Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoviewers

Pages: 1
Dubboy
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/05/05

Loc: Western Kentucky
Williams Optics BV
      #6226009 - 11/30/13 09:58 PM

Hello all,
Wondering if anyone has used a Williams Optics bino-viewer with an AT 106LE ?
I need to know if it will come to focus out-of-the-box or if I need extra correctors and whatnot.
Thanks for any info...
Don

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Messyone
professor emeritus

Reged: 05/02/12

Loc: Down Under
Re: Williams Optics BV new [Re: Dubboy]
      #6226416 - 12/01/13 05:05 AM

Looking at a pic of your scope I reckon yes a 1.6X OCS should work. I don't have your scope though. If you have a 2X Barlow remove the 1.6 and put in the Barlow and it would most certainly work. Never had a scope that didn't work with at most a 2x Barlow.
Matt

Messyone
professor emeritus

Re: Williams Optics BV new [Re: Messyone]
      #6226418 - 12/01/13 05:09 AM

I should add that I do use the 2x Barlow on really good nights to boost the magnification. Brings my 12mm WA's to 5-6mm mono equivalent but better as it two eyed!

Dubboy
Carpal Tunnel

#6226608 - 12/01/13 09:49 AM

Thanks, Matt (from"Down Under"). I do have a 2x barlow if the 1.6 doesn't work.

How about your 10" f4.8 ? Does the WO BV work with it?
I have a 12" f/4.93 dob and a Lunt Solar 60 f/8.33 that I'd like to use also...but the AT106 is first priority.

The WO BV is on sale until tomorrow for $235

REC
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: NC
      #6227156 - 12/01/13 01:56 PM

The 1.6x that comes with it probably will need to be screwed in before the diagonal to work ok.

It don't work in my 10" f/5 Dob at all.

Dubboy
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Williams Optics BV new [Re: REC]
      #6227216 - 12/01/13 02:22 PM

Thanks for the info, REC

Messyone
professor emeritus

#6227353 - 12/01/13 03:43 PM

Don the WO's work fine in my Newt. I can get focus without the OCS too. The diagonal is 63mm which according to Newt is 25%. The other diagonal I have and just put in yesterday is slightly smaller at 60mm. The Orion Optics UK does have a lot of back focus and in mono mode with a 2.7" Feather Touch focuser I need a 50mm extension tube to reach focus.
The OOUK isn't your average Newt though.
Matt

Dubboy
Carpal Tunnel

#6227526 - 12/01/13 05:12 PM

Quote:

Don the WO's work fine in my Newt. I can get focus without the OCS too. The diagonal is 63mm which according to Newt is 25%. The other diagonal I have and just put in yesterday is slightly smaller at 60mm. The Orion Optics UK does have a lot of back focus and in mono mode with a 2.7" Feather Touch focuser I need a 50mm extension tube to reach focus.
The OOUK isn't your average Newt though.
Matt

Thanks, Matt...I was just reading about a fella here on CN that uses his WO BV's with a 10" classic dob. He places the supplied 1.6x Barlow on an extension tube and then screws the extension onto the nosepiece of the BV.thus placing the barlow farther into the focuser.
Sound like there's some options out there for my 12" dob.
I just ordered the WO BVs before the sale ends, so I guess I can expect cruddy weather for the next week

Thanks again to all for your input. I will post my results when I get a chance to test it out.

Eddgie
Postmaster

Reged: 02/01/06

#6228599 - 12/02/13 08:54 AM

The only way you usually know with telelescopes and binoviewers is to try it.

I would think that 1.6x would be a bit to little for Newts, The Baader Newtonian 1.7x worked for me, but I had to change the focuser.

The problem you will have is that these barlows when used with extensions may reduce the apture of the system.

With a binoviewer, the light path is so long that the outside of the cone cannot make it though the complete lengh of the binoviewer, so the result is that the apeture of the scope gets reduced, and the off axis illumination falls.

This is why is is a better idea to use an OCS that was designed for use with refelctors.

Even the standard Denk OCS is not a good choice for reflectors faster than about f/5. I think it has a 38mm apeture. The sell a 45mm OCS as an option for the Binotron (also available for the Denk) and this works for on axis, but there is still a lot of light falloff off axis (though some of this depends on the exact configuration.

So, while it may be possible to get it to work, with extensions to the provided OCS, it may not work well.

This is why I stroungly recommend that people get either a Denk with 45mm OCS or a Maxbright/Binovue/Mark V with the Baader Newt 1.7 GPC if they plan on using them in a faster Newt.

So, not saying it won't work, but there is almost always some compromise.

I would not worry about this yet. Get them and use them in the refractor, and just see if you like using them.

Then of course try them in the Newt, but be sure to measure your actual aperture and your off axis illumination (Both are easy to do).

If you find that they are not giving good performance in the Newt, but you decide that you really love binoviewing, you can then move to something like the Binotron, used Denk II, or Maxbright with Newt GPC. Something that will work really well in all your scopes...

Dubboy
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Williams Optics BV new [Re: Eddgie]
      #6228721 - 12/02/13 10:12 AM

Thanks, EDDGIE !
You're expertise is very much appreciated !!
The WO's are on the way and I'll try them out on the AT106 and they may even work on the Lunt 60. That alone will make me happy and, if I get hooked on the binoviewing, I can worry about the dob later.

Dubboy
Carpal Tunnel

#6247789 - 12/11/13 08:13 PM

Just a quick update:
The W.O. Binoviewers came last week, just in time for the big ice storm, so I did a little daytime testing. Focusing, merging, etc.
Tonight is verrry cold and windy but I couldn't just sit indoors. Curiosity was getting the best of me so I rolled out the AT106 and plopped in the W.O.'s.
NO focus without the 1.6 barlow but had success with it and a 1 1/4 diagonal.
WOW!!! The reviews on BV's are right. A "flying in space" feeling. I decided to try my 2" barlow with no luck in the 1 1/4" diagonal so I tried it with a 2" diagonal. It came to focus and the magnified view was awesome. Keep in mind that this is all happening in cold windy conditions and my drive turned off.
Can't wait to try it under warmer conditions. Anxious to try in on the planets and clusters.
Thanks again to all that helped with my decision to give binoviewing a try.

Eddgie
Postmaster

Reged: 02/01/06

#6247820 - 12/11/13 08:34 PM

Ah, good to hear that you were able to reach focus, and even better was that you "got it" on your first use.

Many people that try it do not take to it, but for others, they never want to go back to monoviewing.

Danger, it is a slippery slope.

But the views on the way to the bottom of the hill are amazing.

I'll never do planets without a BV again, and thee days I am doing 95% of all viewing with BVs.

Look forward to your next report when you have had a chance to try more targets.

Remember, a little less power is your friend. It will keep things bright.

So happy that your first look was a good one!

Dubboy
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Williams Optics BV new [Re: Eddgie]
      #6247837 - 12/11/13 08:44 PM

Thanks Eddgie,
Forgot to mention that it was the moon I was observing (but that is pretty much a given tonight) The 1.6x gave the perfect mag for taking in the whole landscape. As you say, I'm guessing that the 1.6x will give a good view of Jupiter and the 2x may cut back on the brightness too much. We'll see...come on warmer temps!

Messyone
professor emeritus

#6248334 - 12/12/13 04:41 AM

Onya Don!
I remember looking at Jupiter with 15mm GSO Superviews last year with a 2X Barlow for a couple of hours as Io transited another Moon appeared round the rim and the GRS was visible too!!!! So easy in Bino's.
Seriously you are off and running….it need not be expensive either.
Enjoy what you have…I still do.
Cheers
Matt

Dubboy
Carpal Tunnel

#6249931 - 12/12/13 09:25 PM

Hi Matt,
Will give Jupiter a try as soon as it warms up a bit.
I did get the Lunt solar scope out this afternoon to give it a try with the BV.
While setting it up and focusing it in mono mode, the solar disc was surrounded by a red cloud...hmm...upon checking the blocking filter, I found that one lens had a cloudy milky film on it. Apparently, this has been a problem with some of the blocking filters, so now I'm waiting for a response from Lunt.
Looks like it may be next week before I get a shot at Jupiter.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TG, Geo557 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 966

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics