Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Beginners Forum

Pages: 1
Telescopic

Reged: 11/29/13

Loc: BC, Canada
Is "star-telescope.com" a real company? new
      #6227651 - 12/01/13 06:18 PM

I came across this site looking for the best deal on the scope I think I will be buying and the prices at this site are insanely low compared to any other vendor, like 1/3 lower. Are they a wholesaler only?

www.star-telescope.com

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Zerobeat
journeyman

Reged: 11/30/13

Loc: NW Ohio
Re: Is "star-telescope.com" a real company? new [Re: Telescopic]
      #6227677 - 12/01/13 06:29 PM

It doesn't look like they are wholesale only, but they are based in Indonesia. Shipping costs may be the deal-breaker, here.

Telescopic

Re: Is "star-telescope.com" a real company? new [Re: Zerobeat]
      #6227681 - 12/01/13 06:30 PM

Shipping via DHL would only be $77 so I would still save around $500 on the scope I am looking at.

Vondragonnoggin
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/21/10

Loc: Southern CA, USA
      #6227682 - 12/01/13 06:31 PM

What's shipping like from Indonesia?

Vondragonnoggin
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/21/10

Loc: Southern CA, USA
Re: Is "star-telescope.com" a real company? new [Re: Vondragonnoggin]
      #6227685 - 12/01/13 06:32 PM

Don't know about that site. Haven't seen it mentioned in the last few years and they claim to be around for 10 years.

jerwin
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/17/12

Loc: Romeoville IL
      #6227707 - 12/01/13 06:43 PM

I think it is fake. there was a guy on the solar forum that got ripped off by sale-telescope.com

While the sites don't look the same, they look similar and the company address is located in the same town in Indonesia.

I believe the scam was they "accidentally" shipped the buyer 2 scopes, and realized it after it made it into customs, so they couldn't just cancel the order, however they managed to get a hold on it with the shipping company and demanded being paid for both telescopes before they would release the shipment. I don't recalled if the buyer paid, or realized at that point that they were a scam, but I think he was out over a grand.

Almost everything in this hobby has a price set by the manufactures, so unless it's used, refurbished or a show room model, you shouldn't expect to see one seller offer something cheaper than another. Free shipping or rewards memberships or whatnot is another story.

EDIT:
here is the solar post I was referencing, again it's not star-telescope.com but they seem very similar.

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/1,2,3,4,5,8,9,10/Number/5984216/Main/5981819
Jim

Edited by jerwin (12/01/13 11:16 PM)

StrangeDejavu
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/20/13

Loc: Florida
      #6227710 - 12/01/13 06:44 PM

These prices are too good to be true. An AT111EDT triplet apo for $957? Lunt 60 Double Stack for $1,600? I would definitely tread lightly.

Telescopic

Re: Is "star-telescope.com" a real company? new [Re: StrangeDejavu]
      #6227739 - 12/01/13 07:04 PM

Very interesting about that "sale-telescope.com" site. They are extremely similar, exact same gun scopes which are half the cost compared to here.

Both those sites require BANK TRANSFER so you have little protection IMO if something goes wrong.

Looks like a scam, I'll drop it. Thanks for you help guys.

Edited by Telescopic (12/01/13 07:06 PM)

Tophat3

Reged: 07/20/10

Loc: Columbus,Ohio
      #6228069 - 12/01/13 10:13 PM

Yeah, I think Mitch is right. If these guys were for real, the forums would be lit up about them.

These prices are to good to be true.

nwcs

Reged: 11/12/13

Loc: Tennessee
Re: Is "star-telescope.com" a real company? new [Re: Tophat3]
      #6228108 - 12/01/13 10:39 PM

A first place I'd try to look at when evaluating a questionable site is http://www.resellerratings.com

Can be very helpful

StarStuff1
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/01/07

Loc: South of the Mason-Dixon Line
Re: Is "star-telescope.com" a real company? new [Re: nwcs]
      #6228293 - 12/02/13 01:23 AM

Everyone should be aware that the mark-up on NEW scopes and accessories is not very high with reputable companies.

nicknacknock
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/20/12

Loc: In a galaxy far far away...
Re: Is "star-telescope.com" a real company? new [Re: StarStuff1]
      #6228309 - 12/02/13 01:44 AM

If they don't take PayPal or Visa (where you can either claim your money back or request a charge reversal), it's a clear sign of potential fraud.

CeleNoptic
sage

Reged: 12/20/07

Loc: Cloudy East Coast
      #6228385 - 12/02/13 04:26 AM

Quote:

Both those sites require BANK TRANSFER so you have little protection IMO if something goes wrong.

It's obvious scam. There was a thread this summer, looks like about this company, not sure though. IIRC, one Indonesian guy had asked his friend in Jakarta to check the company and that man found some storage buildings there, but not what the company pretended to be . BTW, I used the links in that thread and "purchased" some expensive Dall-Kirkham astrograph ...of course, I used fake info for my "order"...they accepted it and requested my detailed info, especially my bank account details

Telescopic

Re: Is "star-telescope.com" a real company? [Re: jerwin]
      #6229465 - 12/02/13 03:39 PM

Quote:

I think it is fake. there was a guy on the solar forum that got ripped off by sale-telescope.com

While the sites don't look the same, they look similar and the company address is located in the same town in Indonesia.

I believe the scam was they "accidentally" shipped the buyer 2 scopes, and realized it after it made it into customs, so they couldn't just cancel the order, however they managed to get a hold on it with the shipping company and demanded being paid for both telescopes before they would release the shipment. I don't recalled if the buyer paid, or realized at that point that they were a scam, but I think he was out over a grand.

Almost everything in this hobby has a price set by the manufactures, so unless it's used, refurbished or a show room model, you shouldn't expect to see one seller offer something cheaper than another. Free shipping or rewards memberships or whatnot is another story.

EDIT:
here is the solar post I was referencing, again it's not star-telescope.com but they seem very similar.

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/1,2,3,4,5,8,9,10/Number/5984216/Main/5981819
Jim

Thanks for the link. I will be ordering my scope from Brandon Optics most likely, best part is I could pick it up.

AstronomicsAdministrator
Vendor if you must, AKA The Mighty Kong.

Reged: 06/07/04

Loc: Right Here
      #6236117 - 12/05/13 07:59 PM

They are not a dealer of our, so they have zero access to Astro-Tech products. They would be a fake store, run away.

rdandrea
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/13/10

Loc: Colorado, USA DM59ra
      #6236286 - 12/05/13 09:49 PM

Quote:

Is "star-telescope.com" a real company?

No.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: Is "star-telescope.com" a real company? new [Re: Astronomics]
      #6236537 - 12/06/13 02:23 AM

Quote:

They are not a dealer of our, so they have zero access to Astro-Tech products. They would be a fake store, run away.

Michael:

Thanks for confirming the fact that this is a fake store. Since Astronomics also owns Astro-Tech, that provides solid information that they are scammers.

It looks to me like they have copied Anacortes Telescopes and Wild Bird site, Buytelescopes.com

This "Star-telescope" site lists some rather rare telescopes and I copied some long phrases from the Star-telescope site and did a google search and the hits are either Star-telescope or Buytelescopes...

Definitely a scam and to be avoided...

Jon

ensign
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/16/08

Loc: Southwestern Ontario
Re: Is "star-telescope.com" a real company? new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #6237262 - 12/06/13 12:18 PM

Interesting. . . I was checking them out earlier this week. The prices were sure a lot lower than everyone else.

It turns out the aphorism "If it seems to be too good to be true, it is." applies.

Pages: 1

Extra information
8 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, WOBentley, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 688

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics