Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> General Observing and Astronomy

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)
TheObserver
sage

Reged: 09/24/13

Loc: Light Polluted, NY
Re: Grab and Go new [Re: Philler]
      #6255538 - 12/16/13 12:23 AM

my SW 80ED and HD Camera Tripod 16LBS out the door in 5mn

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: Grab and Go new [Re: TheObserver]
      #6255551 - 12/16/13 12:37 AM Attachment (36 downloads)

Quote:

Big dobs can be out the door and ready to look through in 5-10 minutes but one does not merely grab a big dob, it's a real effort, it takes forethought and physical effort.

Even though the scope in the photo below can be ready to look through in less than 10 minutes, it's not "Grab and Go."

Jon

TheObserver
sage

Re: Grab and Go new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #6255562 - 12/16/13 12:50 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Big dobs can be out the door and ready to look through in 5-10 minutes but one does not merely grab a big dob, it's a real effort, it takes forethought and physical effort.

Even though the scope in the photo below can be ready to look through in less than 10 minutes, it's not "Grab and Go."

Jon

i love it. i need me one of those

LDW47
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/04/12

Loc: north bay,ontario,canada
      #6256047 - 12/16/13 10:55 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Jon

Great scope I would love to have one but my wife can't get her head around it and she is pretty easy going. Seriously though, when you are not observing with it do you shoot people out of it at the circus ? LOL !

mattyfatz
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/27/06

Loc: Boise Idaho
Re: Grab and Go new [Re: LDW47]
      #6256345 - 12/16/13 01:59 PM Attachment (23 downloads)

John,
Is that a 25" Obsession? I've used one, but it housed in an Observatory!

mattyfatz
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Grab and Go new [Re: mattyfatz]
      #6256347 - 12/16/13 02:00 PM Attachment (26 downloads)

mattyfatz
Carpal Tunnel

#6256351 - 12/16/13 02:02 PM

I guess in some ways it's a grab and go,,,
It "Grabs" a lot of light.. When I "Go" there to look through it
I know that's terribly cheesy

jgraham
Postmaster

Reged: 12/02/04

Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Soci...
      #6256387 - 12/16/13 02:26 PM Attachment (27 downloads)

What a fun topic! My grab'n go's cover a broad range, for example under some circumstances I've considered my AR-6 and a grab'n go scope (easy to set up and almost no cool-down time) and even my Lightbridge 16 (which I keep outside in a small vertical garden shed). But in the true spirit of grab'n go at a moments notice I have 3 that stand out... my trusty old 60mm Tasco, my Orion 90mm tabletop MCT, and my all-time favorite, my ancient little 40mm CopyScope.

This is my little CopyScope. It is made from a surplus photocopier lens and I used it for many years to observe satellites. Note the sophisticated atl/az scales on the tripod. The 'tube' was made from black foam core art board that was notched, rolled into a tube, joined with hot-melt glue, and water proofed with clear shipping tape.

TheObserver
sage

#6256465 - 12/16/13 03:05 PM

Quote:

John,

that's not a Grab and Go. thats a stand and go to the observatory.

and thats a very nice Bucket you got there

LDW47
professor emeritus

Re: Grab and Go new [Re: jgraham]
      #6256469 - 12/16/13 03:06 PM

Quote:

What a fun topic! My grab'n go's cover a broad range, for example under some circumstances I've considered my AR-6 and a grab'n go scope (easy to set up and almost no cool-down time) and even my Lightbridge 16 (which I keep outside in a small vertical garden shed). But in the true spirit of grab'n go at a moments notice I have 3 that stand out... my trusty old 60mm Tasco, my Orion 90mm tabletop MCT, and my all-time favorite, my ancient little 40mm CopyScope.

This is my little CopyScope. It is made from a surplus photocopier lens and I used it for many years to observe satellites. Note the sophisticated atl/az scales on the tripod. The 'tube' was made from black foam core art board that was notched, rolled into a tube, joined with hot-melt glue, and water proofed with clear shipping tape.

All this is the fun part of the hobby ! Nice little scope !

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
      #6256938 - 12/16/13 08:03 PM

Quote:

John,

It is a 25 inch Obsession. I consider the great outdoors my observatory..

I posted the photo to show that even one could setup a scope in 5-10 minutes, it is still far from being Grab and Go.. To me, grab and go means I don't have to think, I just grab it and go.

Jon

Peter D.

Reged: 02/09/12

Loc: Central New York
      #6260955 - 12/18/13 09:32 PM

How about the ETX125? Great sharpness and contrast; works great for both Deep Sky and Planetary. It's got lots of aperture for the small size and weight, and GoTo is a bonus! The stock tripod is pretty shakey at full extension, but it's not bad if you don't extend it: I use a folding chair!

nicknacknock
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/20/12

Loc: In a galaxy far far away...
Re: Grab and Go new [Re: Peter D.]
      #6263704 - 12/20/13 12:57 PM Attachment (23 downloads)

And here's my favorite rig for grab n' go in Double Star hunting mode.

Alternatively, I lose everything and just stick a binoviewer for sneak views of the planets and moon.

Starman81
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/08

Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA
Re: Grab and Go new [Re: nicknacknock]
      #6264775 - 12/21/13 02:53 AM

That's pretty cool! I like the dual-finder stalk, how has worked in the field? Any issues with weight distribution? Is it a pain to have to line up 2 finders each time out instead of 1?

nicknacknock
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/20/12

Loc: In a galaxy far far away...
Re: Grab and Go new [Re: Starman81]
      #6264811 - 12/21/13 04:50 AM

It works out great actually. The RDF stays pretty much aligned. It's the finderscope that needs alignment every time due to the way I store it.

No stability issues except that I have to slide the scope forward as all the weight is at the back. However as I use a long dovetail clamp (6") I have room to spare!

I found this the easiest way forward as I need both a RDF and a RACI finder scope. I don't like straight through finder scopes so I need something to get me in the general vicinity (RDF), then something to center the field of view (finder scope) and then look through the eyepiece.

I did not think that this Orion dual stalk would be so well constructed and there is no flex or instability from mounting stuff on it. Obviously some serious thinking was put into this product.

obin robinson
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/25/12

Loc: League City, TX
Re: Grab and Go new [Re: Philler]
      #6264862 - 12/21/13 06:42 AM

Quote:

My definition of grab 'n go... Can you set up pretty easily at your DSS without disturbing others, and in less than 15 or 20 minutes, and in the dark, and no white light, just a dim red flashlight?

It's interesting to see what people define as "grab-and-go" because I wouldn't even consider 15 minutes to be on the extreme end of grab-and-go. 20 minutes is what it takes to set up my Starfinder 10", balance, polar align, and start observing. If I told people who were looking for a grab-and-go setup to buy a 10" Newtonian on a GEM then everyone here would think I was crazy.

My definition is if I can pick the scope up and have it outside and observing an object pretty much instantly. 20 minutes? If it took me that long to set up a grab-and-go telescope then the satellite would already have flown over and would be almost 8,000 miles over the horizon. Grab and go would translate into "I would have grabbed the scope and the object would have been long gone."

An ST-80 on a camera tripod is my grab-and-go setup. I grab it with one hand easily and go outside to observe the sky. If it takes you longer than 30 seconds at home or at a dark sky site then that's just way too long for me.

obin

Heitman
sage

Reged: 01/26/07

Loc: Reeds, NC
Re: Grab and Go new [Re: obin robinson]
      #6264949 - 12/21/13 09:06 AM

Agreed.

Alfonso

Reged: 12/31/11

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Re: Grab and Go new [Re: Heitman]
      #6265260 - 12/21/13 01:10 PM Attachment (18 downloads)

G&G is simply a telescope that one can pick up carry out and set up in no time. Your chair, tables, accessories come later in the next minute and then voila !!! you're ready to go.
Here's my GnG: my first and most favorite telescope, a Stellarvue 80mm f9. In 30 seconds it's out in the backyard and I'm ready to go. G n G !!!

Alfonso

ggalilei
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/01/11

Loc: Kentucky
Re: Grab and Go new [Re: Alfonso]
      #6265435 - 12/21/13 02:47 PM Attachment (24 downloads)

I think so too. My wife and I love G & G; we simply take the scope out to the deck and observe right away. Here's the line-up, at 9 lbs, 16, 20, and 29, left to right, complete systems as shown.
Apologies for including the 5" reflector!
Tonino

LDW47
professor emeritus

Re: Grab and Go new [Re: ggalilei]
      #6265561 - 12/21/13 03:59 PM

Quote:

I think so too. My wife and I love G & G; we simply take the scope out to the deck and observe right away. Here's the line-up, at 9 lbs, 16, 20, and 29, left to right, complete systems as shown.
Apologies for including the 5" reflector!
Tonino

What a nice stable of scopes, lucky you and your wife. It looks like you have a nice wide open viewing area, how is it ?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, panhard, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7456

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics