Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: 1
mr_so

Reged: 11/18/13

Tracking after manual movement new
      #6225759 - 11/30/13 07:23 PM

I recently bought a 4se and I'm wondering whether when I manually move to an object/star does the tracking continue working or will it only track objects selected via the menus? I can't find any info about this in the manual..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/24/10

Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollut...
Re: Tracking after manual movement new [Re: mr_so]
      #6225808 - 11/30/13 07:43 PM

Once you have successfully aligned the scope it will track where ever you point it.

panhardModerator
It's All Good

Reged: 01/20/08

Loc: Markham Ontario Canada
Re: Tracking after manual movement new [Re: hopskipson]
      #6225818 - 11/30/13 07:50 PM

Welcome mr_so.. I hope you find your time here well spent. We are a friendly bunch here. Just remember that there aren't any foolish questions. If you have any questions I am sure that the members here will do their best to answer them.

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortl...
Re: Tracking after manual movement [Re: mr_so]
      #6226070 - 11/30/13 10:34 PM

Quote:

I recently bought a 4se and I'm wondering whether when I manually move to an object/star does the tracking continue working or will it only track objects selected via the menus? I can't find any info about this in the manual..

Hi mr_so and welcome to the forum!

If by "manually move", you mean using the arrow keys on the handset, then yes it will track after that ... assuming it has been previously aligned.

Keep in mind you can't truly move the scope by hand except in the altitude direction. The azimuth direction has no clutch so it can only be moved under power using the arrow keys. But, if you move the scope by physically pushing it in the altitude direction, then it will lose its alignment and you'll have to realign before it will correctly track again.

-Dan

mr_so

Reged: 11/18/13

Re: Tracking after manual movement new [Re: Midnight Dan]
      #6227584 - 12/01/13 05:47 PM

Thanks for the quick replies and the welcomes, by moving it manually I do mean with the handset not literally moving it with my hands

Brian RisleyModerator
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/04/06

Loc: SW Florida
Re: Tracking after manual movement new [Re: mr_so]
      #6227641 - 12/01/13 06:12 PM

Asking about manual movement (by hand) is important. For example, the CPC has manual clutches one can release and manually move the telescope without using the hand control. That will totally mess up an alignment. Same holds true of the CG-5 and the newer GEM's too. If using an automated system, never move the scope by hand (even when doing a GEM polar alignment where it asks you to move the mount. You move the mount head in that situation, not the telescope on the mount.) Very few mounts have encoders separate of the motors which can keep track of the manual movements.
Brian

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 255

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics