Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Questar Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Copernicus1473

Reged: 07/06/12

Question and Advice
      #6203483 - 11/19/13 10:55 AM

Good Morning,

I hope that I don't get killed for this post. The last Time I asked a question about Questars on the Classic Forum, I created a firestorm. What is it about these scopes that cause quite a stir?

I have heard so many good things about Questars and am excited that I might be able to buy one. I have been in astronomy for about one year and own an Orion 8XT Dobsonian. I have a good assortement of eyepieces. I enjoy using it but sometimes I just don't feel like lugging it out of my garage. I am looking at buying an older Questar (3.5) and was thinking about using it as a grab n go telescope. Would this scope make a good "garb n go? I have only seen pictures of them so I don't know what to expect.

I heard that the optics are good. What about eyepieces? Can you use any type or do you need to buy special ones? Any help, advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jack

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ColoHank
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/07/07

Loc: western Colorado
Re: Question and Advice new [Re: Copernicus1473]
      #6203779 - 11/19/13 01:30 PM

Excellent grab n go on its supplied legs for tabletop use, or with a tripod. Resolution and light grasp won't compare with your eight-inch Dob, but a Questar is very compact, very light (about seven pounds), and of superb optical and mechanical quality. Built-in Barlow, and the finder is accessible through the main eyepiece with the flip of a lever. Wonderfully smooth slow motion controls, no collimation necessary, and unparalleled support from a company that's been making scopes in the USA since the mid-1950s.

Plus, it tracks (at both sidereal and lunar rates if equipped with Powerglide II), so you won't have to constantly nudge it along to keep object in the eyepiece.

Brent
sage

Reged: 11/18/04

Loc: NE Missouri
      #6203886 - 11/19/13 02:33 PM

I'm with Hank. Questar has to be something like the original "grab-n'-go," designed and launched when the typical telescope was the 3" or 4" refractor on a less-than-wieldy equatorial mount. I have two other scopes, one larger and one smaller than the Q, but the Questar is the one I use the most precisely because it is so easy to set up and use.

As far as eyepieces: the newer Questars accept both threaded Brandons and standard 1-1/4" eyepieces. To use 1-1/4" eyepieces in an older model, you will need an adapter such as the one TeleVue sells. I don't know what year Questar made the change, but someone will know. My Questar is an '06 model and accepts both types of eyepieces.

Brent

A6Q6
professor emeritus

Reged: 05/31/11

Loc: Stroudsburg,Pa,U.S.A
      #6204144 - 11/19/13 04:47 PM

"My home observing is primarily Questar-based, utilizing an aluminum pier that can be removed for mowing and replaced without losing polar alignment." These words are from RRavenberg. They were from the Ravenberg Scope Gallery before he passed on. He made telescops from 17" dobs to much smaller refractors on very unique mounts. But at home he used a 3.5" Quester. There is now a Ravenberg Memorial Scope Gallery but the Questar section with the all the photo's of how he used his Questar is missing. I would like to see that part restored. I feel that showing how Ravenberg had access to all kinds of telescopes, but that the Questar had a unique place at his home, would show the complete Ravenberg and help others make a decision on owning a Questar. I'm really glad I saved that thread and many others from CN on my computer. Hope this helps Copernicus1473

Edited by A6Q6 (11/20/13 11:04 AM)

starboy1954

Reged: 11/26/10

Loc: Aurora, Il
Re: Question and Advice new [Re: A6Q6]
      #6204301 - 11/19/13 06:09 PM

It literally takes minutes to set up and break down. Not to mention if you're using the supplied legs on a table top (I use a hefty picnic table) you can do it all comfortably sitting down. Atlases, iPad, etc. all within easy reach on the table! The viewing experience is so seamless and effortless.

Wonderfully crisp views. Only 3.5 in, yes, but I can count on one hand the number of times seeing provided me with optimal 8 in views with my C8.

Of course the C8 beats it on clusters and galaxies but once again my city skies are so light polluted that lunar, planetary, and double star viewing is what I do anyway. Q rocks here.

I must say I have never yet taken the little Q to a really, really dark site. I'm curious how it performs there.

JMKarian

Reged: 03/18/13

Loc: Northwestern PA
Re: Question and Advice new [Re: starboy1954]
      #6204386 - 11/19/13 06:47 PM

Jack,
The Q's have tremendous versatility. One day last summer - with my duplex - (1) imaged damselflies landing on cattails in the pond at 25' distance and able to resolve the critter's compound eye structure (2) later inspected the coaxial cable attachment to my ham radio antenna @ 50' on a tower while sitting on the deck (3) Put it on the tristand to check out the "night's best".

Billydee
professor emeritus

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Winter Haven, FL
Re: Question and Advice new [Re: JMKarian]
      #6204620 - 11/19/13 08:51 PM

Brent,

The 1994 model was the last year that the Diopter Adapter would only work with the Brandon EPs. In 1995 they started to produce the Diopter Adapter that will accept all EPs (a copy of the TV adapter). Questar can supply their adapter to pre-1995 Qs (I think they are about $85) and you just screw out the old one and replace it with the new one.

Bill

Copernicus1473

Re: Question and Advice new [Re: Billydee]
      #6205217 - 11/20/13 08:00 AM

Thank you for your posts and encouraging words. Looking forward to getting the scope and will post some pictures once I get it. That is if I can figure out how to do it? The weight, portability and ease to setup and take down is what I am looking for (sounds like an ideal grab n go scope). I live in a dark sky area which will only enhance the viewing.

I heard good things about the company and their customer service, and the fact the they are located in the United States and has been in business for awhile is a big plus. Glad to hear that you can buy an adapter so that you can use other EPs. I have been looking on the internet and the Brandon EPs are expensive.

Thanks again for your input. It is greatly appreciated!

Jack

Brent
sage

Reged: 11/18/04

Loc: NE Missouri
      #6205492 - 11/20/13 11:16 AM

Thanks Bill. I knew someone would know.

Best,
Brent

Copernicus1473

Re: Question and Advice new [Re: JMKarian]
      #6208928 - 11/22/13 08:47 AM

I will be picking up the scope this weekend. It does not have a manual. Is there a manual that I can download or is it best to contact Questar once I get the scope?

dougm

Reged: 02/23/08

Loc: Philadelphia,PA
      #6210349 - 11/22/13 09:51 PM

Here is something that can be found through the Company 7 website.
http://www.company7.com/library/questar/quebklt1960lr.pdf

dkapla12

Reged: 02/10/08

#6212305 - 11/23/13 10:44 PM

Call Questar for the manual. They'll also be able to tell you the age of the scope from the serial number that's on the bottom of the base. Enjoy the scope.

dkapla12

Reged: 02/10/08

#6212309 - 11/23/13 10:47 PM

Questar's diopter adapter will accept all 1.25" eyepieces starting in around 1972, but in 1995 they added a couple of nylon setscrews to hold the eyepiece in place. Before '95, you could just drop the eyepieces in. If you need to replace the diopter adapter, TeleVue also sells one, but get the one from Questar, it's really much nicer.

Mike E.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/26/10

Loc: Moonstone Observatory
Re: Question and Advice new [Re: dkapla12]
      #6212550 - 11/24/13 03:01 AM Attachment (58 downloads)

Hello Jack,

I recently purchased an older 3 1/2" Standard which came with the earlier eyepieces that have a built in focuser. They uses a smaller 1 3/16" adapter tube as seen in the left of the photo.

A Tele Vue 1 1/4" adapter was also included, but like the adapter for the early version of the Questar eyepieces, has no provision for focusing an eyepiece for finder use (photo center).

I contacted Jim Reichert at Questar for a current focuser diopter adapter. It fit perfectly, (right of photo) and enables the use of threaded Questar Brandons, non threaded Brandons, and other 1 1/4" eyepieces. The price was $85 plus shipping, well worth it in my opinion.

Note that not all eyepieces will come to focus with the Questar "finder". There is a list of those that do, but I don't recall where at the moment; perhaps someone will chime in with a link. Hope this is helpfull.

Copernicus1473

Re: Question and Advice new [Re: Mike E.]
      #6212742 - 11/24/13 08:16 AM

Thank you you for all of your help. I will be picking it up today and will call Questar Monday morning. I was going to try it out today or tonight but will wait a few days. Hopefully it will get a little warmer. Right now 10 degreesa and wind gusts to 35 miles per hour.

I will probably have a few more questions once I get it and start to use it. You are all a great group of people and from reading the posts very knowledgeable. Thanks for sharing!

Have a great day.
Jack

Copernicus1473

Re: Question and Advice new [Re: dkapla12]
      #6233037 - 12/04/13 10:55 AM

I contacted Questar and they told me that the scope was manufactured on 7/1/1955. They certainly keep great records. It has been a while since I purchased something older than me

Billydee
professor emeritus

#6234121 - 12/04/13 08:06 PM

Jack,

What is the serial mumber on your Q? It may be one made in the first year. Early ones are wonders.

Bill

Copernicus1473

#6234713 - 12/05/13 06:27 AM

The serial number for my Questar is R-8-104.

Billydee
professor emeritus

#6235688 - 12/05/13 03:57 PM

Jack,

You have a very very early one. It was 55th Questar to come off the production line (I understand the first production Q has the serial number 50). The R stands for modified or reworked, remanufactured, replaced or revised at a later date (Questar could probably tell you what was done). The 8 is the last digit of the year it probably was reworked.

You are a lucky man, Bill

Copernicus1473

#6236450 - 12/06/13 12:14 AM

Bill,

I did not know that you could tell so much about the scope based on its serial number. I do feel very lucky and fortunate about getting it. I have heard so many great things about Questar telescopes. Though I am not sure that I totally understand about how lucky I am. Is there much difference between the older and newer scopes? I figured that the older scopes would not be as good in optical quality due to all of the advancements in astronomical equipment over the years.

Jack

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cbwerner, Brian Risley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5016

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics