Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Beginners Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: Beginner's Eyepiece Strategy new [Re: Zedwardson]
      #6223805 - 11/29/13 05:20 PM

Quote:

SpaceProbe 130ST (f/5) with the following eyepieces (f/5)

2x Barlow Lens with T-threads
25 mm Plossl Eyepiece
15 mm Kellner Eyepiece
10 mm Plossl Eyepiece
6 mm Plossl Eyepiece

Your eyepieces cover the range of useful magnifications quite nicely. With the 2x Barlow you can achieve about 220x, quite useful if the seeing is good. If your Barlow is allows you to remove the front section and thread it onto the eyepiece, then it would work with the 6mm to provide about 162x, a nice place to be as well.

I like having a set of eyepieces that range from the lowest power widest field of view to the maximum useful magnifications. A 32mm Plossl or a 24mm Widefield would be a nice addition to your set and I imagine as the years pass you will slowly build your eyepiece set but I think you are in a good place..

Jon

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rdandrea
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/13/10

Loc: Colorado, USA DM59ra
      #6223829 - 11/29/13 05:29 PM

Quote:

Since someone else is dicussing this, and I am in the same boat.

SpaceProbe 130ST (f/5) with the following eyepieces (f/5)

2x Barlow Lens with T-threads
25 mm Plossl Eyepiece
15 mm Kellner Eyepiece
10 mm Plossl Eyepiece
6 mm Plossl Eyepiece

the 25 and 10 came with the scope, and it was due to sales only a handful of dollars more to get the 15 and 6 (and three filters) then buying the Barlow by itself.

Good choices? or did I screw up?

The only one I don't really like is the 6mm Plossl. Very short eye relief. If I were doing it (and I have) I would have gone for a 6mm Expanse or clone.

But that's personal. As long as you aren't fogging up your 6mm in the winter or getting eyelash goo all over it, it'll work fine for you.

Zedwardson

Reged: 11/26/13

Re: Beginner's Eyepiece Strategy new [Re: rdandrea]
      #6223972 - 11/29/13 06:25 PM

Well the 6mm was part of a package deal. The Barlow was 35 or so in the shop, or I could get the Barlow, 3 filters, and two eyepeices and a case for 45. It was a no brainier for me.

gene 4181
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/12/13

Loc: n.e. ohio
      #6224250 - 11/29/13 09:29 PM

good deal, i would think. and i do like the 130 orion short tube. very capable scope.

aatt
sage

Reged: 07/26/12

Loc: CT
Re: Beginner's Eyepiece Strategy new [Re: penguinx64]
      #6224330 - 11/29/13 10:36 PM

Sterling plossls. I have the 20mm and now the 17mm and they are fine eyepieces compared to my Orthos and ES 82's. The best thing about them, besides excellent light transmission is the price-$40. I also have the 6mm and 4mm for the rare nights, but eye relief on those is very tight.I use my 20mm for DSO all of the time and I just had a great night with the 17mm and M42. No complaints-they are keepers.

Gvs

Reged: 05/19/11

Loc: Texas
      #6224905 - 11/30/13 10:31 AM

My advice is the same as most above. First go for zoom, then once you know what magnification you use most, spend your money on a great eyepiece, don't settle for anything else, TV, Pentax, ES or alike. Otherwise you are just wasting your money.

In the meantime get yourself a great 2"diagonal and a feathertouch 2x focuser. If you decide to go for an electronic focuser, also consider top end options. You will always be able to use most of these on any scope.

After you've saved some more money up, consider investing as much possible on a good mount (avx, ioptron, lx850, AP, etc, this will mainly depend on your budget). After that, upgrade your scope and keep going after eyepieces until you have a decent set of great ones.

Only then, should you consider astrophotography and a refractor. Otherwise you will end up spending thousands and end up with some frustration because you can't those amazing pictures.

If you want pictures go for a mount then a great refractor or astrograph.

An SCT Like you SE is a great starter scope. If you add the Wifi link and spend some money on sky safari, you will have lots of fun. If you have a Canon or Nixon digital camera, spend some more on DSLR remote and it will keep your astrophotography desires in check until you can afford a decent rig for that purpose.

Regarding Barlows, go for focal extenders instead of Barlows.

Saturninus
sage

Reged: 11/27/13

#6225052 - 11/30/13 12:04 PM

OP here - thanks for all of this helpful advice! I have to admit, a lot of it is going over my head, but I expect that I will have to get used to that as a beginner.

Seems like I should get the scope, a 16mm ortho to go along with the 25mm kit plossl, and a barlow so I can experiment at four different magnifications. After I get familiar with it, I will spend the real $$$$ on the focal lengths I really like

Geo31
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/28/13

Loc: Kingwood, TX
Re: Beginner's Eyepiece Strategy new [Re: Saturninus]
      #6225688 - 11/30/13 06:35 PM

Quote:

Hello Everyone!

After several days of doing scattered research on the web, I am at the point where I think I could benefit from some direct advice. I've decided on a scope (Nexstar 8 SE), and now I am trying to figure out which eyepieces to start out with. I realize that my preferences will evolve over time, so I'm just looking to get started with something that makes practical sense. So here is my plan so far.

Scope Specs: 203mm, f10
1) 32mm plossl - 64x, 3.2 exit pupil. Something basic
2) 20mm wide - 100x, 2.0 exit pupil. Everything I read tells me that that is the "Sweet spot", and this is where I will likely be spending most of my time. Therefore, I'm willing to invest a little more here and get something with great contrast and a wide field of view
3)10mm ortho - 200x / 1.0 exit pupil - for when I want to look at planets. Don't need wide field of view here, and the ortho design seems to be the best bang for the buck.

OK, I've just browsed prior responses, but here goes...

I just actively returned to this pursuit after 35 years on the sidelines and probably the biggest change has been eyepieces, so I'm not far off where you are (I bought a C8).

The first thing I decided was to buy high quality basic eyepieces until I could decide what I really wanted. As a result I bought:

32mm TeleVue Plossl
25mm TeleVue Plossl
20mm TeleVue Plossl
15mm TeleVue Plossl

The 15, 20, 25 I bought as a set from someone on the classifieds. It helped me sort out the myriad possibilities of focal lengths. Plossls are nice solid basic performers, and the better the quality you can afford the better. I bought these because I knew I could resell them and recoup virtually all of my initial investment (I've bought all my eyepieces used). I added the 32 when a deal became available.

I bought a 2x extender from Explore Scientific. Highly regarded and not expensive (only thing in my eyepiece case bought new). I've since bought a 2.4x Dakin barlow, but I bought that purely because I knew Ralph Dakin before my hiatus from astronomy (I have other things from him as well). I also picked up a 0.63x reducer. More options...

I decided I wanted more magnification for the few times I could really enjoy it and bought a nice classic volcano top 6mm Ortho. Before I got to use it, I came across a killer deal on a TMB Planetary II 6mm. Here's where thing started changing....

I got a semi-decent night finally to compare the Ortho with the TMB II. That is where I learned to truly appreciate the wide view eyepieces. Total game changer.

After refiguring my desires I realized I could replace both the 32mm and the 25mm with a 24mm 68* eyepiece (I was planning on a Panoptic, but made an opportunistic purchase of an ES instead). With the 82* AFOV of the Naglers, I could consolidate further. I ended up with a 16mm T6, an 11mm T6, and a 7mm T6. All 1.25", so no need to upgrade my TV 99% diagonal or my ES 2x extender.

All this started with the huge appreciation of the extra FOV of the TMB 6mm vs the Ortho 6mm. And while some people would suggest the 7mm T6 is not necessarily a good planetary EP, it still beats either 6mm I have.

I'm not particularly saying you should follow my lead. But I'm hoping my recent experience will give you something to think about and lead to a plan. Whether you start basic like me and go fancy later, or just go for the end-game (whatever it is) from the start is up to you. In my case, I just didn't know what I really wanted and until I experienced the relative wide field of the TMB, I still had no idea what I really wanted.

I'm personally really happy with my selection. I chose TV because while they may not be the absolute best in all (or even any) cases, they are truly the gold standard in eyepieces (despite arguments by some) and will always hold their value. That said, my 24mm 68* ES is very impressive. I've had a few chances to upgrade to a 24mm Panoptic, but have been hard pressed to pull the trigger just yet. That 24 ES really impresses me. Currently, due to availability, you'll have a hard time finding deals on used ES eyepieces. You can get better deals on TV, but they are still much pricier than the ES. Beyond those two brands, I cannot help. Everything I read said buy the best EPs you could afford and I've not been disappointed in the least.

This was wordy, but I hope it helps. Good luck. Buying EPs can be really really confusing to a newbie, or even in my case, someone returning from a long layoff.

Ethan311

Reged: 11/06/13

#6225707 - 11/30/13 06:46 PM

In the same boat ordering the 11 inch edge hd cgem dx, it somes with a 23 mm. This threat really helped me out on what direction to go! still a little unsure thoe seems like i would want a higher mag for planets than 12mm

gene 4181
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/12/13

Loc: n.e. ohio
Re: Beginner's Eyepiece Strategy new [Re: Ethan311]
      #6225755 - 11/30/13 07:21 PM

higher than a 12mm. not in the winter time, unlees you have great seeing. a nice 15 mm 82 degree and a barlow. or a 14 es with barlow. start with that and take your time. the luminos is on sale now. reasonable price, 79.95. i have some, i like them. but i'm the minority here. see how you like your 23 too.

Thomas Karpf
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/09/09

Loc: Newington, CT
Re: Beginner's Eyepiece Strategy [Re: maugi88]
      #6229221 - 12/02/13 02:02 PM

Quote:

Quote:

A 2x barlow would yield:
32mm (by itself)
20mm (by itself)
16mm (32mm with barlow)
10mm (20mm with barlow)

I thought the barlow increased magnification not reduced it.

Let me rephrase that:

A 2x barlow used with 32mm and 20mm eyepieces would effectively give you the following eyepieces:
32mm (32mm used by itself)
20mm (20mm by itself)
16mm (the 32mm eyepiece used with the barlow)
10mm (the 20mm eyepiece used with the barlow)

Geo31
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Beginner's Eyepiece Strategy new [Re: maugi88]
      #6229667 - 12/02/13 04:59 PM

Quote:

I thought the barlow increased magnification not reduced it.

What a barlow does is increase the effective focal length of the instrument, e.g., in your scope, your 2,000mm focal length becomes effectively 4,000mm.

The eyepiece does not change focal length, but it has become somewhat of a customary shorthand to halve the eyepiece focal length, because it gets you to the same magnification and it's easier to think of when deciding which eyepieces to purchase.

Remember, magnification is: Instrument focal length/eyepiece focal length.

Therefore (keeping the math ultra-simple), using your scope as an example:

2,000mm focal length instrument
20mm eyepiece
yields 100x (2,000/20)

If you add a barlow:
2,000mm instrument fl with barlow is effectively 4,000mm fl
20mm eyepiece focal length
yields 200x (4,000/20)

Now the common shorthand:

2,000mm instrument fl
20mm eyepiece fl with barlow is equivalent to 10mm
yields 200x (2,000/10)

Once again for clarity, a barlow increases the instrument's focal length and does not halve the eyepiece focal length, but the numbers work to the same magnification and for deciding on eyepieces, the shorthand is easier to think of in your head.

Geo31
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Beginner's Eyepiece Strategy new [Re: Geo31]
      #6229677 - 12/02/13 05:01 PM

Oh, and in my write-up about wide field eyepieces, I mentioned the 24mm effectively replaced my 25mm and 32mm Plossls (basically the same magnification of the 25, but with an even bigger field than the 32).

The 16mm also replaced the 15mm and the 20mm for the same reasons.

I probably could have just skipped the 11mm, but what the heck, I was buying eyepieces...

Kraus
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/10/12

Loc: Georgia.
      #6231001 - 12/03/13 09:21 AM

Get Naglers.

Kevdog
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/11/12

Loc: Desert Hills, AZ
Re: Beginner's Eyepiece Strategy new [Re: Ethan311]
      #6231049 - 12/03/13 09:50 AM

Quote:

In the same boat ordering the 11 inch edge hd cgem dx, it somes with a 23 mm. This threat really helped me out on what direction to go! still a little unsure thoe seems like i would want a higher mag for planets than 12mm

For my C11 (older carbon fiber tube, but basically the same scope) I use the following:
ES82 30mm for wide field views (with a 2" diagonal of course) Gives about 1.3deg
ES82 18mm for detailed views of DSOs (again with a 2" diagonal)
ES82 11mm for planetary views

I use the 30mm about 60% of the time, the 18mm about 35% of the time and the 11mm really just for looking at planets, so 5% of the time (at most).

Below 11mm is rarerly useful, but I have a 2x barlow and a 7-22mm zoom if I want to push it.

Before I had the ES line I only had an Orion Sirius 32mm and the Orion 7-22.5 zoom.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
8 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  WOBentley, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1046

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics