Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Beginners Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Adrian Ruiz

Reged: 12/01/13

Where to buy a telescope in Florida? new
      #6227943 - 12/01/13 08:54 PM

Hey guys. As the title says, I would like to find where to buy a telescope in Florida. I live in Miami so preferably near me. I would like to be able to get a good telescope that would last. I have tried out telescopes before but everybody I know who owns one, have gotten theres from the internet and they usually aren't that good. That's why I would like to go to a physical store and try them out.
Please can anybody help me find a good store in Florida where they sell telescopes. Thank you.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/10

Loc: Oklahoma City, OK
Re: Where to buy a telescope in Florida? new [Re: Adrian Ruiz]
      #6228008 - 12/01/13 09:33 PM

I don't know if there is a storefront dealer in Florida, but another way to test drive some scopes is to find a local astronomy club and attend one of their public viewing events. Members could also steer you to reputable dealers.

kfiscus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/09/12

Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA
      #6228126 - 12/01/13 10:50 PM

Buying over the internet can mean many things. Most of the good stuff is also bought via the web from great vendors like Astronomics (our fine sponsor) or from trustworthy sellers here or on places like Astromart. Buying new gives you significant peace of mind and warranty protection- buying used gives you significant savings. Good luck in your searches. We'll be glad to help you (and to help you spend your money).

CeleNoptic
sage

Reged: 12/20/07

Loc: Cloudy East Coast
      #6228329 - 12/02/13 02:21 AM

Quote:

I have tried out telescopes before but everybody I know who owns one, have gotten theres from the internet and they usually aren't that good. That's why I would like to go to a physical store and try them out.

It sounds strange to me. I bought all my astro stuff through internet and everything works fine

Looks like not many places. Try this 3 years old thread Where to Buy a Telescope in Miami or Orlando?

Edited by CeleNoptic (12/02/13 02:38 AM)

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Where to buy a telescope in Florida? new [Re: CeleNoptic]
      #6228582 - 12/02/13 08:40 AM

Brick and Morter scope stores are few and far between; most have closed up as they can't compete with the internet. If you're lucky enough to have one near you....support it. It may cost you a few bucks more for an item....but it's worth it. While others are looking at pics, stats, and our ramblings here...you're picking it up, looking at it, looking thru it, feeling the weight and seeing the craftsmanship (or lack thereof). At the one here, once they know you, they'll "loan" you one of their display eyepieces for a few days to try out. To me, that's worth the few extra bucks it costs me...plus, if something isn't right...I got somewheres to go about it.

Adrian Ruiz

Re: Where to buy a telescope in Florida? new [Re: csrlice12]
      #6228612 - 12/02/13 09:05 AM

Quote:

Brick and Morter scope stores are few and far between; most have closed up as they can't compete with the internet.

Do you know any Brick and Morter scope stores that could be near me or a website that could tell me where is there nearest store to me?

Footbag
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/13/09

Loc: Scranton, PA
      #6228631 - 12/02/13 09:20 AM

Go to Celestron's website and their retailer locator. Then type in your zip code. You could try the same with other telescope manufacturers.

It looks like there are a few camera stores near you that carry Celestron. From there, it's a matter of calling each one and figuring out who has the best telescope selection.

If you have a local store, buy from them. Otherwise, they may not be there next time you need them.

coopman
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/23/06

Loc: South Louisiana
Re: Where to buy a telescope in Florida? new [Re: Footbag]
      #6228905 - 12/02/13 11:31 AM

Opticsmart is in northern Alabama, I believe. Their GSO-made Dobs are very nice and they offer more add-ons than anyone else selling the GSO Dobs. Their customer service is tops also, if you need assistance once the scope arrives.

BoriSpider
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/10/04

Loc: S.W.FLA
Re: Where to buy a telescope in Florida? new [Re: coopman]
      #6228954 - 12/02/13 11:49 AM

As mentioned above check your local Astro-Clubs and test drive
different telescopes to get an idea on what you like in a scope.
Then ask what scopes might be available for sale used.
I live in Naples across the way from you and this is what is available from the westcoast.

p.s. I got my scope from Astronomics and Welcome to CN :-)

Oh yeah, check the Istar Club link in my signature. Mike Hardin from Istar is in Ft. Myers
and might have some scopes in stock for sale.

Edited by BoriSpider (12/02/13 11:54 AM)

Thomas Karpf
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/09/09

Loc: Newington, CT
Re: Where to buy a telescope in Florida? new [Re: BoriSpider]
      #6229238 - 12/02/13 02:08 PM

You might want to check out this group. They're located in Weston, FL.

http://www.sfaaa.com/

For what it's worth, I found them by starting HERE:
http://www.cleardarksky.com/csk/prov/Florida_charts.html

Pinbout
Postmaster

Reged: 02/22/10

Loc: nj
      #6229270 - 12/02/13 02:25 PM

Do you know what kind of telescope you want to get?

Ed D
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/30/10

Loc: Sunny South Florida
Re: Where to buy a telescope in Florida? [Re: Thomas Karpf]
      #6229312 - 12/02/13 02:43 PM

Quote:

You might want to check out this group. They're located in Weston, FL.

http://www.sfaaa.com/

Also, check out the Southern Cross Astronomical Society in Miami-Dade. The SCAS holds its Saturday Nights at Sadowski Park where you can talk club members and probably try out their equipment.

Ed D

Ed D
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/30/10

Loc: Sunny South Florida
      #6230129 - 12/02/13 08:15 PM

Quote:

I have tried out telescopes before but everybody I know who owns one, have gotten theres from the internet and they usually aren't that good.

If you could tell us what scopes you tried out (type, brand, etc) and what it was you didn't like maybe we could offer some suggestions.

Ed D

rnc39560
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/23/13

Loc: MS coast
Re: Where to buy a telescope in Florida? new [Re: Ed D]
      #6230191 - 12/02/13 08:43 PM

Wow, can't believe Billy, Mitch, and David haven't posted yet. Lol...

Edited by rnc39560 (12/02/13 08:46 PM)

Adrian Ruiz

Re: Where to buy a telescope in Florida? new [Re: Ed D]
      #6230213 - 12/02/13 08:54 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I have tried out telescopes before but everybody I know who owns one, have gotten theres from the internet and they usually aren't that good.

If you could tell us what scopes you tried out (type, brand, etc) and what it was you didn't like maybe we could offer some suggestions.

Ed D

The ones I've tried out are Nipon, Barska and Vivitar. They were all either refractors or reflectors. They got it by either Amazon or eBay. That's all I know about them.

Adrian Ruiz

Re: Where to buy a telescope in Florida? new [Re: rnc39560]
      #6230219 - 12/02/13 08:56 PM

Quote:

Wow, can't believe Billy, Mitch, and David haven't posted yet. Lol...

Who are they? Just wondering. I'm new to these forums so don't know them.

Edited by Adrian Ruiz (12/02/13 09:01 PM)

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: Where to buy a telescope in Florida? new [Re: rnc39560]
      #6230245 - 12/02/13 09:05 PM

OMG, This explains all the scopes and fancy eyepieces that need correctors and filters, not to mention heavy expesive mounts.....so just where are those Walmart goto AP capeable APO scopes with solid, but light weight carry it all with one hand mount and tripod for under a hundred dollars?

Adrian Ruiz

Re: Where to buy a telescope in Florida? new [Re: csrlice12]
      #6230272 - 12/02/13 09:15 PM

Quote:

OMG, This explains all the scopes and fancy eyepieces that need correctors and filters, not to mention heavy expesive mounts.....so just where are those Walmart goto AP capeable APO scopes with solid, but light weight carry it all with one hand mount and tripod for under a hundred dollars?

I'm sorry but what are you saying. Just read what you wrote three times and not sure what your trying to say.

Illinois
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/18/06

Loc: near Dixon, Illinois USA
      #6230882 - 12/03/13 07:46 AM

Chicago don't sell telescope so far I know. Shutan Camera was out of business years ago. One Science Store in Chicago sell just basic telescopes. I got 16 inch dobsonian, 5 inch refractor and several eyepieces came from Astronomics. Service and feedback on email from Astronomics is great. They also give you discount because you are Cloudy Nights member! Orion telescopes and Astronomics is all I need for astronomy. Go to Astronomy Club near you is great idea also there have Winter Star Party near Key West!

csrlice12
Postmaster

#6230911 - 12/03/13 08:22 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I'm sorry but what are you saying. Just read what you wrote three times and not sure what your trying to say.

SOrry, was in response to the person who said you can't get a good scope over the internet...twas in jest.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, WOBentley, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 839

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics