Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Beginning and Intermediate Imaging

Pages: 1
bstephens
journeyman

Reged: 11/18/13

Loc: Ok
Astrophotography , just some observations
      #6226325 - 12/01/13 02:22 AM

LOL I bet no one has made that joke!!!

I am going to purchase an AVX mount in the next week or so to start my astrophotography misson...I plan to start by doing some wide field stuff with my 5dMK3 and a Sigma 35mm 1.4 and moving up to my 70-200 2.8 IS with a few canon extender's that I have in my bag.

I understand that in the beginning I will not need an autoguider for the mount but eventually it would be nice to have one.

The next step would be a telescope, I am leaning towards a AT65EDQ 65mm f/6.5 ED quadruplet astrograph. (read a post on here and the guy swears I need one )

I have read about a StarSense AutoAlign but am not sure about it. The marketing material sound awesome!! Doesn't it always!!

I have read about CCD's but I am not sure I want to get that deep. I hope my 5D3 will get me far enough...in the process I might get a 5ti and get it modified...just not sure what the correct direction will be...I am still thinking...

Thanks to everyone...I have enjoyed reading on the forum and look forward to the comments to come.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Stargazer78
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/05/13

Loc: Susanville California
Re: Astrophotography , just some observations new [Re: bstephens]
      #6226440 - 12/01/13 06:07 AM

Welcome to the madness my friend!!!

CounterWeight
Postmaster

Reged: 10/05/08

Loc: Palo alto, CA.
      #6226448 - 12/01/13 06:21 AM

Hi bstephens,

Welcome to the forum here.

One thing is that your camera has a large imaging circle and you should see first if the scope(s) you are considering can accommodate it. This information may not be easy to come by, but the same as a good lens it should have a large flat imaging circle - I think 45mm a good minimum. Some scope can be helped with reducers or reducer / flatteners. You'll find (imaging circle)it's often a missing statistic - the 65Q advert as good with an APS-C sized chip which is a good bit smaller than the full frame of your 5dMKIII (a great DSLR by all I read, one that folks like to compare to) I mention this because I'm also looking for my Canon 6D. it should be a great camera to get started with and I though am a 'new user' can't recommend Backyard EOS enough! it is just a fantastic software for controlling and focusing the camera, though you need a laptop instead of an intervalometer. I'm very impressed with it.

You'll also want to learn about stacking programs like DSS (Deep Sky Stacker, it is freeware) for calibration and stacking of your sub exposures.

As far as that mount I have no experience but I think you have a lot of options as long as you keep the overall weight of the complete imaging rig reasonable to the mount carrying capacity.

obin robinson
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/25/12

Loc: League City, TX
      #6226463 - 12/01/13 06:55 AM

Quote:

I understand that in the beginning I will not need an autoguider for the mount but eventually it would be nice to have one.

For what it's worth I built my autoguiding camera using a webcam and a spare 50mm finder scope. It works perfectly and I am surprised at how I can still guide on much dimmer stars than what I previously thought possible. The webcam was $42 from Amazon and the finder scope was about $30 used. It took only one afternoon to put together and the difference after using it is significant.

obin

terry59
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/18/11

Loc: Colorado, USA
      #6226485 - 12/01/13 07:47 AM

Welcome to CN. There are lots of good people here that can help as you get started.

Raginar
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
Re: Astrophotography , just some observations new [Re: terry59]
      #6227815 - 12/01/13 07:51 PM

Same advice as always, CG-5, ED80, a DSLR, and a finder-guider rig.

Welcome to the forums!

bstephens
journeyman

Reged: 11/18/13

Loc: Ok
Re: Astrophotography , just some observations new [Re: Raginar]
      #6228105 - 12/01/13 10:36 PM

Thanks everyone for the replys, I'll start with the mount and move in step by step...CounterWeight I have "seen" the same lack of info regarding the 5D3 and astrophotography I am hoping the widefield stuff will be great with it and when I move to a scope I might have to get a used cropped sensor and modify it....obin are there some tutorials about making an autoguider with a webcam? Sounds interesting..hopefully ordering the mount next week...You would have thought I had it all ready visibility tonight is about 30 feet...I'm not really going to like that part of it all.

Thank you all for the warm welcome!

Edited by bstephens (12/01/13 11:05 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
10 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Knuklhdastrnmr, fishonkevin, WOBentley, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 334

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics