Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> General Observing and Astronomy

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)
BigC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/29/10

Loc: SE Indiana
Re: Grab and Go new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #6221428 - 11/28/13 01:07 PM

I was shocked to discover how much improvement there is just going from squarish aluminum legs to round steel ones.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
RobertED
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/11/03

Loc: Smithfield, RI
Re: Grab and Go new [Re: RobertED]
      #6222092 - 11/28/13 06:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

What about either Celestron Astromaster 90AZ refractor ....OR....the Celestron Cometron 114AZ reflector?????

.....gee, NO comments!!! I guess that answers my question!!!

...I guess you need to spend the 'big bucks!!!'.....

LDW47
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/04/12

Loc: north bay,ontario,canada
      #6222644 - 11/29/13 12:49 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

What about either Celestron Astromaster 90AZ refractor ....OR....the Celestron Cometron 114AZ reflector?????

.....gee, NO comments!!! I guess that answers my question!!!

...I guess you need to spend the 'big bucks!!!'.....

Right now COSTCO here in Canada has the 114AZ on for $150 but I don't know much about the scope !? It kind of looks like an older kids scope but go online and see how it reviews !

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/22/09

Re: Grab and Go new [Re: LDW47]
      #6223121 - 11/29/13 10:35 AM

Another good grab n go is the ES102 and Twilight 1 ...

RobertED
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/11/03

Loc: Smithfield, RI
Re: Grab and Go new [Re: CelestronDaddy]
      #6223489 - 11/29/13 02:04 PM

Black Friday, here in Rhode Island....I picked up a Celestron Powerseeker 114AZ reflector for 60% off.....paying only $60.00. Not a bad price regardless....I'll have to see the results for myself!!! thank you, LDW47.

Pinbout
Postmaster

Reged: 02/22/10

Loc: nj
      #6224154 - 11/29/13 08:35 PM

Here's another one hand grab and go. I paid $100 and sold the finder that came with it for half that. Of course for little money I couldn't help but tare it apart and rebuild it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FbL8KvbIxs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

gene 4181
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/12/13

Loc: n.e. ohio
Re: Grab and Go new [Re: Pinbout]
      #6224366 - 11/29/13 11:00 PM

its unfortunate that skywatcher and orion no longer sell the az 4 or versago mount with the tubular legs any more. if i'm not mistaken , only orion sells them with alum. legs now.

LDW47
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/04/12

Loc: north bay,ontario,canada
Re: Grab and Go new [Re: gene 4181]
      #6224376 - 11/29/13 11:09 PM

Quote:

its unfortunate that skywatcher and orion no longer sell the az 4 or versago mount with the tubular legs any more. if i'm not mistaken , only orion sells them with alum. legs now.

I know SkyWatcher still sell both as I am in the process of buying one or the other ! I just haven't decided which one !?

karstenkoch
sage

Reged: 04/21/12

Loc: GMT+9
Re: Grab and Go new [Re: LDW47]
      #6224550 - 11/30/13 02:51 AM

I define grab and go in terms of time rather than weight, size, effort, or distance. If I can be observing in 5 minutes, that's grab and go for me. I see grab and go scopes and travel scopes as having some overlap but not being the same in all respects.

My personal grab and go kit is an AT72ED, DSV-M mount, and heavy duty photo tripod. It sits in my living room. The only decision I typically have to make is which one eyepiece to drop in the focuser before moving it out into the veranda.

izar187
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/02/06

Loc: 43N
Re: Grab and Go new [Re: karstenkoch]
      #6224633 - 11/30/13 05:52 AM

Quote:

I define grab and go in terms of time rather than weight, size, effort, or distance. If I can be observing in 5 minutes, that's grab and go for me. I see grab and go scopes and travel scopes as having some overlap but not being the same in all respects.

That's it exactly.
Big scopes can indeed be grab and go too.
Specifically if stored at ambient temps.

newtoskies
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/15/12

Loc: SE Ma.
Re: Grab and Go new [Re: dpippel]
      #6224875 - 11/30/13 10:12 AM

When my XT6 is in the shed it's my GnG. I can lift it with one hand, set it anywhere in the yard and I am ready. I grab some ep's and stick them in my vest pockets before heading out.
I'd like to get one of those 70mm back pack refractors as a GnG for the road.

newtoskies
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/15/12

Loc: SE Ma.
      #6224885 - 11/30/13 10:19 AM

Quote:

Black Friday, here in Rhode Island....I picked up a Celestron Powerseeker 114AZ reflector for 60% off.....paying only $60.00. Not a bad price regardless....I'll have to see the results for myself!!! thank you, LDW47.

That's a great deal there. Was surfing the web and saw some nice deals too. Found a Nexstar on the walmart site, but out of stock...figures

Mike E.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/26/10

Loc: Moonstone Observatory
Re: Grab and Go new [Re: newtoskies]
      #6225169 - 11/30/13 01:06 PM Attachment (47 downloads)

I like things to be refined, uncomplicated, easy to set up and take down. Until recently my grab and go was a 5" Intes Micro Mak on a Half/Hitch Mount, supported by an ancient Tiltall Tripod; all weighing in at 23 pounds.

My present grab and go is a 3.5" Mak, once again supported by our fifty year old Tiltall #4602 Tripod. The scope, mount, and tripod have a combined weight of just 13 pounds. A wedge isn't required, as it's a simple matter to use the declination circle to establish latitude and by setting a bubble level on the objective cover, and moving the tripod head to center the bubble.

For me, I doubt it can get much better than this.

rockethead26
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/21/09

Loc: Arizona, USA
Re: Grab and Go new [Re: Mike E.]
      #6225428 - 11/30/13 03:36 PM

Mike,

I think you've nailed it. Beautifully classic!

ensign
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/16/08

Loc: Southwestern Ontario
Re: Grab and Go new [Re: rockethead26]
      #6225795 - 11/30/13 07:39 PM

At this time of year, grab and go means setup and teardown is quick and painless (winter in Canada)

I was considering investing in an apo in the 5" range as my travel scope - an Equinox 80 - is a bit aperture-challenged.

Instead I repurposed a scope I already have - 6" F5 Newt and mated it to an Orion Versago III. So far I've been very happy with the results. What's not to like? A 10lb scope with 6 inches of aperture that is apochromatic, costs a little over $300, easy to set up, tear down and gives great views.

The mount/tripod combination weighs 19 lb and is rock solid. Who could ask for more?

karstenkoch
sage

Re: Grab and Go new [Re: Mike E.]
      #6226296 - 12/01/13 01:46 AM

Quote:

I like things to be refined, uncomplicated, easy to set up and take down. Until recently my grab and go was a 5" Intes Micro Mak on a Half/Hitch Mount, supported by an ancient Tiltall Tripod; all weighing in at 23 pounds.

My present grab and go is a 3.5" Mak, once again supported by our fifty year old Tiltall #4602 Tripod. The scope, mount, and tripod have a combined weight of just 13 pounds. A wedge isn't required, as it's a simple matter to use the declination circle to establish latitude and by setting a bubble level on the objective cover, and moving the tripod head to center the bubble.

For me, I doubt it can get much better than this.

If that photo doesn't stir the heart of your inner observer, better check your pulse... Beautiful!

Mike E.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/26/10

Loc: Moonstone Observatory
Re: Grab and Go [Re: karstenkoch]
      #6226366 - 12/01/13 03:39 AM

Quote:

If that photo doesn't stir the heart of your inner observer, better check your pulse... Beautiful!

Thanks Jim & Karsten.

My favorite observing spot, just up the mountain above our home in Wales. Its always green here, with clean air and pure water; a nice place to live, although I do miss the California weather.

Qwickdraw
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/03/12

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
      #6226461 - 12/01/13 06:52 AM

Quote:

I define grab and go in terms of time rather than weight, size, effort, or distance. If I can be observing in 5 minutes, that's grab and go for me.

I think you may have just defined a 16" SCT in a OBS

Qwickdraw
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/03/12

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
      #6226462 - 12/01/13 06:55 AM

Agreed, beautiful merger.

karstenkoch
sage

Re: Grab and Go new [Re: Qwickdraw]
      #6226548 - 12/01/13 08:56 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I define grab and go in terms of time rather than weight, size, effort, or distance. If I can be observing in 5 minutes, that's grab and go for me.

I think you may have just defined a 16" SCT in a OBS

Actually, when I wrote that, I was thinking that Mt Palomar fit my description, too. The only problem is that Mt Palomar is not 5 minutes from my living room...

On the other hand, if you do have a 16" in a backyard observatory, then that's even better than a grab and go ... there's no grab, you just go.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)

Extra information
5 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, panhard, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7469

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics