Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> General Observing and Astronomy

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)
Pinbout
Postmaster

Reged: 02/22/10

Loc: nj
Re: Grab and Go new [Re: ggalilei]
      #6265579 - 12/21/13 04:08 PM

Quote:

I think so too. My wife and I love G & G; we simply take the scope out to the deck and observe right away. Here's the line-up, at 9 lbs, 16, 20, and 29, left to right, complete systems as shown.
Apologies for including the 5" reflector!
Tonino

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
guangtou
sage

Reged: 03/27/10

Re: Grab and Go new [Re: Pinbout]
      #6265804 - 12/21/13 06:07 PM Attachment (22 downloads)

The simplest definition for me is do I grab and go with it? Nothing fits that definition better, whether I go to my backyard, down the street, or hop a plane to Arizona, than my trusty 15x50IS.

Actually a close second for backyard viewing is the Oberwerk BT100-45, despite its weight. It is by the back door and eps stay in: I open the door, place one hand on the fork mount and one on a tripod leg and can carry it out easily. Got to have a cup of coffee first, though.

Edited by guangtou (12/21/13 06:09 PM)

ggalilei
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/01/11

Loc: Kentucky
Re: Grab and Go new [Re: LDW47]
      #6265925 - 12/21/13 07:40 PM

Thanks, and thanks Danny.
We enjoy a lot our location, it's so convenient to set up right on the deck, plenty of open space above the horizon, and fairly dark skies (a lot of structure visible in the Milky Way). Not ideal for high power, but still quite doable. The only real problem is the humidity, except in Winter.

Gil V
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/09/12

Re: Grab and Go new [Re: mayidunk]
      #6273318 - 12/26/13 09:46 AM

Quote:

For me, I have a C6, and C90 OTA in the trunk of the car

I hope you never get rear-ended...

spaulmac

Reged: 03/31/10

Loc: Louisville, KY
Re: Grab and Go new [Re: Gil V]
      #6273667 - 12/26/13 01:31 PM Attachment (34 downloads)

As others have said, its up to the individual as to what passes for "grab and go". This is what works for me. I keep it fully loaded and ready to go for any occasion. One load with no boxes to my favorite viewing site 20' away out the front door. It weighs in at 32 lbs. 6 ozs. for night viewing and 37 lbs. for solar (yes, I'm the kind of loser that weighs all my equipment).

Glen A W
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/04/08

Loc: USA
Re: Grab and Go new [Re: spaulmac]
      #6273860 - 12/26/13 03:28 PM

I'm not being jerky at all, but I do not see how it could possibly weigh that much. It looks more like 15-20 pounds! GW

LDW47
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/04/12

Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada
      #6273862 - 12/26/13 03:30 PM

Quote:

As others have said, its up to the individual as to what passes for "grab and go". This is what works for me. I keep it fully loaded and ready to go for any occasion. One load with no boxes to my favorite viewing site 20' away out the front door. It weighs in at 32 lbs. 6 ozs. for night viewing and 37 lbs. for solar (yes, I'm the kind of loser that weighs all my equipment).

Nothing wrong with knowing what you got . Nice set up it must give great views !

spaulmac

Reged: 03/31/10

Loc: Louisville, KY
      #6273942 - 12/26/13 04:16 PM

Thanks LDW, I'm enjoying astronomy now more than I have in quite some time.

Nothing jerky about asking at all, Glen. The TV 85 is a pretty stout little scope at just under 6 pounds by itself; add the mount at 3.3 pounds and the tripod at 12.5 and you're already at close to 22 pounds before adding the eyepiece caddies, DSC and tray, diagonal, finder and eyepieces. I have to admit that missing from the photo are two eyepieces that account for nearly 1 1/2 pounds (aren't today's eyepieces getting ridiculous?). That's why I started weighing everything; it's easy to overlook several pounds theses days.

Glen A W
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/04/08

Loc: USA
      #6273947 - 12/26/13 04:17 PM

Ah, the tripod is where the missing weight rests. Well, that is a good place to put it! A very nice rig, very nice.

aa6ww
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/23/11

Loc: Sacramento, Calif.
Re: Grab and Go new [Re: Glen A W]
      #6276083 - 12/27/13 08:39 PM Attachment (27 downloads)

Watching a Lunar X with my Grab and Go TV 85 on a bogen mount, from inside my house..

...Ralph

LDW47
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/04/12

Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada
Re: Grab and Go new [Re: aa6ww]
      #6277013 - 12/28/13 11:28 AM

Quote:

Watching a Lunar X with my Grab and Go TV 85 on a bogen mount, from inside my house..

...Ralph

Nice setup. I never tried leaving some of mine set up in the house, as many do but I think they make a nice piece of furniture it's trying to convince my wife. LOL !

mattyfatz
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/27/06

Loc: Boise Idaho
      #6277677 - 12/28/13 05:46 PM Attachment (17 downloads)

UA Double Star mount
Skywatcher 6" f5
Astro Telescopes 4" f11

Not exactly light.. But very portable and quick to setup

Pinbout
Postmaster

Reged: 02/22/10

Loc: nj
Re: Grab and Go new [Re: aa6ww]
      #6277688 - 12/28/13 05:51 PM

Quote:

Watching a Lunar X with my Grab and Go TV 85

did I hear someone say Lunar X...

bhpnbr

Reged: 04/11/12

Loc: DFW, Texas
Re: Grab and Go new [Re: Pinbout]
      #6284650 - 01/01/14 12:15 AM Attachment (22 downloads)

My dear GnG. Orion ED80 on the Orion Versago II. With a Celestron (Vixen) diagonal and the Baader Hyperion Mk 3 zoom. Easy to balance on the Versago with tube rings and a dovetail.

This rig let me go out more times this week than the whole of last year. Gave me my first view of Andromeda and M32 from my heavily light polluted (White zone) DFW skies. Both objects were elliptical fuzzies but easily noticeable. M31 had a slightly brighter core but no other detail. I was surprised I even saw M32 at all, but it was unmistakably there.

My sole purpose of today's observing session was to find andromeda. I did take a quick peek at Jupiter and M42. But I'm liking this idea of going out,searching for one object and wrapping up. And this GnG rig will let me do that . Its easy to transport from my apartment, tno setup other than sliding the dovetail onto the mount, throwing in the eyepiece, and thats it!

For someone who's interested, the Versago II is a nice mount for a widefield scope like the ED80. I used it to look at Jupiter at 170 X mag with the Baader 2.25X barlow. The widefield helps but the mount is quite smooth and stable for tracking at that power.

Here's a low quality pic I took with my cellphone. Happy New Year everyone ! I certainly had one of the best NYE!

bhpnbr

Reged: 04/11/12

Loc: DFW, Texas
Re: Grab and Go new [Re: bhpnbr]
      #6284658 - 01/01/14 12:21 AM Attachment (21 downloads)

One more...

stargazer193857
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/01/13

Loc: Southern Idaho
Re: Grab and Go new [Re: bhpnbr]
      #6284813 - 01/01/14 03:39 AM

For me grab and go means I can take it from inside to outside and focused on my target in 3 minutes without having to put out any effort. The trip out should not be the slightest psychological hurdle, and I should be capable of at least briefly holding the whole set up with one hand and enough control I can extend the legs with the other hand, if it has them. And it needs to have enough aperture that I can see a variety of targets, not just the moon and planets.

My 60mm refractor was very grab and go, except only for the moon and planets. The 8" SCT my club loaned me, on a heavy tripod and mount, is transportable, but a real pain, sometimes literally, and thus is not grab and go.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: Grab and Go new [Re: stargazer193857]
      #6284889 - 01/01/14 05:47 AM

Quote:

My 60mm refractor was very grab and go, except only for the moon and planets.

Even from an urban, light polluted backyard like mine, there a variety of double stars, open clusters, globular clusters as well as number of nebulae and some galaxies that can be seen with a 60mm scope.

Jon

stargazer193857
Pooh-Bah

Re: Grab and Go new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #6285410 - 01/01/14 12:06 PM

Quote:

Quote:

My 60mm refractor was very grab and go, except only for the moon and planets.

Even from an urban, light polluted backyard like mine, there a variety of double stars, open clusters, globular clusters as well as number of nebulae and some galaxies that can be seen with a 60mm scope.

Jon

Is your backyard at least Bortle class orange? Granted I could have taken it some place darker, but that would defeat grab and go.

I got my 60mm for $20 including shipping. It was a GSI refractor on a wobbly mount with lose joints.

I did not know how to open the tube to flock it. It was just black plastic in there, no baffles, that let me see the moon coming long before I got to it. Distant trees looked very washed out through it. But I discovered that if I used the 45mm hole in the lens cover, instead of the full aperture without lens cover, the image was a lot less washed out. This made it effectively a 45mm scope.

I could faintly see two main bands on Jupiter, but only with the 45mm aperture and only at 117x.

The lens looked plastic and looked to thin at the edges to be an achromat. The objective lens and eyepieces were not coated. And the eyepiece barrels were shiny aluminum (not blackened) on the inside.

The lowest power eyepieces as 20mm, on a 700mm scope, giving me 35x as my lowest power. The 0.965" barrel size restricted my options here.

I was unable to align the finder to the scope, since the screws simply had their wedged preferred seating position which always slide to back off alignment, making it very difficult to find the Andromeda galaxy.

No doubt a flocked 60mm with a 25mm eyepiece could see some DSO's. Do you still think I could have too with my scope?

samovu

Reged: 07/05/13

Loc: So CA
Re: Grab and Go new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #6285437 - 01/01/14 12:19 PM

I'm such a newbie I thought that grab and go meant "grab" your set up and "go" drive somewhere. The first time I loaded up my SUV to go somewhere with a buddy it took me more than 30 minutes. So according to me grab and go means being able to load up the vehicle in less than 5 minutes and taking off to any darker site than my highly light polluted back yard. If I can load up quickly then it will be almost as quickly set up when I get to the site.

For viewing in my back yard it takes almost the same time to set up a 3 inch refractor on an light duty GEM mount as it does to set up a 5" on a heavy duty one. The latter takes more muscle but I need the exercise anyway.

Cheers and Happy New Year to all,
John

stargazer193857
Pooh-Bah

Re: Grab and Go new [Re: samovu]
      #6285682 - 01/01/14 02:47 PM

Ah, yes. The grab and go site. I could drive 50 minutes to get to a very dark sky. But I have a site just 8 miles from me that is Bortle green/yellow, with very little glare in the distance. That is where I go for DSO observation. A dark site might be better, or it might have clouds by the time I get there.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)

Extra information
9 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, panhard, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7775

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics