Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
davebuechler
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/21/11

Loc: Red River Gorge Kentucky
Re: Slo Mo ... Go or No - Alt Az Manual operation new [Re: herrointment]
      #6214037 - 11/24/13 08:54 PM

Thanks Herronintment. That is the FTQ and the mount that I am getting. There is a new one called the Stellar Hitch planned for late 2013 early 2014.

You can find reference to it on the Nova Hitch Yahoo Group. It will have slo motion controls and is more similar to the Nova albeit scaled down a bit.
The Stellar Hitch will be manual only and have no electronic tracking.

I would put a link here to the Yahoo Group but don't know how and would copy and paste the language from the Yahoo site, but don't know if it is allowed?

Edited by davebuechler (11/24/13 08:58 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Quintessence
Vendor

Reged: 06/03/07

Loc: Austin, Texas
Re: Slo Mo ... Go or No - Alt Az Manual operation [Re: davebuechler]
      #6214135 - 11/24/13 09:46 PM

To clarify, the Stellar Hitch is projected for late 2014 or early 2015. It will first appear in VERY limited numbers to test the market to see if full production is warranted.

Charles

davebuechler
professor emeritus

Re: Slo Mo ... Go or No - Alt Az Manual operation new [Re: Quintessence]
      #6214225 - 11/24/13 10:58 PM

Thanks Charles. Sorry about that

Kunama
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/22/12

Re: Slo Mo ... Go or No - Alt Az Manual operation new [Re: davebuechler]
      #6214425 - 11/25/13 03:14 AM

That FTQ is a very nice looking mount, might be just the thing for my FS60CB
What tripods can be used with it?

riverlaw

Reged: 06/09/10

Re: Slo Mo ... Go or No - Alt Az Manual operation new [Re: Kunama]
      #6214791 - 11/25/13 10:25 AM

The FTQ connects to tripods that use a 3/8-16 screw. So a bunch of camera tripods and berlebach tripods offer that connection method. Also discmounts uses that set up.

Paul Schroeder

Reged: 06/05/03

Re: Slo Mo ... Go or No - Alt Az Manual operation new [Re: BrianG]
      #6216920 - 11/26/13 10:55 AM

Quote:

With past mount I preferred slow motion controls. I binoview exclusively and getting the right balance/friction is critical. It always involved devising counter weights to off set the viewers.

The two axis balancing (no more counter weights) and slow motion controls is what intrigued me about the Nova Hitch. The results are nothing short of amazing. Perfect balance, close to zero damp time. The scope/binoviewers just seem to be floating in air.

Brian

This has certainly been my experience as well. For many years now I've used a Wimberley mount. It has some shortcomings (a bit pricey, and not exactly designed for telescopes) but it long ago mastered making it easy to balance scopes on both axes.

Once properly balanced I've not felt any need for slow-motion controls. With practice, I can re-balance the mount for any change in eyepiece in just a few seconds. I currently use it with a Skywatcher 100ED, and it works superbly.

Quite a few years ago I wrote a review of this for CN, see link below:

http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=865

Best regards,

Paul

bdg

Reged: 10/31/13

Re: Slo Mo ... Go or No - Alt Az Manual operation new [Re: Paul Schroeder]
      #6217608 - 11/26/13 04:49 PM

I'm in the market for an ALT-AZ mount and considering FTQ, one its uber expensive but I believe US made tag and probably attention to detail does make the price tag justifiable.

But its also light weight, something like 3Lbs, If I decide to buy it my ES 102ED which weights 15Lbs with accessories including ES 100* 20mm EP will be on the heavy side, while its a good thing for smaller scopes bad for some of us using one scope as an all purpose scopes. Thoughts?

davebuechler
professor emeritus

Re: Slo Mo ... Go or No - Alt Az Manual operation new [Re: bdg]
      #6217916 - 11/26/13 07:21 PM

Hi bdg

I didn't mean for this to turn into a thread about Half Hitch telescope mounts but no worries.

Frankly I think the price is a steal for a all CNC'd mount with thrust bearings manufactured to the highest standards and tight tolerances that produces no slop. Anyway, expensive, cheap, reasonable..... they are all relative. Like hot, cold, young or old. Depends on your perspective.

The FTQ is a light weight mount and I will be using a heavier scope than you. I am advised that my scope is on the upper end of the capabilities but I am certainly not worried if it will hold the weight. Weight is only part of the factor.
Until I get a chance to try it, I don't know how it will work for me and my set up.

They are producing another mount called the FTX that is designed to be a load hauler. It is supposed to weigh in around 8 lbs. If you are worried about the load weight, maybe you should consider the FTX?

What I have learned is that some of us (ME for sure) are using unbalanced mounts and setting higher friction than necessary to allow swapping between heavy and light ep's during veiwing that further imbalance the load. The slo mo controls become necessary to overcome the significant imbalance and heavy friction to permit it to track. It works but there has to be a better way.... I am in search of

I have found Charles to be very receptive and responsive to email and suggest you mail him directly with your questions or concerns.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
17 registered and 41 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1138

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics