Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> General Observing and Astronomy

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)
brianb11213
Postmaster

Reged: 02/25/09

Loc: 55.215N 6.554W
Re: Grab and Go new [Re: Allan Wade]
      #6208766 - 11/22/13 03:36 AM

Quote:

What could be considered the largest grab and go refractor. I've not owned anything as large as 5", but for many reasons that size appeals to me as a setup to complement my Dob. I see many people with 4" refractors, and I'm sure that's a very handy size. Is 5" pushing it too much for grab and go.

IMHO, yes. I find my WO FLT 110 mounted on a Skytee 2 & HEQ5 tripod reasonably convenient though it needs to be transported in at least 2 pieces ... don't forget that the weight of an OTA of similar design increases with the cube of the aperture & the mounting requirements become considerably more significant.

Recently I attended an outreach event at a location where there was no convenient parking within 400 yards of the event. I took my short focus 80mm refractor and a good quality heavy duty camera tripod. Still two pieces but at least light enough to be carried at the same time (with diagonal, eyepieces etc. in the refractor's carry bag). That's my definition of "grab 'n go": one trip with everything including accessories carried at the same time. Some people may be comfortable doing this with a 4" short focus refractor but I seriously doubt that the bulk & weight of a 5" would allow this, unless you have the bulk & strength of the 1980 model Schwarzenegger.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: Grab and Go new [Re: brianb11213]
      #6208801 - 11/22/13 04:49 AM

Quote:

Some people may be comfortable doing this with a 4" short focus refractor but I seriously doubt that the bulk & weight of a 5" would allow this, unless you have the bulk & strength of the 1980 model Schwarzenegger.

I think it depends on the particular scope. I agree that the typical 5 inch refractor is too heavy and too long but a short focal length achromat like the Orion AstroView 120mm F/5 is under 9 lbs and about 24 inches long. I think that's definitely doable.

I find I can carry my William Optics 80mm Megrez II FD on the Bogen 3040 tripod/mount relatively long distances without the need to break it into two pieces. We use it a spotting scope during the day and carrying it to a scenic overlook or a hidden birding spot is doable.

Jon

BigC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/29/10

Loc: SE Indiana
Re: Grab and Go new [Re: FirstSight]
      #6208820 - 11/22/13 06:27 AM

Quote:

The configuration of your storage location and viewing location are as enormously important to what will work for "grab n'go" as the actual particulars of the scope itself. GOOD COMPARATIVE EXAMPLE:

At home ............., and the distance I have to carry stuff is only a third as long. But what a third it is!

Why not one of those resin deck storage boxes or a permanent wooden deck storage box that doubles as a sating bench ?

Carry everything up the first day of your stay and store in the lockable box between viewing sessions.

FirstSight
Duke of Deneb

Reged: 12/26/05

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Re: Grab and Go new [Re: BigC]
      #6208850 - 11/22/13 07:30 AM

Quote:

Quote:

The configuration of your storage location and viewing location are as enormously important to what will work for "grab n'go" as the actual particulars of the scope itself. GOOD COMPARATIVE EXAMPLE:

At home ............., and the distance I have to carry stuff is only a third as long. But what a third it is!

Why not one of those resin deck storage boxes or a permanent wooden deck storage box that doubles as a sating bench ?

Carry everything up the first day of your stay and store in the lockable box between viewing sessions.

It's a marine environment on a barrier island only a little over a thousand feet from the ocean. Salt + wind + high humidity and high heat during day in summer. Even a resin box will only do so much to keep salt-grit out of stuff left outside for an appreciable period.

Edited by FirstSight (11/22/13 07:31 AM)

Eric63
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/16/12

Loc: Ottawa, Ontario
      #6208861 - 11/22/13 07:45 AM

I think that 5" is getting a bit big for Grab and Go IMHO. At that size aperture, I would look to a 5" SCT or mak; but now it more like grab and wait (to cool) unless you use low power at first. If the weather is clear, I set my Mak outside the back door (in its case) just in case I decide to grab a peak later on. If not, I just take it back in at bedtime.

Eric

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
      #6208882 - 11/22/13 08:07 AM

It'd have to be a short tube APO....

Kon Dealer
professor emeritus

Reged: 01/05/11

Loc: Cambridge UK
Re: Grab and Go new [Re: csrlice12]
      #6208909 - 11/22/13 08:36 AM

Kson 1026ED (see) 5.7lb OTA, 21" with dewshield retracted.
http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/6198675/page...

See this thread.

LDW47
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/04/12

Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada
Re: Grab and Go new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #6208958 - 11/22/13 09:13 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Some people may be comfortable doing this with a 4" short focus refractor but I seriously doubt that the bulk & weight of a 5" would allow this, unless you have the bulk & strength of the 1980 model Schwarzenegger.

I think it depends on the particular scope. I agree that the typical 5 inch refractor is too heavy and too long but a short focal length achromat like the Orion AstroView 120mm F/5 is under 9 lbs and about 24 inches long. I think that's definitely doable.

I find I can carry my William Optics 80mm Megrez II FD on the Bogen 3040 tripod/mount relatively long distances without the need to break it into two pieces. We use it a spotting scope during the day and carrying it to a scenic overlook or a hidden birding spot is doable.

Jon

An absolutely beautiful pic, I would expect night viewing would be great form a location like this considering the wide openness of the terrain !? As long as you didn't step too far in the wrong direction that is !!

chazcheese
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/21/04

Loc: Phoenix, Az
Re: Grab and Go new [Re: LDW47]
      #6209006 - 11/22/13 09:37 AM

That sorta looks like one of the obs points from the south rim of the Grand Canyon...but I haven't been there in awhile.

mattyfatz
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/27/06

Loc: Boise Idaho
Re: Grab and Go new [Re: chazcheese]
      #6209333 - 11/22/13 12:33 PM Attachment (51 downloads)

This is my largest of the small grab and go rigs.
The whole thing fits in my Orion Observers Backpack.. which they sadly no longer offer.
I also bring along an f6.3 focal reducer, so I essentially get two scopes out of one

Edited by mattyfatz (11/22/13 01:22 PM)

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
      #6209342 - 11/22/13 12:36 PM

Quote:

That sorta looks like one of the obs points from the south rim of the Grand Canyon...but I haven't been there in awhile.

The photo was taken at Canyon de Chelly on the Navajo reservation. It was the refuge of the Navajos and the location of their holdout when Kit Carson rounded them up for the long walk. After disease took it's toll, they were returned to the area around Canyon de Chelly and from there have grown strong with a reservationof 25,000 square miles.

Jon

mattyfatz
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Grab and Go new [Re: mattyfatz]
      #6209345 - 11/22/13 12:36 PM Attachment (53 downloads)

One more..

mattyfatz
Carpal Tunnel

#6209354 - 11/22/13 12:40 PM

That's a UA Dwarfstar mount, on an Orion Paragon tripod. Scope is a C6
All that stuff in the backpack is about 21 lbs. very manageable

Edited by mattyfatz (11/22/13 12:40 PM)

Starman81
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/08

Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA
      #6209418 - 11/22/13 01:08 PM Attachment (30 downloads)

I have bigger and badder scopes than last year but no true grab-n-go anymore... Reading this thread has me missing my Observer 70mm! I could have that out and observing in a few minutes. Yes, yes, only 70mm and what with the chromatic aberration, but hey, getting out to observe was a lot easier.

mattyfatz
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Grab and Go new [Re: Starman81]
      #6209461 - 11/22/13 01:26 PM

I always liked that 70mm Orion scope. I always thought they should get rid of the 60mm scopes and start at 70mm. Much more effective. Especially under city skies.

WAVT
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/22/10

Loc: Bellingham, WA
      #6209519 - 11/22/13 02:02 PM Attachment (32 downloads)

I'm pretty fond of the Orion ST80 for it's versatility, ease of set up, and portability. To me, G&G is more like a traveling scope. Not one I would take exclusivly to a dark site, but one I would take if I were going somewhere that had some probability of fun stuff to look at from a distance. That might mean having to carry it on a hike, having it in the trunk when visiting friends, and being available to figure what that bird is across the pond. Most of all it has to be fun!

WAVT
professor emeritus

Re: Grab and Go new [Re: WAVT]
      #6209521 - 11/22/13 02:04 PM Attachment (40 downloads)

Here is that ST80 in the case w/ slick tripod

WAVT
professor emeritus

#6209525 - 11/22/13 02:06 PM Attachment (36 downloads)

And here is inside the case. This set up has a lot of use and miles on it. It is the definition of a fun little scope.

LDW47
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/04/12

Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada
      #6209569 - 11/22/13 02:25 PM

Quote:

And here is inside the case. This set up has a lot of use and miles on it. It is the definition of a fun little scope.

It can't get any better than that ! All fun !!

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
      #6209575 - 11/22/13 02:26 PM

Odd I haven't noticed it before, but your ST80 has the Orion brand on the OTA, mine is on the dew shield......

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)

Extra information
15 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, panhard, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7794

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics