Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
TCW
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/05/13

Meade LX80 Mount
      #6202373 - 11/18/13 07:29 PM

I am looking for a mid priced portable scope to use when I can't set up my big Newt. The Meade LX80 series looks attractive but there is a dearth of reviews for this mount. I am primarily looking at the 10" OTA and maybe mounting a Celestron Comet Catcher on the other end for visual use.

Any thoughts?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
herrointment
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/12/11

Loc: North of Hwy. 64
Re: Meade LX80 Mount new [Re: TCW]
      #6202426 - 11/18/13 07:56 PM

Hope you have a few hours to spare......happy reading!

LINK

Mike X.
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/28/10

Loc: Greece-Athens and Rome-Italy
Re: Meade LX80 Mount new [Re: herrointment]
      #6202447 - 11/18/13 08:11 PM

43 pages!!

Edited by Mike X. (11/18/13 08:12 PM)

ur7x
sage

Reged: 01/08/12

#6202451 - 11/18/13 08:14 PM

Quote:

dearth of reviews for this mount

Dearth? Over here there is a plethora of reviews. A few positive, most considerably less so.

This mount had a brutally bad launch (almost a year late) out of the gate it had several software glitches, it is unable to hold OTAs anywhere near the weight limit originally specified by Meade, it had some hardware problems with tripod bases cracking and legs breaking off and no one has any success using it for AP.

Anything else? Oh yeah, we now have documented proof that Meade has stopped making this mount little more than a year after launching it and all of the tooling has been collected in China, boxed up and shipped back to California.

Let me save you reading 43 pages of posts. In short, this mount when it was announced looked to be too good to be true, when it actually was sold most could see that statement was very accurate. Most who are happy with this mount are using it to hold up small light refractors. It will prove very disappointing with a 10" newt.

There is no dearth of better mount options.

All that is left for this mount is a rumor that Meade will fix it and build a replacement mount that does meet the specs that Meade announced for the LX80. At the very least I would wait for that mount, if it ever comes.

TCW
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/05/13

Re: Meade LX80 Mount new [Re: ur7x]
      #6202468 - 11/18/13 08:23 PM

Looks like I hit the jackpot! Thanks!

ahan.tm

Reged: 01/06/13

#6202494 - 11/18/13 08:32 PM

ur7x hit the money. I was looking at the LX80 earlier, but all these bad reviews turned me off. I chose the Celestron CGEM with a C8. For a 10" newt, the CGEM DX may be better. . .

StarryHost

Reged: 01/13/09

Loc: Vista, CA
Re: Meade LX80 Mount new [Re: ahan.tm]
      #6202576 - 11/18/13 09:14 PM

OK. I'm scared now. I have a couple of guys willing to sell me theirs for $650. Worth it? I want about 25 pounds on one side and 20 pounds on the other for visual only. Will I be disappointed?

What are my other options for that load??
Thanks,
Jack

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/19/11

Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA
Re: Meade LX80 Mount new [Re: StarryHost]
      #6202621 - 11/18/13 09:42 PM

Quote:

OK. I'm scared now. I have a couple of guys willing to sell me theirs for $650. Worth it? I want about 25 pounds on one side and 20 pounds on the other for visual only. Will I be disappointed?

Thanks,
Jack

Jack,

Lots of bad reviews but I have one that I'm happy with for visual only. For 25 pounds + 20 pounds I think you would be pushing the actual limits of the mount. $650 would be good price and if the "upgrade" ever becomes available you could end up with a nice mount. I'd go for it but I'm a gambler!

jrcrillyAdministrator
Refractor wienie no more

Reged: 04/30/03

Loc: NE Ohio
      #6202628 - 11/18/13 09:48 PM

I dunno; you'd have to spend considerable time going through that thread to see how many actual reports appear. While it was going on, it felt like it was one report, reposted day after day for months. There might be a couple of others but I doubt that there are many. The situation probably isn't as bleak as a first glance may indicate. That said, Meade apparently no longer deals with the LX80 manufacturer so there won't be any more until and unless something new is worked out. $650 for a used one sounds pretty good to me.

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Re: Meade LX80 Mount new [Re: jrcrilly]
      #6202667 - 11/18/13 10:07 PM

Quote:

I dunno; you'd have to spend considerable time going through that thread to see how many actual reports appear. While it was going on, it felt like it was one report, reposted day after day for months. There might be a couple of others but I doubt that there are many. The situation probably isn't as bleak as a first glance may indicate. That said, Meade apparently no longer deals with the LX80 manufacturer so there won't be any more until and unless something new is worked out. $650 for a used one sounds pretty good to me.

John,

You bring up a very good point. While the mount did not perform up to specs, there must be a lot more users out there that didn't have problems and the number of users here on CN reporting issues was fewer than a 45 page thread would indicate at first glance.

If the OP wants it for mounting 45 pounds of OTAs side by side, the cost of a proven mount is going to be a LOT more than $650. Worst case, Jack, if you buy it and don't like it and resell it for $500... your out $150 on the experiment.

Mike

frolinmod
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/06/10

Loc: Southern California
      #6202815 - 11/18/13 11:30 PM

Quote:

Will I be disappointed?

Yes, I suspect you will be very disappointed. For that load you'll need a more substantial mount.

A CGEM, Atlas EQ-G, CGEM-DX or CGE with a side-by-side bar, "V" saddle and ADM Mini-MAX to keep things light weight would be better.

Something like the Sky-Watcher AZ-EQ6 GT or the Orion Atlas Pro AZ/EQ-G (which are the same mount in different colors) would be good if you want the AZ and dual AZ mode.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

#6203160 - 11/19/13 08:18 AM

Quote:

Thanks,
Jack

No it is not worth it. And no, it won't support these payloads. I had the opportunity to use one with only a C9.25 on it. Despite a strengthened tripod thanks to a machined, custom tripod head, that was too much for it. And, in EQ mode, the Autostar HC locked up at least once.

ur7x
sage

Re: Meade LX80 Mount new [Re: Mkofski]
      #6203353 - 11/19/13 09:58 AM

Quote:

While the mount did not perform up to specs, there must be a lot more users out there that didn't have problems and the number of users here on CN reporting issues was fewer than a 45 page thread would indicate at first glance.

Mike

You have steadfastly stuck to this believe in spite of considerable evidence to the contrary. You yourself when looking for this dark matter group of happy LX80 owners and in months of trying you only found 6 happy owners, none who had more than 25 pounds on the mount and zero who had any success taking a photo with it.

This mass of joyful LX80 owners just isn't there, and if it was, that doesn't explain why "new" (and old) Meade has long since canceled production of this mount.

And if it helps the OP, Poster Mike had one of the legs break off of his tripod, as he repositioned it on grass. Hands up who has seen that before... Poster Mike also bought the LX80 after being begged by several to reconsider his purchase and then he had to buy a second mount to do what he wanted the LX80 to do...

If you plan to support over 30 pounds on the LX80.. To quote an old friend...
This ain't the mount for you.

I had a Meade dealer talk me out of this mount, nicest thing that he did for me. Saving me that pain, he gets almost all of my business now. (of course he is a dealer for several other brands too)

brokenwave
sage

Reged: 05/10/11

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
      #6203415 - 11/19/13 10:25 AM

I have an LX80 and when you get over 35lbs it takes 3-4 seconds to settle, at 20lbs it takes 1-2 seconds and under 15lbs it is pretty solid. For visual it's decent and the 2 scope option is a nice feature. At $650 it will surprise you visually as long as you keep it under 15-20lbs.

Jmax
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/28/10

Loc: Alabama
      #6203554 - 11/19/13 11:33 AM

Mine easily handles my 8" Newt on one side and my C9.25 on the other in dual mode. Others say it won't, but mine will. It is a little shaky when really windy, otherwise I love it for visual.

John

Jmax
professor emeritus

#6203566 - 11/19/13 11:42 AM

When you say "none who had more than 25 pounds on the mount...," that is simply not true.

I use mine with around 40-45 lbs in dual mode and am completely happy. Damping time can be a little bit high, but for what it can do with two scopes, I see no other alternative out there even close in price range. I have used it now at three different star parties with my local club, and everyone who has seen it perform with my 200mm Newtonian on one side (for wide views) and my 9.25 on the other (for narrower fields) has been blown away by it. If the fix pans out, for those who wish to use it for photography, then it will be a sure winner!

John

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

#6203667 - 11/19/13 12:36 PM

Jack,

You asked about other options for a 45 pound load with OTAs mounted side by side. I don't think there is anything under $2000 that will carry 45 pounds.

The Losmandy G11 for about $3500, a CGEM DX for about $2000, an iOptron iEQ45 for about $2000, the Atlas Pro AZ/EQ-G for $2000. I'm sure there are others but at higher prices. You didn't say what your budget was.

Mike

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

#6203673 - 11/19/13 12:40 PM

You said you wanted a portable setup. My biggest problem with the LX80 is that it is too heavy for me to move around without taking it apart. I'm an old man with a bad back so 70 to 80 pounds is a lot for me.

ur7x
sage

Re: Meade LX80 Mount new [Re: Jmax]
      #6203682 - 11/19/13 12:44 PM

Quote:

If the fix pans out, for those who wish to use it for photography, then it will be a sure winner!

John

I completely agree, as I said in an earlier post. At the very least, wait for Meade to "restart" production on the revised or fixed version of this mount.

Some of us old timers here, who have suffered with mounts rated for 20 pounds attempting to hold up 30 pound OTA's that bounce a giggle like a Kardashian now know that the original Astronomy mantra of "Aperture Aperture Aperture"... "Buy the most aperture you can afford"... Should have been "Mount Mount Mount"... "Buy the largest, strongest and steadiest mount you can afford."

You have to agree that recommending that someone buy a mount that is no longer in production, that will be next to impossible to get parts for once it is off warranty is a bit of a stretch.

Jmax
professor emeritus

Re: Meade LX80 Mount new [Re: Mkofski]
      #6203714 - 11/19/13 12:55 PM

This is ABSOLUTELY my biggest problem with the mount as well. It is very heavy.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
8 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3314

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics