if the business is closed and it's past 11 PM the lights should be off. Why would anyone want to see closed store signs at night? "...Oh look it's a store! I must make a note to go there tomorrow during the day and buy sunglasses from them so I can wear them tomorrow at night"

Edited by darknesss (11/18/13 08:30 PM)

Seanem44
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/22/11

Loc: Woodbridge, VA
Re: Flagstaff Dark Sky Ordinances new [Re: darknesss]
      #6203540 - 11/19/13 11:25 AM

I sure wish the East Coast had laws like this.

hm insulators
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/22/07

#6203571 - 11/19/13 11:46 AM

Quote:

The article also says if the business is closed and it's past 11 PM the lights should be off. Why would anyone want to see closed store signs at night? "...Oh look it's a store! I must make a note to go there tomorrow during the day and buy sunglasses from them so I can wear them tomorrow at night"

Thank you, Corey Hart!

Adam Taylor
insignificant bystander

Reged: 11/11/10

#6203791 - 11/19/13 01:37 PM

Quote:

Now, only if I could get them to enforce it out in the suburbs. There's this neighbor with a two story storage bldg that has an obnoxious light....

Which county?

obin robinson
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/25/12

Loc: League City, TX
      #6203838 - 11/19/13 02:03 PM

Quote:

The same sort of people think that somehow I am shopping for 2012 Acuras at "blowout prices"... at 2 AM. I guarantee you if I was walking through the lot they would call the cops. So what's the point of having the lights on? What a stupid waste of money and a pointless exercise in futility.

obin

astrokwang2
sage

Reged: 05/06/04

Re: Flagstaff Dark Sky Ordinances new [Re: Adam Taylor]
      #6204280 - 11/19/13 05:58 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Which county?

Coconino county. This neighbor (two houses away) has a tall bright light which he leaves on randomly. The light is about 15 feet high and it's not shielded in any way. I'd guess it's a 150 watt "security" light. He recently installed another "porch light" next to the entrance of the two-story bldg. It's obviously the brightest house in the neighborhood.

Compared to some of the ongoing horror stories in this forum, it's relatively mild. He might know about the Dark Sky ordinance as the light will sometimes go off around 1 AM. But for about 6-7 nights a month, I have to decide whether to endure the bright light(using a towel) or don't observe at all. Luckily, there are several nights when the lights are not on -- usually Sun-Wednesday.

Adam Taylor
insignificant bystander

Reged: 11/11/10

#6204573 - 11/19/13 08:27 PM

Have you had a face to face discussion with your neighbor? Of course this would be the preferred choice of action. But if that fails, you have other avenues:

Arizona Revised Statutes (state law) Title 49, Chapter 7 Light Pollution. And what about the Coconino County Dark Sky Ordinance (legal basis)? Even Maricopa County has a Dark Sky Ordinance which falls under County Zoning Ordinance.

An analogy is someone racing up and down a 25mph residential street. This won't stop until enforcement takes place. Use your tax-funded resources.

TCW
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/05/13

Re: Flagstaff Dark Sky Ordinances new [Re: Adam Taylor]
      #6215259 - 11/25/13 02:24 PM

Just a reminder that getting overly aggressive could start a backlash and get laws repealed. Better to educate! Invite neighbors to a star party. There will be plenty of opportunities to explain light pollution. If the public perceives that a handful of nuts are going around harassing people over lights they feel are necessary for their security then what do you think will happen?

Getting someone fined won't make friends!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LivingNDixie, richard7 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 679

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics