Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Reged: 08/08/07

Loc: La Union, PI
Re: Where is Everybody? new [Re: ohioalfa64]
      #6255041 - 12/15/13 07:06 PM

Quote:

I have no interest in making an effort to contribute to astronomical research unless that contribution fell into my lap. I just love to feed my soul with the beauty and wonder of the heavens, and I enjoy playing around with optics so I do hang out in the gear forums too.

Me neither and me too. These interests influence the forums we tend to hang out in.

Quote:

There is no bad weather, just wrong clothing.

Kevin, Ohio, sure, work is a big deal, as is family and other activities we engage in. Before retirement, and interested only in deep sky, that combination left few moonless nights each month to actually get out even if the weather was generally nice. That's totally understandable and probably a major contributor in most people's lives.

Still, some threads will get hundreds of views and few comments. So quite a few are lurking. Nothing wrong with that, but surely some lurkers have something to say, some experience or expertise. Something to add, explain, share.

I hate the cold - spent nearly a year near the north pole. What was amazing is the weather in Canada and sometimes in the northern mid west the weather was pretty similar. Maybe only a few degrees difference...briskly cold. Right, Don?

In the tropics, there is 6 straight months of cloud cover - just now entering the observing season. CN does not have a mosquito graemlin, either.

So, yea, it seems when the cold rolls in, people roll out. Jupiter rises at a descent hour, and people roll in. People roll in and roll out. Still, compared to the membership roster or world wide number of amateurs, serious or otherwise, it seems relatively few...just a handful of "regulars" like a bar on a lonely corner in a small town.

Edited by Asbytec (12/15/13 07:13 PM)

nirvanix
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/07/07

Loc: Saskatoon, SK
Re: Where is Everybody? new [Re: ohioalfa64]
      #6255146 - 12/15/13 08:15 PM

My dob is chillin' in the back yard right now. I piled up all the snow into a huge mound and will make a snow cave later this week. Perhaps I will sleep in it one night.

Besides Jupiter, any recommendations for tonight . Moon is near full, guess I can look at what's left of the shady side.

I'll try for some doubles. Beta Monoceres is really nice (a triple).

kcb

Reged: 07/18/13

Loc: georgian bay,ontario
Re: Where is Everybody? new [Re: nirvanix]
      #6255192 - 12/15/13 08:35 PM

hi nirvanix,i guess i should report observations, and you are a fellow canadian so you understand that cold weather can bring dark transparent skies,i try not to miss them so i am lucky to have expensive well layered observing clothing and yes it can be harder to motivate yourself but with the right dress code some hot chocolate the cold can be great for your breathing and health,a runny nose can be a good thing under the stars,my skies are magnitude 6.2 and i live under 45 minutes from the worlds first dark sky reserve,torrence barrens,in the day time you are on a huge chunk of the canadian shield,and you actually look around thinking your on the lunar surface with all that grey miles of curvy rock,a bit off the topic of winter,a few nights ago the moon was high and lunar details through my 4'' f 15 skylight refractor were pleasing to the eye and i changed up scopes to a 10'' f 10 cassegrain to get a solid view of jupiters red spot,we are in for a treat this coming opposition as the red spot is actually red,a long time coming,chat with you all another time,kevin

kcb

Reged: 07/18/13

Loc: georgian bay,ontario
Re: Where is Everybody? new [Re: Asbytec]
      #6255207 - 12/15/13 08:42 PM

hi asbytec,
you mention a 150 mct, just wondering what make the scope is ? clear skies,kevin

nirvanix
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Where is Everybody? new [Re: kcb]
      #6255253 - 12/15/13 09:09 PM

Quote:

i live under 45 minutes from the worlds first dark sky reserve,torrence barrens,in the day time you are on a huge chunk of the canadian shield,and you actually look around thinking your on the lunar surface with all that grey miles of curvy rock

I didn't know about torrence barrens, thanks. I used to go up that way when I lived in Ontario 20 years ago.

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Re: Where is Everybody? new [Re: kcb]
      #6255481 - 12/15/13 11:32 PM

Quote:

hi asbytec,
you mention a 150 mct, just wondering what make the scope is ? clear skies,kevin

It's the Orion 150 MCT. Picked it up new and cheap on close out sale a few years ago. It gets a lot of use here in the tropics where the weather is moderate and the seeing behaves for about 6 months. Gotta get in all our year's observing in a few short months.

Nirv, literally "chillin" I suppose? Clear skies...

David Gray
sage

Reged: 08/06/12

Loc: Co. Durham UK
Re: Where is Everybody? new [Re: Asbytec]
      #6255631 - 12/16/13 03:03 AM

The going/having to work factor: Yes that is a nuisance – getting in the way!

Recent weeks I had occasion to go through my Saturn observations for most of the 1990s on a BAA matter - I should be doing '98/99 now! Observing sessions for those apparitions vary from 50 to 103 nights. That was just one subject: my Jupiter files were huge some years; then I have masses of other observations for those years alone – and all this in cloudy/”grubby” (to southerners!) n’east England.

My work (bakery) background then was:

Alternating shift-weeks (nights/days).

Nightshift weeks: 6 shifts 55-58 hours; 6 a.m. finish (Saturday a.m. usually later)

Dayshift weeks: 5 shifts 48-52 hours; 6.a.m. start finish times variable.

Then add 1hr/day travel times plus more for other related matters. This pattern actually 1965-98; (very long dayshifts prior: ’59-65) then 3½ yrs of all nightshift; then 7yrs of 4:30 a.m. to whenever starting. Then retirement!

Had I a 9-5 job I might have at least doubled the above output…!

Retirement –here are some things I started to get sick of hearing:

“You are going to get bored with all that time on your hands with nothing to do”; empty-headed moron-speak.

“You are going to have all the time in the world now to do what you want.” Really – at near 70 now! In actuality as far as my observing-endeavours go only as long as my visual acuity remains intact – then I will definitely disappear from observing forums etc. At this stage of life my vision could deteriorate any time in spite of my continuing best efforts to maintain the good sight I was blessed with. But I am doing my best to do all the things I want but the workload is getting daunting – hence my periodic CN absences. But hope I have paid my work-life dues to enjoy a few years of "please myself"!

Bakery-work: ok not the hardest in the world – but it’s not granny-in-the kitchen either; as I have seen some being shocked to find. In a semi-mechanised craft bakery there is a lot of heavy (hot!) fast-paced (deadlines etc!) manual work

nirvanix
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Where is Everybody? new [Re: David Gray]
      #6255651 - 12/16/13 03:41 AM

Ever bake an astro-themed something-or-other?

To the people that say: “You are going to get bored with all that time on your hands with nothing to do”, I say "when an ox isn't hooked up to the plow it has no purpose in life, but an eagle soars and hunts at its leisure"

It's 2:30am here and I just came in from looking at Jupiter/moon but there is a lot of moisture in the sky so transparency is about 1/5. I'll try again before sunrise.

David Gray
sage

#6255656 - 12/16/13 04:02 AM

Quote:

Ever bake an astro-themed something-or-other?

Can't say I have.

Was once consulted on a Saturn-themed birthday cake motif.

However my zeal for correctness was not 'kiddie-winkie' enough for the management!

But my produce was stellar .

Cheers,
Dave.

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
      #6255764 - 12/16/13 07:52 AM

Oh my gosh i did e swing shift - did it for eight years. In my thirties I rolled with it. Even preferred third shift. I tried it in my late forties - against my wifes pressing that Im older now - she was right, I was miserable. I take my hat off Dave, I couldn't have done it for as long as you did.

Pete

Edited by azure1961p (12/16/13 08:03 AM)

David Gray
sage

Re: Where is Everybody? new [Re: azure1961p]
      #6255778 - 12/16/13 08:11 AM

Thanks Pete,

Another diverting distraction I failed to include being a series of regular (one at a time ) girlfriends - I married my 10th - my steadfast soul-mate!

Looking back there must have been more hours in a day

Cheers,
Dave.

Michael Rapp
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/27/04

Loc: Dickinson, TX
      #6255834 - 12/16/13 09:03 AM

To take a broader view, sometimes I wonder -- based on personal experience -- is that people get sucked in by the siren song of imaging and after spending all that money on the mount and camera, realize that planetary imaging is hard, time-consuming, ridiculously seeing-dependent, tedious, and the processing can be dreadfully boring at times.

Then, after having run the thousandth AVI through Registax and failing to get the expected accolades on the ten billionth blurry image of Jupiter, lose interest....

...and forget the joy and peace and sense of wonder of looking at a sharp planet in the eyepiece trying to tease out subtle detail on planets in which a thousand earths would fit.

(Wow, that came across as far more depressing than I intended. Also makes me seem critical about imaging, which I most certainly am not! Am I making sense? This coffee is weak this morning...)

nirvanix
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Where is Everybody? new [Re: Michael Rapp]
      #6256118 - 12/16/13 11:41 AM

Michael, it seems like you found a good compromise with the Mallincam? I was just visiting the Night Skies Network last night. I wish more of those Mallincam guys were active on there.

Michael Rapp
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/27/04

Loc: Dickinson, TX
      #6256417 - 12/16/13 02:44 PM

Yes and no.

With good seeing, the planetary view through the Mallincam is spectacular live. One of the broadcasters has a 25" Obsession and the views, with no processing what-so-ever, are better than the Pioneer photos of the 1970s in the excellent seeing we get down here during the summer.

With mediocre seeing, you'll often see better with your eye as the camera just can't keep up with the seeing undulations.

I drifted away from using my MCX on the planets as it is a lot of effort to set up my particular rig (maybe not for others) and I really need a good 2-3 hours to make it worthwhile for me.

(While not relevant to planetary observing, another reason I've drifted away from the camera is that it was just too easy to do deep sky. When I saw Leo I after hitting just a few buttons on the mount to slew to it, all the challenge had evaporated for me. Now, if I did not have access to a dark site, I would probably be 100% Mallicamming.)

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Re: Where is Everybody? new [Re: Michael Rapp]
      #6256780 - 12/16/13 06:39 PM

Micheal, you touch on something that makes my 6" a pleasure to use. The challenge. Owning a 6" today is almost like reliving my childhood observing through my home made 6" Newt. I welcome the challenge but with decades of experience this time.

I was drawn in by the lure of imaging back in the mid 90s. Cameras, software, and techniques were not quite as good, at least not the set up I put together, and the results were not nearly as good as folks put out today. Imaging seems to have come a long way. Back then, anyway, it too a lot of time to set up and align everything. And it separated me from the subject. So, today there is more time to actually become one with the object.

I find that an enjoyable challenge and the result is also enjoyable to discuss with others doing the same thing and posting their own views. To me, this is what makes amateur astronomy social networking the place to be. So, maybe it's natural to be curious about where everyone else is.

David, for a second there I thought you were ranting about being retired. I was ready to set the record straight. It sounds like you are making the best of it, as am I when the weather cooperates. Really, it wasn't even until I retired before I became a regular in this forum. More time observing and more time to discuss those observations with others.

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: Where is Everybody? [Re: Asbytec]
      #6256901 - 12/16/13 07:42 PM

Dave,

LOL, there were definitely more hours in a day - and more hours in a night!!

Pete

David Gray
sage

Re: Where is Everybody? new [Re: azure1961p]
      #6259921 - 12/18/13 11:40 AM

Yeehay good seeing at last – well excellent actually!

Er....yes

I had returned to my Saturn ‘98/99 report, so may not have reappeared on CN for at least the rest of the week. But it cleared last night and saw Vega high in the west slowly blinking gently: so seeing had to be great……..Yes!!

There was two-tier patchy cloud: some high mackerel and very low-fast thinner patches racing northward, noticeably across the moon, and a degree of haze overall.

Uranus looked striated/banded straight off. Taking a look just now on ALPO-J I see that Stan had got a light area at the presented hemisphere 5 days ago but I had noticed none. Maybe I’d not got my eye in after a long spell away from the planet and the transparency not ideal.

After Uranus went to 27 Psc and used the Zeiss-Wildey 14mm Monocentric (x485) and got a sparkling view – like a mini-Izar. Considering posting if time – (back to Saturn).

Then (same eyepiece) Jupiter was ideally dimmed by the clouds with good detail. Then cloud increase thwarted my plans for Orion doubles.

Retirement is so laborious!

Cheers,
Dave.

nirvanix
Carpal Tunnel

#6259936 - 12/18/13 11:50 AM

Nice report Dave. What scope did you use at x485? Notice any good details on Jupiter?

David Gray
sage

#6259949 - 12/18/13 11:58 AM

Quote:

Nice report Dave. What scope did you use at x485? Notice any good details on Jupiter?

My thanks - just posted the obs. here!

Cheers,
Dave.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
4 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), star drop, dr.who 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1640

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics