Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Outreach

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Skylook123
Postmaster

Reged: 04/30/05

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Grand Canyon Star Party - June 21-June 28 2014
      #6225382 - 11/30/13 03:08 PM

The 24th annual Grand Canyon Star Party (GCSP) will be held the nights of June 21 through 28, 2014, in northern Arizona's Grand Canyon National Park. GCSP is an annual collaboration between the National Park Service and astronomers from around North America to bring astronomy outreach to Park visitors.

Amateur astronomers with a telescope and love of the sky to share, and the interested public of all ages, are invited to experience the beautiful Arizona nights in an exploration of the heavenly Grand Canyon skies. Not an astronomer? Drop in for an unforgettable and fabulous vacation for families, singles, and seniors.

GCSP will be held concurrently on both the North and South Rims. Visitors to the park are free to show up at their leisure, and observe through any or all telescopes. Astronomers choosing to set up for the event need to register in advance with the appropriate coordinator below. The South Rim can accommodate 80 or more telescopes, and we have not had to limit South Rim attendance thus far. The dozen or so North Rim slots on the Lodge veranda, however, usually are accounted for by the end of February.

In general, volunteer astronomers are responsible for securing their own lodging, and, due to the nature of the venues for both rims, telescopes generally need to be set up and taken down each night. Please see the North Rim site for unique arrangements for that venue.

Web sites and contact information are shown below. Please contact Steve for the North Rim, or me for the South Rim, if you are interested in attending or for questions you might have.

North Rim
Grand Canyon Star Party - North Rim
Steve Dodder
Coordinator, North Rim, Grand Canyon Star Party
53750 W. Prickley Pear Rd.
Maricopa, AZ 85239
E-mail: fester00 [at] hotmail.com
Phone:602-390-0118

Grand Canyon Star Party - North Rim

South Rim
Grand Canyon Star Party - South Rim
Jim O’Connor
Coordinator, South Rim, Grand Canyon Star Party
P.O. Box 457
Cortaro, AZ 85652
E-mail: gcsp [at] tucsonastronomy.org
Phone: 520 546-2961

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
seawolfe
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/26/13

Loc: N 47.11.23 W 122.20.18
Re: Grand Canyon Star Party - June 21-June 28 2014 new [Re: Skylook123]
      #6226675 - 12/01/13 10:31 AM

Shouldn't this be in the Astronomy Star Parties group?

Skylook123
Postmaster

Re: Grand Canyon Star Party - June 21-June 28 2014 new [Re: seawolfe]
      #6226876 - 12/01/13 12:00 PM

GCSP is a high intensity public outreach event, with the astronomer participants serving as National Park Service volunteer Interpretive Rangers generating as many as 70,000 visitor contacts over the eight days and nights of the even, so about three years ago we started putting it into this forum to limit the confusion that sometimes would come up about the purpose of the event.

I put a link to this location in the Astronomy Clubs and Star Parties forum.

skyward_eyes
Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

Reged: 12/12/06

Loc: California
      #6241525 - 12/08/13 08:35 PM

Looking forward to this once again. All booked for this as well. I will have a newly acquired Coronado double stack 90 for solar this coming year!

Skylook123
Postmaster

Re: Grand Canyon Star Party - June 21-June 28 2014 new [Re: skyward_eyes]
      #6241629 - 12/08/13 09:28 PM

I think I'll be napping then!

I've had some good luck with live video, and we should have quite a group at the front of the lot for the eyeball and walking challenged.

skyguy88
sage

Reged: 11/13/06

Loc: Prescott, AZ
      #6241899 - 12/09/13 12:45 AM

Quote:

I think I'll be napping then!

I've had some good luck with live video, and we should have quite a group at the front of the lot for the eyeball and walking challenged.

.....and everyone else who really want to see all those cool things up there
http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

Bill

skyward_eyes
Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

#6244332 - 12/10/13 09:39 AM

Jim,

The video rigs were quite a hit last year. I think it was be a mistake not to have it this coming year. Its a great addition to the visual experience.

Skylook123
Postmaster

#6245397 - 12/10/13 06:09 PM

Most of the time last year, my granddaughter Karina ran the scope while I was in the theater working with the night talk. On Saturday night, I had left the whole setup aligned the night befor to not have to go through all the fuss that was taking Karina so long to get going. Since she had a headache Saturday night, my wife Susan ran the setup and had 400 visitors in two hours!

This year it looks like we'll have at least six live video setups present, probably more. Eyeball at the eyepiece still grabs the personal feeling for the observer, but the live video helped at least four wheelchair or visually impaired folks every night last year. Nice augmentation, and we might try to get an image each night to post on the Grand Canyon's web site.

Skylook123
Postmaster

#6530798 - 05/17/14 12:24 PM

OK, all you outreach gurus, and not so gurus, who plan to be in the area next month, the Grand Canyon Star Party is about five weeks away.

For a great time opening the universe to thousands of visitors, sign up and join us for one night, all eight nights, or anything in between. See the first post in this thread for information.

Mickey_C
sage

Reged: 04/27/05

Loc: AZ
      #6533821 - 05/19/14 09:25 AM

Jim,

Are they mailing the volunteer packets soon?

Mike

Skylook123
Postmaster

Re: Grand Canyon Star Party - June 21-June 28 2014 new [Re: Mickey_C]
      #6536779 - 05/20/14 06:07 PM

I have to wait until I get all the formal information and guidance from the Park, and they usually hold off until three weeks or so before the event so they don't have to back-track on anything, and so they have a handle on how the fire danger and other unique circumstances are going.

Our NPS Interpretive Ranger for the event just got back today from her fourth furlough since last year, so she'll be getting me the information soon and I'll get it out as soon as I can.

Megabusa
professor emeritus

Reged: 05/28/12

Loc: Page ,AZ
      #6538709 - 05/21/14 05:18 PM

To bad for me I wont be able to go I live so close to , and I know some of the people that runs the N.Rim , I use to work for Forever Resorts , Maybe next time

skyward_eyes
Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

#6539448 - 05/22/14 09:05 AM

Looking forward to this once again. I will be bringing some of my solar stuff this year. Make sure to stop by the visitor center during the day for a view!

Skylook123
Postmaster

Re: Grand Canyon Star Party - June 21-June 28 2014 new [Re: Megabusa]
      #6544354 - 05/25/14 12:58 AM

Quote:

To bad for me I wont be able to go I live so close to , and I know some of the people that runs the N.Rim , I use to work for Forever Resorts , Maybe next time

Sure hope so. The more, the merrier. I have the same problem in the opposite direction; I want to head over to Page and Antelope Canyon during GCSP, but never seem to have the time. My wife has dozens of great pictures she's taken on a couple of our trips to Antelope, but that was before I was coordinating GCSP.

Hope you can drop in as a volunteer, or even a visitor.

Skylook123
Postmaster

#6544357 - 05/25/14 01:04 AM

Quote:

Looking forward to this once again. I will be bringing some of my solar stuff this year. Make sure to stop by the visitor center during the day for a view!

Great, Kevin. I'll be trying to cover the VC early in the week until you get there. I'm really getting some great performance out of the plain vanilla LS60-THa/B600 on live video.

azpalmer

Reged: 06/11/09

Loc: Arizona
      #6545710 - 05/25/14 10:08 PM

Jim, do we have a new t-shirt design this year?

Also, it looks like our RLD group will have between 8-10 scopes coming when we arrive on Wed.

Skylook123
Postmaster

Re: Grand Canyon Star Party - June 21-June 28 2014 new [Re: azpalmer]
      #6545792 - 05/25/14 11:01 PM

Jim,

Joe has taken a hiatus from logos for the time being; he has given us permission to reuse the library of great creations he has provided in the past, so our t-shirt committee had some reviews within the club and we will have one from the past, with a slightly different background color since the recommended "desert tan" shade has disappeared, as we found in a nationwide search to find enough shirts. Beginning next year, we'll be having a contest for a design, for which we are still working out the mechanics.

Registrations so far are a bit below prior years, but I think the fact we will have a half-dozen live video imagers in the gang will more than compensate for a few less OTAs. Thanks to the RLD attending, we'll still end up being the A-Team of outreach! And several new, tremendous outreach speakers will be present for the night talks. Monsoon better hold off!!

azpalmer

Reged: 06/11/09

Loc: Arizona
      #6545814 - 05/25/14 11:27 PM

I too hope the monsoons will hold off until after the star party. I know late June is hard to predict for weather.

Once you & Marker connect, let me know where you want our group to setup when we come in. The bottom end of the parking lot worked well for us last year; but as in the past we can make the upper lot work as well.

BRCoz
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/21/05

Loc: Moreno Valley, CA
Re: Grand Canyon Star Party - June 21-June 28 2014 new [Re: azpalmer]
      #6591584 - 06/19/14 09:37 PM

I am getting my gear ready. This will be my first time attending. I have waited for years to come enjoy the fun of sharing the night sky with others. I will see you on Sunday.

Skylook123
Postmaster

Re: Grand Canyon Star Party - June 21-June 28 2014 new [Re: BRCoz]
      #6591674 - 06/19/14 10:33 PM

Great! National Weather Service is predicting late monsoon, with a wet winter for the Southwest like an El Nino cycle. Lookin' good for weather.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3558

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics