Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Observatories

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
scopefreak
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/14/04

Loc: Mayslick KY
Re: Another Arrow Shed Observatory new [Re: silverking]
      #6226453 - 12/01/13 06:34 AM

Look at it this way, once you get all the gear installed in the OBS, it makes for a nice place to go and just look AT your telescope.

I find myself doing that quite often on those long cold winter cloudy days and nights.

Really like the construction of you OBS. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
hm insulators
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/22/07

#6233158 - 12/04/13 12:07 PM

Too bad you can't load your observatory onto a truck and drive it down to Arizona! The clouds and rain will follow you and we could sure use it, seeing as how we're in a major drought.

silverking

Reged: 03/11/08

Loc: Canada
Re: Another Arrow Shed Observatory new [Re: hm insulators]
      #6233399 - 12/04/13 01:39 PM

I spend an inordinate amount of time on Google Maps looking around Southern Arizona and dreaming of having some wide-open property down that way.

I know the grass is always greener.

It's intriguing how the dark-sky, sparsely populated corners of Southern Arizona are also the very nicely priced areas when looking at un-serviced 10 to 20 acre parcels.

I frequently look around to the far South and West of Gila Bend. Not really too far from city life, yet dark blue, grey or black zones.

......and a guy does need a winter get away spot

(meanwhile, I'll be content to enjoy my current location and new observatory!).

silverking

#6234391 - 12/04/13 10:46 PM

For anybody that might be interested, here's an FYI as to what it might cost to do something similar with an Arrow shed, these are some of the numbers I ran up:

2 X 4’s and 4 X 4’s and plywood as required - $354.83
Redi-rod, nuts and washers for mount cage - $111.37
Assorted sealants - $70.00
Stain and side trim boards, side roller weather boards - $94.94
Assorted wiping strips and other weather stripping - $114.38
12V power supply and wiring/distribution to pier - $120.57
Red LED rope light for interior - $27.99
Assorted screws for assembly - $47.99
Dimmer and LED task lighting - $29.58
Mr. Heater propane heater - $80.00
Heavy tarp for roof cover - $40.00
Interlocking 1/2” rubber floor tiles - 55.95

And the 8 X 10 Arrow shed was $240.00 on an end-of-season super sale price.

So I’m into it to date for:
TOTAL - $1387.60

There's probably another $150.00 or so in miscellaneous things, like the Post Haste cement for the pier, and other items I've lost the receipts for.

That's got it to lock-up with a pier, electricity, weather-proofed, and with a fully functional rolling roof.
There’s probably a couple hundred more bucks to completion.

Note that I have long owned all the actual telescope hardware and software, mount, scope, guiding scope and guide ccd, bunch of eyepieces dew control ,remote focuser, etc……as well as a couple of laptops and an iPad I’m planning on using out in the observatory………so none of those kinds of costs are going to be added to the project.

If the metal shed observatory happens to match your idea of what your observatory might look like, it’s still far and away the least expensive method of getting an actual fully enclosed observatory building into your back yard.

Although (as noted in an earlier post) I’m absolutely not a carpenter, I’d rate the difficulty of constructing a metal shed with a roll off roof about 7 out of 10. You have to truly understand how to maintain square throughout a building project.
Adding the modifications for the roll off roof makes maintaining square even more important.
These Arrow sheds are hard enough to make all the screw holes line up, and losing square at any point in your project will result in either the Arrow shed itself not assembling properly, and/or the roll off roof assembly not running true.

Although the Arrow instructions don’t offer any solution if you should get out of square, the obvious solution would be that you would have to disassemble what you had built so far, and start from scratch…..this would be a somewhat painful thing to have to do.

Tools I had and used were a mitre saw, a table saw, a 3/8” corded drill, a Black and Decker Workmate (the Workmate being the best investment you can make for home projects) and assorted hand tools of the normal variety.

I started this all in mid-October, and did the majority of the work in three very long weekends, working a full 8 hours on each Saturday and Sunday. Add to that a few 4 to 6 hour days after those three grunt weekends, and you get roughly 55 hours or so put into getting the observatory as far as is shown in the previous pictures.

ZeroID
sage

Reged: 04/21/10

Loc: Auckland, New Zealand
      #6236171 - 12/05/13 08:38 PM

Excellent work, I have a 'tin shed' solution for my Ob as well and have will try your roof idea with the tarp to solve my small leakage problems.

silverking

Re: Another Arrow Shed Observatory new [Re: ZeroID]
      #6236400 - 12/05/13 11:19 PM

I figured I could spend the coming months chasing down leaks, or just put the tarp on and be done with it.

These tarps don't last forever, but I should get 2 or 3 years out of it at least, at which time I'll remove the barge boards, pull the old tarp off, and put a new one on.
They're only about $40.00 each, and you can hit $40.00 with just 4 or 5 tubes of good exterior silicone........and with silicone one never seems to get all the leaks.
These types of sheds always seem to leak at the screw or bolt holes, of which there's hundreds

The option is always there to spend a fair bit more money and get a piece of Sunbrella waterproof rubber/canvas cloth, commonly used for boat tops. That stuff can last 8 to 10 years out in the weather. I may do just that if I wind up using this observatory as much as I'm hoping to.

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
      #6236478 - 12/06/13 12:48 AM

Southwest of Gila Bend isn't the place to go. Try Sun Sites to the south of Willcox.

-Rich

silverking

Re: Another Arrow Shed Observatory new [Re: Starhawk]
      #6236539 - 12/06/13 02:26 AM

That's my kind of country Rich, and the darkest of dark skies to boot. Thanks for the tip.

Lowest price dark sky lots I've seen to date.

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
      #6237013 - 12/06/13 10:29 AM

I think the tarp is an excellent solution; and the way you have it installed, it looks like it came with the shed!

Congratulations on your new observatory!

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Re: Another Arrow Shed Observatory new [Re: csa/montana]
      #6237044 - 12/06/13 10:42 AM

A group of us need to set up a "Ranch". We could lease out a large portion of the land to the actual cattle or farming folks nearby, but the most important thing is it gives complete freedom to put up out buildings as needed.

-Rich

Starhawk
Space Ranger

#6237106 - 12/06/13 11:05 AM

I've been playing with a shipping container based transportable observatory. The idea is something which could be set up, and moved as a usable unit, and could be seriously locked up. I've finally found someone who does of heavy steel work, and I've started the discussion. I need to make a little model of it using an HO scale railway model shipping container. But I have found adequate wheels and track to make something rugged enough to survive a long service life and multiple moves.

And, of course, it's not the sort of unusual thing which attracts attention.

-Rich

silverking

#6269562 - 12/23/13 09:56 PM Attachment (28 downloads)

Although Christmas time (and short, dark days) tend to slow down observatory construction, it also happens to be a great time for big sales. In this case I found a bunch of those rubber interlocking floor tiles in a nice blue for the observatory floor. They were less than half what they usually cost so I took all the blue ones they had.

I also picked up everything I need to make the pier to mount adaptor. I choose 1/2" aluminum because its easy to work with, but still extremely rigid.
I'll keep the distance between the plates to just enough to get my hand in to tighten the mount down, and still offer up enough adjustment room.

The rest of the mount/pier adaptor is just 1/2" redi-rod cut to length, and 4 coach screws to bolt the whole assembly down to the top of the wooden pier.

silverking

#6322414 - 01/19/14 03:13 PM Attachment (16 downloads)

Finally got the pier to EQ6 plates made up, and the scope into the observatory. Got the rubber floor in place as well.

silverking

#6322421 - 01/19/14 03:15 PM Attachment (15 downloads)

Run-off supports haven't settled too much in the wet weather, and roof runs nice and smooth.

silverking

#6322423 - 01/19/14 03:17 PM Attachment (13 downloads)

Scope fits quite nicely in this size building. I don't think I'd really want to go any smaller than this though.

silverking

#6322426 - 01/19/14 03:18 PM Attachment (13 downloads)

.....another angle.

silverking

#6322434 - 01/19/14 03:22 PM Attachment (18 downloads)

The overall "site" (my backyard) with the roof open and scope.

Next on the agenda is to figure out some sort of storage for eyepieces and such. I've pretty much decided I want to keep everything in the observatory, and won't really be moving stuff around that much.

I've got a completely different kit for outreach, so I'm thinking something like the drawer type mechanics metal toolbox.

Weather has been pretty cloudy, and I've only really had one clear night - which I had to use to polar align the mount.

I'm pretty happy with the observatory so far, and it would be an understatement to say that there's no comparing just rolling the roof off to humping all this stuff outside and having to set it all up (and down again when done).

I'm glad I'm doing it now, in the winter....I'll be ready to go when the skies start to clear up more permanently in early Spring.

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/23/12

Loc: Southeast South Dakota,USA
      #6322447 - 01/19/14 03:29 PM

silverking ,first off ,great to hear things are working well for you. What's up,you are in Canada and yet no snow?
Thinking that these images must be from the Fall and not recent huh?

silverking

Re: Another Arrow Shed Observatory new [Re: tim57064]
      #6322468 - 01/19/14 03:38 PM

These pix are from today Tim!

I live in "Lotusland", in the Southwest corner of B.C., weather is like San Francisco here - but about 5 degrees F cooler.

We often go an entire Winter without a spec of snow.....but rain and clouds are plentiful.

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/23/12

Loc: Southeast South Dakota,USA
      #6322485 - 01/19/14 03:46 PM

What the frack,even Canada has better weather than South Dakota. Wife and I need to move to better climate,very sick of the winters here. Just went thru a blizzard this past week ,now 45 today.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Christopher Erickson, Joe C, Mr Greybush 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2428

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics