Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Reflectors

Pages: 1
donnie3
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/15/04

Loc: bartlesville oklahoma
tube repair question
      #6227600 - 12/01/13 05:54 PM

I have a orion 8" intelliscope and was wondering if anyone has a idea of how to repair scratches on the tube. I have seen special paste or liquids that you rub on then wipe off, I tried some I got at walmart but it didn't help. repaint, paint over, not sure what would be the best method. I would appreciate some advice please. thanks, donnie

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
BDS316
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/16/09

Loc: Sol 3
Re: tube repair question new [Re: donnie3]
      #6227705 - 12/01/13 06:42 PM

The options depend on how much of a perfectionist you are. I've tried everything from Sharpies to auto store car touch up paint to pretty stickers to cover up the scratches. The stickers from the Astronomical league are nice as are those from Astronomers without Boarders and the "Powered by Televue" stickers are great for small scratches. If you go to NEAF, you can get tons of free stickers of all sizes.

Here are some stickers from Televue, RGS Associates, Astronomical League, and the Planetary Society.

http://www.astrogoods.com/stone.goldeneye.jpg

Another solution would be to remove everything from the tube and have it powdercoated or take it to an auto body shop for a professional repaint. $$$$$$$

I think the important thing to keep in mind, and it took me years to finally believe this, is that the scratches are purely cosmetic and in no way affect the performance of the scope, and no one sees tube scratches in the dark.

Tom Clark said in the Modern Dobsonian page 56 " These.. telescopes are tools that will hopefully receive hard use. They will quickly gather battle scars as we travel around.. committing astronomy. Each time you load and unload there are many opportunities for more dents, dings, (scratches,) scrapes and bruises.

Think about it. Of course, if you have a telescope that you never plan to use, but only display, then make it as pretty as you want. "

schluterdude

Reged: 08/05/13

Loc: Centerville, OH
Re: tube repair question new [Re: BDS316]
      #6227836 - 12/01/13 07:59 PM

Every scratch and ding tells a story...

"I got this one the night I resolved the banding on Jupiter!"

Or

"This one is from the night a babe was checking out my OTA!"

You've always got to find the silver lining! There are obvious differences in blemishes that result from rough handling as opposed to use. Wear those scuffs and scratches like badges of honor!

Sean Wood

Reged: 04/19/11

Loc: North Carolina
Re: tube repair question new [Re: schluterdude]
      #6227877 - 12/01/13 08:14 PM

Stickers add a nice touch of personalization...

Ebay search for TELESCOPE STICKERS

choran
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/28/12

Re: tube repair question new [Re: Sean Wood]
      #6227962 - 12/01/13 09:05 PM

I tend toward advising no repair on scratches. Short of huge effort, no repair will look like the original surface. If you ever want to sell it, often times paint touch-up, even done fairly well, tends to lessen the value. Like small dings on a car, scratches are inevitable. Nothing wrong with a scope that shows its use--keep it clean, well maintained, accurately collimated, and functioning properly. To heck with the scratches.

Edited by choran (12/01/13 11:09 PM)

john gabriel
sage

Reged: 12/13/11

Loc: Southern California
Re: tube repair question new [Re: choran]
      #6228003 - 12/01/13 09:29 PM

I bough a used white tube scope that had several scuffs and scratches - some of them were marked by darkened lines. Most (most!) came out very nicely using a little light application of auto-body rubbing compound. It just depends on how deep your scratches are. Some of my results surprised me rather pleasantly where the scratch looked worse than it turned out to be.

My 2 cents!
John

Pinbout
Postmaster

Reged: 02/22/10

Loc: nj
      #6228076 - 12/01/13 10:21 PM

If you want to repaint it, you can choose something that if it scratches again you can hit it with some paint again. I would sand the paint with a 220 and paint it with a textured paint, like a televue scope.

donnie3
Carpal Tunnel

Re: tube repair question new [Re: Pinbout]
      #6228220 - 12/02/13 12:02 AM

pinbout, I like your suggestion, thanks.

kfrederick
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/01/08

#6228487 - 12/02/13 07:02 AM

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Graphics/3Mgraphics/Products/Seri...

BDS316
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/16/09

Loc: Sol 3
Re: tube repair question new [Re: kfrederick]
      #6228500 - 12/02/13 07:21 AM

Quote:

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Graphics/3Mgraphics/Products/Seri...

Interesting. Anyone have a pic of a scope with this applied?

Pinbout
Postmaster

Reged: 02/22/10

Loc: nj
      #6229002 - 12/02/13 12:15 PM

I had a 4.5" reflector I wanted to make a scope with so I downloaded a graphite texture and made this in illustrator.

the I printed it ~40x25 and applied the print with glue...

donnie3
Carpal Tunnel

Re: tube repair question new [Re: Pinbout]
      #6230378 - 12/02/13 10:00 PM Attachment (5 downloads)

I just bought some nice stickers at hobby lobby and put some over the scratches. it does a good job of hiding them.

donnie3
Carpal Tunnel

#6230411 - 12/02/13 10:12 PM Attachment (7 downloads)

I took the intelliscope encoders off the 8" and applied them to my 10" orion sky quest classic, sure wish I could find some more encoders to put back on the 8". the tube on the 8" is not the original scope the came with the dob, I had a 1000mm 8" orion st that I bought a while back because of the wider fov (its really a nice ota) so I took the hubs off the 1200mm tube and applied them to the 1000mm. it worked out real fine but with the sky glow here in my city, I need go to or push to. donnie

hottr6
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/28/09

Loc: 7,500', Magdalena Mtns, NM
Re: tube repair question new [Re: BDS316]
      #6231241 - 12/03/13 11:43 AM

Quote:

Another solution would be to remove everything from the tube and have it powdercoated or take it to an auto body shop for a professional repaint. $$$$$$$

Powdercoating may look nice and appear to be indestructible, but it adds a lot of weight to the tube and slows cooling.

Also as an aside, auto paint is the best paint you can buy, period. It is designed for applying to thin metal that expands and contracts, and is more resistant to sun damage than any other type of paint. Now you know why auto paint is expensive, and expensive paint deserves correct surface preparation that for non-DIYers, translates into much mo' money.

BSeward
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/19/06

Loc: 15 miles north of Snow Plop.
Re: tube repair question new [Re: hottr6]
      #6231965 - 12/03/13 06:57 PM

Patina.... The scuffs and marks show the instrument was used and enjoyed. That crack down the center of the primary mirror, however, is a different story...

Pages: 1

Extra information
10 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Phillip Creed, JayinUT, okieav8r 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 534

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics