Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
ˇ Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt ˇ Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Sketching

Pages: 1
Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Reged: 08/08/07

Loc: La Union, PI
Jupiter 8 Dec 1800UT new
      #6241767 - 12/08/13 10:51 PM Attachment (23 downloads)

Well, long story on this one. More later, flocking removed, maintenance done, etc.

A few interesting things, though. Hey, that GRS leading cloud in the STempZ is orange? It certainly gave me the impression it is. It was beautiful and had to share it.

Also Christian mentioned the southern half of the GRS is darker. I think he's right, but it's been so difficult to really get it right. So, last night I took one snapshot of the GRS and put it up there as seen. It does have some darker aspects, but not sure if that is seeing boiling the colors or if it's real. Maybe it's real.

Oh, one prominent festoon had a broad, faint, and extensive plume stretching (what seemed to be) almost entirely across the EZ. Some darker NEB features were noted and the GRS wake seemed a bit more subdued than normal. I only managed one white oval and then only briefly. The entire northern region was kind of bland, as was the south.

Anyway, System I ~166, System II ~184, in Ant II seeing primarily, at 240x (8mm TMB II. Maybe go back to the Orthos, dunno.)

Edited by Asbytec (12/08/13 10:54 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
youngamateur42
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/21/12

Loc: La Verne, CA
Re: Jupiter 8 Dec 1800UT new [Re: Asbytec]
      #6241773 - 12/08/13 10:56 PM

Your sketch looks great, a great amount of Jovian detail can be seen with 6 inches. The GRS is looking better than ever, can't wait to get out under the stars. Also, the GRS does show differences in the colors. On good nights with my 12.5", sometimes, there's light swirls in it.

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: Jupiter 8 Dec 1800UT new [Re: youngamateur42]
      #6241787 - 12/08/13 11:05 PM

That southern edge of the SEB sloping south if the GRS really seems to add an asymmetric thickness to the belt as a whole. I'm seeing more color in the GRS from you this year - your mentioned it seemed more concentrated in color. That the steak belt preceding it is that color too makes me envious of this view. Had to be rewarding.

This isn't fair Norme - one lousy boiling view this year inches over a rooftop line of sight and you guys are being it in in spades. Paul Abel has a nice piece now as well. You guys compliment each others views.

The GRS wake seems to waver with detail from one on to the next . Very interesting. I know its the effects of where it is on globe or limb plus seeing. Still , interesting to see different renditions of the same view essentially.

Pete

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Re: Jupiter 8 Dec 1800UT new [Re: azure1961p]
      #6241800 - 12/08/13 11:13 PM

Justin, yes, when condition warrant a 6" us pretty capable aperture. I'd imagine your 12" rocks. Swirls? Man, what a thing to behold. I seriously doubt I could make them out, but not from a lack of trying. :-)

Pete, the GRS is so colorful this year. Gotta revisit Paul's sketch. I think the GRS is over the limb. I can only hope you get a spell of good conditions this winter. You gotta see this.

youngamateur42
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/21/12

Loc: La Verne, CA
      #6241807 - 12/08/13 11:16 PM

Norme, what brand is your telescope?

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Re: Jupiter 8 Dec 1800UT new [Re: youngamateur42]
      #6241845 - 12/08/13 11:49 PM

Orion 150 MCT with mods. My first Mak and its a keeper.

Edited by Asbytec (12/08/13 11:50 PM)

kenrenard
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/13/12

Loc: Dunmore, PA
      #6242089 - 12/09/13 06:57 AM

Norme,
Nice capture. The festoons are really beautiful.

Ken

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Re: Jupiter 8 Dec 1800UT new [Re: kenrenard]
      #6242112 - 12/09/13 07:29 AM

Ken, thank you. And thanks for the reminder. Man, the EZ is beginning to reveal some very weak contrasting detail. Did you see Paul's image, with the blue streamers in the EZ? Kind of like that only just barely, maybe, perceptible. Some very faint whites and some very difficult blue hues, like the ones sketched in from that festoon near the central meridian. Images show a huge mangle of stuff going on in the zone, but it's beyond reach. Maybe some of it can just barely be glimpsed, though.

Chopin
Canis Insanus

Reged: 02/03/05

Loc: In the doghouse.
      #6242814 - 12/09/13 02:45 PM

Norme, awesome observation. There is a ton going on with the Jovian surface features right now! That orange streak sliding into the GRS is very interesting indeed. I wish these clouds would just GO AWAY! Almost six straight days now...no sun, no stars. Freezing rain this morning, snow in the forecast for tomorrow. Ugh.

niteskystargazer
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/05/09

Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W
      #6243130 - 12/09/13 05:06 PM

Norme,

Nice sketch of Jupiter .

CS,KLU,

Tom

Jef De Wit
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/09

Loc: Hove, Belgium
Re: Jupiter 8 Dec 1800UT new [Re: niteskystargazer]
      #6244546 - 12/10/13 11:27 AM

Norme, you're posting really impressive Jupiter sketches. Keep them going!

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Re: Jupiter 8 Dec 1800UT new [Re: Jef De Wit]
      #6244643 - 12/10/13 12:19 PM

Jef, I dunno what to say. So many thank you's wear off after a while.

You should see the one captured tonight. It blew my own socks off. I am almost afraid to post it. Walked outside with a clean sheet of paper and came inside an hour later and even my own girlfriend doesn't believe me. And she's seen Jupiter.

Skill and determination can take you so far, the rest is all sky. Tonight I had 9/10 Pickering and a detailed face of Jupiter. There are nights when you have to brush the dirt for your knees after a silent prayer of thanks. Tonight was one of those nights.

Tom, same words...thank you.

PeterDob
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/29/05

Loc: CarĂš, Italy
Re: Jupiter 8 Dec 1800UT new [Re: Jef De Wit]
      #6244654 - 12/10/13 12:22 PM

Again an awesome sketch, Norme! According to me as well you've observed well because I too see hue differences in the GRS. Not sure about swirls though, but then again I'm limited to lower mags...

Peter

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Re: Jupiter 8 Dec 1800UT new [Re: PeterDob]
      #6244660 - 12/10/13 12:25 PM

Peter, I am happy for you. Well, the views you get, and wishing you could push a bit higher on the mag with your aperture.

Tamas Bognar
sage

Reged: 02/02/09

Loc: Hungary, Zákány
      #6246396 - 12/11/13 06:35 AM

Wow.. Nice capture!

frank5817
Postmaster

Reged: 06/13/06

Loc: Illinois
Re: Jupiter 8 Dec 1800UT new [Re: Tamas Bognar]
      #6249514 - 12/12/13 05:08 PM

Norme,

Congratulations on another stunning Jupiter sketch.
Truly remarkable subtle detail.

Frank

Dean Norris
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/05/08

Loc: Santa Cruz, Ca
Re: Jupiter 8 Dec 1800UT new [Re: frank5817]
      #6251951 - 12/13/13 11:36 PM

Norme,

Another great sketch. The little orange streak preceding the GRS is interesting. The color of this little streak is unusual. I hope to catch that feature if it's still around next time I view this region. I see you have sketched another little white oval in the SPR. These ovals have eluded me so far. The seeing has to be very good to catch one of these.

Dean

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Re: Jupiter 8 Dec 1800UT [Re: Dean Norris]
      #6252020 - 12/14/13 12:53 AM

Dean, that color was apparent and striking, but I'm not sure it was really there. Last night I could not repeat it, but then again using different eyepieces and magnification. The one above was with 8mmm TMB II, which I am starting to like. Last night was the usual HD Ortho and the color was not present. Weird, but I hope to see it again. Maybe it was there, dunno. Okay, look forward to your report.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, JayinUT, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 364

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics