Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Observatories

Pages: 1
LoveChina61
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/20/09

Proper placement of SBIG power supplier?
      #6250510 - 12/13/13 09:22 AM

My SBIG camera's power supplier has a fairly short cord coming out of it. Therefore, I have had to place it right on the pier plate so that it reaches far enough so that it can attach to the back of the camera. In the picture below, the red arrow is pointing at the SBIG power supplier.

I operate it remotely so don't dare to rotate the scope too much for fear of snagging the cord and yanking it strongly. That could rip the cord out from the back of the camera or even from the power supplier.

How do some of you deal with this problem? I would appreciate some suggestions.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
dmdouglass
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/23/07

Loc: Tempe, AZ
Re: Proper placement of SBIG power supplier? new [Re: LoveChina61]
      #6250658 - 12/13/13 10:39 AM

The answer is called a "12V DC Extension Cable. SBIG sells it as an accessory. It can be found here:
https://www.sbig.com/products/accessories/12vdc-extension-cable/

Unfortunately, the want $99 for it.....
You can also do a cable splice, and extend the cable. Many users report doing a "home brew" extension....

niteman1946
sage

Reged: 02/16/08

Loc: Fort Worth, TX
      #6250671 - 12/13/13 10:46 AM

Hi LoveChina,

I have a similar dilemma with my short (6') cord from pyramid power source to Atik 383L camera.

Curious what the community suggests.

Mark

rimcrazy
sage

Reged: 03/03/12

Loc: Overgaard, AZ
Re: Proper placement of SBIG power supplier? new [Re: dmdouglass]
      #6250849 - 12/13/13 12:31 PM

Good grief you don't need to spend $99. I had a ST-7XME that used a standard 6' DIN Cable

It looks like you are using a 12V cable. For my setup, I have quite a few 12V cameras and accessories. I went to using a very linear adjustable 12V lab bench power supply. I feed this into a Ethernet switchable DIN Relay Box that has wires connected to these standard 2.1mm x 5.5mm male plugs. I also place very close to the male plugs a female plug. This allows me to make a small jumper cable to another accessory close by if needed. A case in point is my Atik Filter wheel that has my Atik Camera mounted on it. Both need 12V. You can then use standard bundled 20 or 18 gage bell wire that is used in security systems for CCTV cameras. This is very cheap, works well. These connectors I showed do not require any soldering and make very nice, secure connections. You can "Splurge" and get a 10 pack of each along with some wire and you probably still won't have over $25 invested and you can make cables to your heart's content.

Just as an FYI. Since my setup has a very heavy duty (5A) 12V power supply that feeds all of the 12V connections, I put an inline fuse that is properly rated (1A to 1.5A) on each individual 12V supply feed. This prevents frying something should a fault occur.

My setup requires remote control operation thus the Ethernet DIN control box. You most likely don't need this but having the option of making nice reliable custom cables is nice. Mind your polarity!!!! Check your cables before you hook things up.

Edited by rimcrazy (12/13/13 12:33 PM)

LoveChina61
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/20/09

#6252283 - 12/14/13 09:02 AM

Thank you all for your comments!

I am actually using the standard SBIG power supplier that came with my ST-2000xcm camera. An example of the camera's power supplier is found HERE. The stock cable coming out of this power supplier is only 6ft long.

I was able to find some time to do further research on the internet myself as well. Apparently, I need to either use a 12v battery combined with their 12v power supplier (normally for "field use") an example of which is found HERE. Or I can make sure I use heavy enough wire in my extension cable so that I don't introduce noise into my pictures as discussed in THIS extension cable's product description.

*skyguy*
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/31/08

Loc: Western New York
      #6252345 - 12/14/13 09:48 AM

I also have the standard power brick for my SBIG camera sitting next to the LX200 wedge on top of my pier (square top). I just let the cable hang down loose from the camera and I've never had any problems with "snagging" no matter where the scope is pointing to in the sky. I've done it this way for the past 12 years ... with several different SBIG cameras ... and I also image remotely from inside my house. I have thought about extending the power cable ... however, It's been working fine for me, so why bother.

rimcrazy
sage

Reged: 03/03/12

Loc: Overgaard, AZ
      #6252367 - 12/14/13 10:03 AM

Quote:

Thank you all for your comments!

I am actually using the standard SBIG power supplier that came with my ST-2000xcm camera. An example of the camera's power supplier is found HERE. The stock cable coming out of this power supplier is only 6ft long.

I was able to find some time to do further research on the internet myself as well. Apparently, I need to either use a 12v battery combined with their 12v power supplier (normally for "field use") an example of which is found HERE. Or I can make sure I use heavy enough wire in my extension cable so that I don't introduce noise into my pictures as discussed in THIS extension cable's product description.

Ah, ok that cable is a DIN cable like I mentioned. The link to the 6' cable on amazon will work fine and give you an extra 6' of space to work with.

Pages: 1

Extra information
4 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Christopher Erickson 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 384

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics