Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Beginners Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Arpita

Reged: 11/18/13

Beginners Telescope
      #6202934 - 11/19/13 01:10 AM

Hello,
I am new to telescopes.
I want to gift a telescope to my husband who is an amateur celestial viewer.
I have shortlisted two telescopes.
Need your opinion for the same.
First one is from a local shop in INDIA, who has more than 20 years of experience in making telescopes.
The specs are as follows:
Diameter/Aperture: 76mm
Focal Length: 700mm
Optical Design Newtonian
Lens Material Glass
Diameter 76mm
Focal Length 700mm
Scondary Mirror Diameter 20mm
F/ratio F/9.2
Faintest Steller Magnitude 12
Resoving Power 1.5
Focuser diameter 1.25”
Eyepiece(s) 1.25” - 25mm and 9mm
Barlow Lens 3x Barlow
Mount Type Alt-Azimuth
Slow-motion Control Vertical Only
Accessory Tray Wall-to-wall
Tube Weight 1.76Kgs
Tube Dimension(dia. x length) 12.5cm x 68.5cm
Tripod Height 67-119cm
Shipping Weight 9 Kgs
233x Magnification
Aluminized and overcoated mirrors
Smooth rack-and-pinion 1.25" focuser
Perfect for all-around astronomical observing
18% more light gathering power than 70mm. Enough to allow simple study of star clusters and nebulas
http://www.galileotelescope.com/productsdetails.php?pro_id=89
Next one is
Celestron Powerseeker 70AZ.
http://www.celestron.com/astronomy/celestron-powerseeker-70az.html

Both have same price range in INDIA.
But weight for the first one is 9KG and for celeston is only 2.9Kg.

Can you guys please suggest which telescope I should buy.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Maverick199
Postmaster

Reged: 02/27/11

Loc: India
Re: Beginners Telescope new [Re: Arpita]
      #6202984 - 11/19/13 02:56 AM

Hi Arpita and welcome to CN! That's a nice gesture indeed. In my opinion neither of those scopes would help much in bringing out details in Planets or nebulae. Perhaps if you state your budget then we could help you make a better choice?

Arpita

Re: Beginners Telescope new [Re: Maverick199]
      #6203019 - 11/19/13 04:57 AM

My budget is 100 USD.
I am also thinking for Celestron AstroMaster 70AZ Telescope.
Kindly suggest.
web page

Maverick199
Postmaster

#6203207 - 11/19/13 08:48 AM

In India due to Customs, sales tax and cess duties, costs are double compared to U.S. At this stage, unless you can pay for say a 4.5" Dobsonian, I wouldn't for the sake of buying a scope get either package. These scopes may well be suited for children starting out but for an adult, it may end in dissapointment. Why not tell him what you intend to gift him but with an intention to hold off till such time you save some more? Maybe he could chip in as well. Just a thought.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
      #6203245 - 11/19/13 09:06 AM

Maybe combine your monies into one pot and get the scope together for you both to spend some quality time together under the stars.......

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/06

Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA
      #6203282 - 11/19/13 09:22 AM

Quote:

Hi Arpita and welcome to CN! That's a nice gesture indeed. In my opinion neither of those scopes would help much in bringing out details in Planets or nebulae. Perhaps if you state your budget then we could help you make a better choice?

Actually, both a 76-mm reflector and a 70-mm refractor can be pretty good telescopes, capable of resolving a surprising amount of detail on the Moon and planets.

I haven't seen either scope, so it's hard to guess which would work better. Optically, they should both be very comparable, so it comes down mostly to mechanical quality.

I would say that while better scopes are clearly available, they're both probably pretty good deals considering what they cost.

My hunch is that the reflector will work better. I've had better luck with low-cost reflectors than low-cost refractors. And I like the choice of eyepieces supplied with it better.

Edited by Tony Flanders (11/19/13 09:26 AM)

Maverick199
Postmaster

Re: Beginners Telescope new [Re: Tony Flanders]
      #6203335 - 11/19/13 09:53 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Actually, both a 76-mm reflector and a 70-mm refractor can be pretty good telescopes, capable of resolving a surprising amount of detail on the Moon and planets.

I haven't seen either scope, so it's hard to guess which would work better. Optically, they should both be very comparable, so it comes down mostly to mechanical quality.

I would say that while better scopes are clearly available, they're both probably pretty good deals considering what they cost.

My hunch is that the reflector will work better. I've had better luck with low-cost reflectors than low-cost refractors. And I like the choice of eyepieces supplied with it better.

I am not going to pit myself against you. FWIW, I have viewed through a 71mm Refractor and have seen more details on M 31 and the Lagoon than through my 4" Refractor, perhaps due to seeing conditions or ED objective I don't know. However, the ED glass combined with a stable mount ( CG-5 ) is pretty well over the OP's budget.

Joe Aguiar
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/10/07

Loc: none of your buss
      #6203338 - 11/19/13 09:54 AM

i think the 70mm refractor (2nd one) is a bit better than the reflector(1st one)but both mount and tripods are not good, iam afraid he may find keeping the image steady is going to be hard. If you can find that 70mm refractor on a AZ3 or EQ2 mount that will be much better for him as an adult.

Joe Aguiar
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Beginners Telescope new [Re: Joe Aguiar]
      #6203355 - 11/19/13 10:00 AM

heres a few link that show better scope altho more than a $100 these can last a lot longer and make his viewing better much better.

http://www.khanscope.com/productdetails.cfm?productID=4384

http://www.khanscope.com/productdetails.cfm?productID=2146

http://www.khanscope.com/productdetails.cfm?productID=2212

http://www.khanscope.com/productdetails.cfm?productID=4389

Edited by Joe Aguiar (11/19/13 10:03 AM)

LDW47
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/04/12

Loc: north bay,ontario,canada
      #6203394 - 11/19/13 10:16 AM

Quote:

In India due to Customs, sales tax and cess duties, costs are double compared to U.S. At this stage, unless you can pay for say a 4.5" Dobsonian, I wouldn't for the sake of buying a scope get either package. These scopes may well be suited for children starting out but for an adult, it may end in dissapointment. Why not tell him what you intend to gift him but with an intention to hold off till such time you save some more? Maybe he could chip in as well. Just a thought.

I agree, I don't think he will stay satisfied very long ! At that point he will either be turned off or the spending urge will begin so why not keep your hard earned $ a little longer, do some more research, ask some more questions and then spend a little more for a much better package !? I think you will find, many times, is that there is a fine line between a poor scope and great scope for just a small difference in cost !? Take some good advice from some very knowledgable people on here and I think in the end you and your hubby will be happy ! Until the fever / urge starts that is !! LOL !!

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

#6203472 - 11/19/13 10:52 AM

Quote:

i think the 70mm refractor (2nd one) is a bit better than the reflector(1st one)but both mount and tripods are not good, iam afraid he may find keeping the image steady is going to be hard.

I have evaluated a number of inexpensive 70-mm refractors and 76-mm reflectors. In general, I would say that the optics on the refractors are better, but the reflectors are much stabler and easier to use. I'm not sure exactly why that is. It's obviously partly because you view from the top of a reflector and the bottom of a refractor, so the tripod can be a lot shorter -- and therefore more stable -- on the reflector than on the refractor. In addition, I suspect it's because the reflectors are better balanced.

I reviewed the Orion 76-mm alt-az reflector, which looks outwardly identical to the Galileo reflector mentioned by the OP, except that it has a (good) red-dot finder instead of an (undoubtedly terrible) 5x24 finderscope.

I and my ex-colleague Josh Roth, another small-scope enthusiast, found the Orion 76-mm reflector a true joy to use. You can read our review here.

If the Galileo scope is even close in quality to the Orion scope, there's no fear of it deterring a serious enthusiast from pursuing the hobby. Many of the people who write regularly for this group started with significantly worse telescopes.

Also, remember -- this is India, not the U.S. People don't expect to have everything served up on a silver platter; they're used to making do with balky tools, cars, and suchlike. A far more fruitful attitude, if you ask me.

Arpita

#6203699 - 11/19/13 12:50 PM

Hello,

Thanks you all for the above comments.
I would also like to know your comments on
Orion SkyScanner 100mm TableTop Reflector Telescope.
I was able to find a site who can import this scope from US.
I have to pay Rs.14000/- which comes to about to 280$.
Is it worth spending this much money in this telescope?
Waiting for your comments

Maverick199
Postmaster

#6203709 - 11/19/13 12:54 PM

Yes, the Orion Skyscanner 100mm is a good serious scope for the money. Re-confirm price before payment.

Joe Aguiar
Carpal Tunnel

#6203731 - 11/19/13 01:04 PM

yes i think that can fit very nicely too.too bad shipping is abit expensive but you will like a scope like this much better then the first ones you mentioned.

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

#6203735 - 11/19/13 01:06 PM

Quote:

Yeow! I wouldn't spend that much if I could get a 76-mm reflector for $100.

Joe Aguiar
Carpal Tunnel

#6203847 - 11/19/13 02:08 PM

altho sounds like whatever she buys will have alot of duties and taxes so maybe get a scope that will last many yrs and pay the fess only once.

rnc39560
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/23/13

Loc: MS coast
      #6203994 - 11/19/13 03:22 PM

I use my 60x700mm refractor A LOT! Even though I have an xt8 and a 114x500mm reflector. I would say probably MORE than either. I watch birds, animals, people, and observe stars, clusters, planets, and moon. You can't knock something cause its small or budget. I found it for $5 (probably saved it from the garbage can) and after I completely took it apart and cleaned it up its the most used one here. Its the person USING it that says how much its enjoyed.

Edited by rnc39560 (11/19/13 03:24 PM)

rnc39560
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/23/13

Loc: MS coast
Re: Beginners Telescope new [Re: rnc39560]
      #6204009 - 11/19/13 03:32 PM

if they also can order a decent smaller one WITHOUT all the shipping fees and such, it maybe a good idea. What if a more expensive one gets there with ALL the $ in shipping and they need a part later?

SpaceConqueror3

Reged: 09/19/13

Loc: Phinney Ridge, Seattle, WA
      #6204084 - 11/19/13 04:07 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I reviewed the Orion 76-mm alt-az reflector, which looks outwardly identical to the Galileo reflector mentioned by the OP, except that it has a (good) red-dot finder instead of an (undoubtedly terrible) 5x24 finderscope.

I and my ex-colleague Josh Roth, another small-scope enthusiast, found the Orion 76-mm reflector a true joy to use. You can read our review here.

If the Galileo scope is even close in quality to the Orion scope, there's no fear of it deterring a serious enthusiast from pursuing the hobby. Many of the people who write regularly for this group started with significantly worse telescopes.

Also, remember -- this is India, not the U.S. People don't expect to have everything served up on a silver platter; they're used to making do with balky tools, cars, and suchlike. A far more fruitful attitude, if you ask me.

I think that is very sage advise. I personally made hay with a 76mm reflector for several years when I started the hobby and wouldn't hesitate recommending that particular Orion telescope to anyone either.

Kevdog
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/11/12

Loc: Desert Hills, AZ
      #6207922 - 11/21/13 04:44 PM

Quote:

Hello,

I have no idea about ebay in India, but it looks like there might be some good deals there?

Celestron 130EQ for Rs 13,965 ?
http://www.ebay.in/itm/Celestron-AstroMaster-130EQ-Telescope-/271321346145?pt...

Or a Celestron 114 for Rs 9900 + 950 shipping?
http://www.ebay.in/itm/Celestron-powerseeker-114-EQ-Reflector-Telescope-for-a...

Hopefully that helps some?

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
5 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, WOBentley, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1421

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics