Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Equipment

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
pcguru2000

Reged: 04/01/11

Re: Starsense from High Point Scientific new [Re: core]
      #6223504 - 11/29/13 02:12 PM

Quote:

Sympathize with your experience, I've had my fair share of the same from various retailers of differing products. A couple of clarification though:

Quote:

.. So then I asked, why someone didn't call the phone # on the order to clear things up...

LIE #1 They never called. I checked with Visa and they said that they had no records of any company verifying any information that weekend or Monday and Tuesday. I verified with Visa that my ship to address was correct and they confirmed it was still on file.

Was the lie that they didn't call you, or didn't call the CC company? Also, I don't think CC's keep your shipping address - that's provided by the buyer.

Quote:

LIE#2. They said my phone # did not match the billing phone #. REALLY????? I confirmed this also with Visa.

Not matching # may be on the order input end, if the wrong number is input on the order end (since it was a phone order I presume) there's nothing to confirm with the CC company if it's bad data to begin with.

There can be a mountain of potential CC fraud daily, that usually if something is amiss, lots of (smaller) companies just ignore the order - no use wasting time especially when you can get inundated with 100's of fake CC orders.

Quote:

I told the person that I belong to one of the largest astronomy clubs in So Cal and that if could get this to me before my trip on Saturday, that would go a long way to mend fences around the issues of my order. The guy would not budge on trying to accommodate shipping. He just tried to add $60+ to the price

I'm sorry, but throwing around I'm so-and-so, I belong to so-and-so shouldn't grant anyone special treatment (in principle anyways ) - ship to me expedite and the seller absorbs all the cost? Overnight shipping can get expensive. Very expensive. And believe me, their margins on those products they are selling are quite thin as well.

I think this is an issue within the niche astronomy equipment retail; some retailers try and build up an order before placing one with their supplier - in which case they shouldn't have items as "in-stock", much less charge your CC first. I've only had experienced twice where my (astro) order took about a month to receive, I was given an email heads up about the delay, but price was good, and got the goods eventually - the main thing was I (I think ) knew what I was getting into.

I've come to view some astronomy item purchase in a slightly different light and prepare myself accordingly (fwiw, I just waited almost 3 weeks to get an invoice for an item that I need to pay in full before it's available to ship - in a couple of weeks) - or look for the right retailers

It was a lie that the ship to address didn't match the credit card info on file. I called the CC and they said it was on file. Furthermore, I had ordered something else with that CC to the same ship to address and had not issues.

I also checked with the CC and no one did any verification.

It was not a phone order, it was an order placed on the internet, minutes after I spoke to Robert on chat through the website.

I wasn't throwing names to get special treatment, I was allowing them to make a decision of accommodating the customer, based on my influence with future buyers of telescope equipment.

I partially agree with you. If the item was out of stock, and they said it was going to be in on Saturday, and now it was not in stock till Wednesday, I would have been more lenient. But making up silly excuses like, "we don't call the number if it's different", or "if the address doesn't match, we do nothing" is a perfect example of BAD CUSTOMER SERVICES. No matter how much chocolate you want to apply to a *BLEEP* sandwich, it's never going to taste good. LOL

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
pcguru2000

Re: Starsense from High Point Scientific new [Re: Aquarist]
      #6223509 - 11/29/13 02:15 PM

Quote:

In a small market place, I have learned to chill out and be patient. Life is too short. Finding an item in stock is difficult enough; expecting precise order execution, unless you have a "relationship" with your sales person at a vendor, may happen but it is unusual.

Except that I confirmed the item was in stock with Robert on Saturday, he promised item would arrive on Friday. If I had gotten an email on Monday or Tuesday telling me there was a problem, I would be posting right now. There's no excuse for the 1. The lies. 2. The lack of communication. 3. the "couldn't give a *BLEEP*" attitude.

pcguru2000

Re: Starsense from High Point Scientific new [Re: jag767]
      #6223522 - 11/29/13 02:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

In a small market place, I have learned to chill out and be patient. Life is too short. Finding an item in stock is difficult enough; expecting precise order execution, unless you have a "relationship" with your sales person at a vendor, may happen but it is unusual.

I'm sorry but I have to dissagree. No business has the right to hold someones money hostage without directly communicating the possible situation beforehand. That is bad business plain and simple. Unless I am told otherwise, if I order something on friday, it ships on Friday. And if for some reason it doesnt ship, it isnt enough to make me whole and give me what I should have had in the first place. You want your customer to feel you went aboove and beyond, ergo do somdthing on top of it. Give a discount, throw something else in, make the person feel like they matter.

That is what customer service excellence 'looks like'.

I totally agree. I hate the excuse of "it's a small business and we have to cut them some slack". The reason to order from a small business is the expectation that they are going to treat you as a valued customer, and differentiate themselves for the corporate scum that could care less.

I order items all the time from Amazon. Amazon has "made it right" on 3 different occasions. They even shipped out the item fedex overnight just to keep the business. Why is that? Because I order 2K of business from them every year! Amazon never blames the customer. They bend over backwards to make sure you are happy.

pcguru2000

Re: Starsense from High Point Scientific new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #6223540 - 11/29/13 02:28 PM

Quote:

I'd rate Highpoint Scientific among the top 2 or 3 vendors. I've ordered thousands of dollars worth of gear from them over the years without one single problem. I'd not hesitate to use them. In fact, they're well above popular retailers like OPT and Anacortes on my list. I put them up there with Astronomics and Agena. Figure I have about 30-40 retail astronomy transactions a year, so I deal with a LOT of retailers.

- Jim

Thanks for the heads up Jim! It was nice of you to look for a used one for me. If I buy it used I can't get the extended warranty from my credit card on the item. I also go ahead and pay about 5% of the price for a warranty that will last me 5 years instead of 2.

I don't want to deal with warranty issues since I'm not the original buyer on a $330 item. On something non electronic with no moving parts, sure, I'll go for that, especially if I'm buying something from an OCA club member. If I sold something to one of my fellow astro brothers, and it broke within a week, I would go out of my way to get the item repaired or replaced. I may not own a small business but my reputation is worth more to me than the money.

A good example of transactions that go well that don't result in customer service issue is Tiger Direct. I saw their reviews before I bought and they are the scum bags of the computer business as far as customer service. I bought several items from them and it came on time with none of the issues stated in reviews. Does that mean that they have good customer service or that they are an excellent vendor? I don't think so. It's good to know I'm protected from bad vendors with my credit card so that when issues come up, the big chargeback hammer comes down.

pcguru2000

Re: Starsense from High Point Scientific new [Re: B. Cook]
      #6223544 - 11/29/13 02:29 PM

Quote:

I have ordered quite a few items from High Point Scientific and have never had a problem. Shipped same day if you call early enough. Anytime I order from anybody I always ask them to check inventory and make sure Item is in stock. I see many mark their product in stock only after you order it especially on line and find out later it is not. Some are a little lax on updating there web sites. All in all I have been lucky and have had no problems with vendors so far. Thanks
--------------------------
Bill

I did check with Robert on Saturday that the item was in stock.

Here's the first line of my post...
"At first I was very impressed with this company that had customer service rep available to chat after hours on Saturday before thanks giving. Chatted up the rep and asked when would my package arrive. The rep said, November 28th which was thanksgiving. I verified with him that this is thanksgiving and he said, sorry the 29th. So, off I go to order the item."

rdandrea
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/13/10

Loc: Colorado, USA DM59ra
Re: Starsense from High Point Scientific new [Re: pcguru2000]
      #6223579 - 11/29/13 02:51 PM

When I was searching for a "budget" solar scope, I was torn between a Coronado PST and a Lunt 35. Of the dealers I called, High Point was willing to spend the most phone time with me and answered all my questions. When I finally chose the Lunt, I ordered it from High Point because I was grateful for the time they spent. I could have had it a week or two sooner if I had ordered directly from Lunt (Arizona->Colorado << Arizona->New Jersey->Colorado), but since Lunt was four months behind on orders at the time I figured an extra week or two wouldn't matter.

I try to be a careful shopper and I really appreciate people who spend time answering questions with no guarantee of a sale. That's what eventually got them the sale. One man's opinion, YMMV.

neilson
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/22/10

Re: Starsense from High Point Scientific [Re: rdandrea]
      #6226290 - 12/01/13 01:42 AM

The only problems I had with High Point Scientific was slow shipping but for the low prices on those items I just waited until they arrived. But I think there is no excuse for the way you were treated. UPS has been offering some stores a special extra cheap shipping offer and many stores give you that as free shipping. But its extra slow. I insist on USPS because UPS takes 7 days from California to Pleasanton, Tx. and the mail only takes 3 days plus delivers Saturdays.

Several items I bought from OPT and had problems and they were great taking care of them. I even had a problem with a manufacturers customer service dept. and complained to OPT and next thing someone from that companies upper management contacted me as well as one of their engineers. I have also had similar experiences with Astronomics. Both are great stores.
I use to buy direct from companies thinking that since they got all the profit they would treat me better until I had a problem and went through heck trying to get the manufacturer to fix it. Its always good to go through a good Telescope store so you have someone on your side if you need it.

It's good to find a good store with employees who care and are honest. If they don't treat me right the first time I wont go back. I hope everything works out for you.

Neilson

Widespread
professor emeritus

Reged: 05/11/11

Loc: Bowling Green, Kentucky
Re: Starsense from High Point Scientific new [Re: Jwemes]
      #6226452 - 12/01/13 06:32 AM

My guess: like many other businesses with significant seasonal fluctuations, they have hired a bunch of temporaries for the holiday crunch.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
9 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cbwerner, tecmage, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1222

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics