krp
Vendor. DarkSiteFinder.com

Reged: 11/10/10

Loc: Central Illinois
Re: ISON will survive! new [Re: Rich (RLTYS)]
      #6236454 - 12/06/13 12:19 AM

ISON is now back in the field of view of Stereo H1-A

Source

I hope the remnants will hold together a little longer so at least something can be seen from earth. I also found another image that shows ISON better but I'm not sure of the source so I won't post it.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
BrooksObs
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/08/12

Re: ISON will survive! new [Re: Rich (RLTYS)]
      #6237056 - 12/06/13 10:48 AM

Yes, it is a bit perplexing to understand just how the Science Channel can present its SuperCometISON 2013 special this evening, considering virtually nothing remains of the comet beyond a rapidly dispersing large cloud of debris.

While a trace of ISON continues was imaged by one of the STEREO cameras as late as this early morning, the brightest portion of the remnant cloud appears to have a surface bright of less than that of the Merope Nebula in the Pleiades.

In 5 or 6 days, when this remnant debris cloud has reached sufficient solar elongation and is reasonably up in the Earth's eastern morning sky to be imaged, I would anticipate that only the deepest images might be capable of detecting any trace of it at all...if such even exist by then!

BrooksObs

Edited by BrooksObs (12/06/13 11:03 AM)

Mirzam
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/01/08

Loc: Lovettsville, VA
Re: ISON will survive! new [Re: BrooksObs]
      #6238069 - 12/06/13 08:19 PM

Very cool ISON video now up on Spaceweather.com

ISON video

JimC

Starhunter249
sage

Reged: 06/07/10

Re: ISON will survive! new [Re: Mirzam]
      #6239100 - 12/07/13 01:34 PM

Awesome video. Maybe not comet of the century but for folks with telescopes, perhaps something can be viewed this month as it gets positioned further from the sun.

Dave Mitsky
Postmaster

Reged: 04/08/02

Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth
Re: ISON will survive! new [Re: BrooksObs]
      #6239355 - 12/07/13 03:58 PM

The Science Channel is now airing a slightly different promo for the show that seems to indicate Comet ISON's probable demise. They haven't changed the title to Not-So-Super Comet ISON 2013, however.

Dave Mitsky

hiro
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/17/07

Loc: Tokyo
Re: ISON will survive! new [Re: krp]
      #6240082 - 12/08/13 12:03 AM

I tried imaging of the object and found nothing on the frame, though the equatorial mount was following the ephemeris. The altitude of the object was 3.94 degrees at the beginning of twilight.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hiroc/11263328836/

It may have been difficult to detect faint and diffuse object with low surface brightness under the poor observing condition. I will try again.

Glen A W
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/04/08

Loc: USA
Re: ISON will survive! new [Re: hiro]
      #6240789 - 12/08/13 01:08 PM

People can say what they want - it was a great comet for me. It looked great on the way down, and the show on Thanksgiving was worth the wait.

LivingNDixie
TSP Chowhound

Reged: 04/23/03

Loc: Trussville, AL
Re: ISON will survive! new [Re: Glen A W]
      #6241024 - 12/08/13 03:27 PM

I watched the Discovery Channel special on ISON. I DVR'd it Friday, it was a very good series, talked a lot about how scientists tracked the comet and showed that many times science doesn't go the way one hopes. The Discovery Channel is going to reshow it really early in the morning on Sunday, so set you DVR.

Dave Mitsky
Postmaster

Reged: 04/08/02

Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth
Re: ISON will survive! new [Re: Glen A W]
      #6247936 - 12/11/13 09:48 PM

There's no sign of Comet ISON in the image posted at http://spaceweathergallery.com/indiv_upload.php?upload_id=91066

For more, see http://spaceweather.com/ (Monday-Wednesday).

Dave Mitsky

krp
Vendor. DarkSiteFinder.com

Reged: 11/10/10

Loc: Central Illinois
Re: ISON will survive! new [Re: Dave Mitsky]
      #6248900 - 12/12/13 11:57 AM

Isn't it surprising that none of the remains have been detected from earth at this point? It was still visible in stereo a few days ago. I have heard Hubble will attempt to capture it sometime in the next week.

Tonk
Postmaster

Reged: 08/19/04

Loc: Leeds, UK, 54N
Re: ISON will survive! new [Re: krp]
      #6249045 - 12/12/13 01:12 PM

Quote:

Isn't it surprising that none of the remains have been detected from earth at this point?

STEREO has the supreme advantage of have no atmosphere to squint through and an excellent elongation from the sun

Plus what STEREO was imaging is extremely dim - dimmer than the nebulosity in the Pleiades

hiro
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/17/07

Loc: Tokyo
Re: ISON will survive! new [Re: Tonk]
      #6250164 - 12/13/13 12:37 AM

We could recognize Pleiades and surrounding dust and gas on the frame with STEREO, but we can image far dimmer objects than it, when it is away from the sun.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hiroc/5225950849/

I believe that there is some chance of imaging the remnant, when it is far away from the sun, though integrated flux nebulae in the field must be obstruction. We may need subtraction or comparison of several images. The object must be getting dimmer day by day, and the condition of imaging is getting better. We must haste and utilize the possibility the most.

We will pass the orbit plane of the comet around January 16, 2014. The object comes near Polaris, far away from the sun at the date. We may have some better chance of imaging around the date, though the moon will be another obstruction then. We must have chance ahead.

Edited by hiro (12/13/13 12:40 AM)

Tonk
Postmaster

Reged: 08/19/04

Loc: Leeds, UK, 54N
Re: ISON will survive! new [Re: hiro]
      #6250312 - 12/13/13 05:43 AM

Hiro - I'm expecting that you will succeed going on your past achievements

BrooksObs
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/08/12

Re: ISON will survive! new [Re: Tonk]
      #6250747 - 12/13/13 11:26 AM

A very interesting situation occurs next month, one perfectly suited to Hiro's ability and equipment. Between the mornings of January 10th and 14th (the absolutely last moonless morning in mid January) the Earth will be very near, or crossing, ISON's orbital plane. Any trace remnants of the comet's dispersing dust cloud and tails will be presented to us almost perfectly edge-on and their brightness greatly compounded. This was exactly what occurrred in the case of recent Comet PanSTARRS about 6-8 weeks past its perihelion passage. Recall the extraordinary anolamous (sunward) tail that appeared briefly? "Something" like that might appear on deep images in conjunction with ISON's dust, even though the comet itself no longer exists!

BrooksObs

Edited by BrooksObs (12/13/13 11:27 AM)

canukLX90
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/25/08

Loc: B.C. Canada
Re: ISON will survive! [Re: BrooksObs]
      #6250896 - 12/13/13 01:06 PM

Thanks for the info. Hopefully there will be some clear
skies for those days. Time to tune up the optics so that
every photon can be collected of this vanishing visitor to
our solar neighborhood.

PJ

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), star drop 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6440

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics